• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr

March Banter 2020

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

My law firm closed today. It is likely we will be closed for another two - three weeks but that isn't confirmed. All state court jury trials - civil and criminal are canceled through April 3  These are appropriate moves to try and keep the curve from being too steep. It's a pain for me to work from home, but, really, the least I can do to try and stay healthy and keep those around me healthy. Including my mother who is high risk to die if she gets this at her age and with her co-morbidities. 

Yeah my girlfriend works for Siemens and they told her to work from home remotely starting on Monday. Fortunately she has that luxury....I do not, but I dont see how my business can close unless the gov't forces it. I dont think the coronavirus is gonna stop diesel trucks from breaking down lol

54 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It wasn't concentrated in a few weeks. The death rate was miniscule compared to this. How is this so hard to grasp?

While it could certainly end up being a higher death rate, no one can conclusively say until you have a firm handle on identifying all which have/had the virus in this country. We are nowhere near that point...

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

It wasn't concentrated in a few weeks. The death rate was miniscule compared to this. How is this so hard to grasp?

The exact same was said during the early days of swine flu.  As more data piled up, that mortality rate dropped sharply.  This will too IMO.

The exact same was said during the early days of swine flu.  As more data piled up, that mortality rate dropped sharply.  This will too IMO.

Even so, this is so easy. Look at what is happening in Lombardy. Look at what happened in Wuhan. Nothing near that happened anywhere during Swine Flu.
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, you have to work with the data you have. 

Hopefully it’s far less potent, but we shouldn’t necessarily assume that a novel virus will take on certain characteristics of past viruses like having a lower mortality rate or cutting back during warmer months.

We have to communicate a middle ground. It’s not the end times, but it’s not business as usual either. Hope for the best but take science-informed actions now to prevent the worst. 

Comparing this to previous outbreaks is dumb.  Each time its a unique strain of virus that behaves differently. We simply have no idea what it will do here.  Our older citizens are rightfully concerned.

• Like 2

Be as cavalier as you want, I guess, but there's this from my industry (law firms/legal):

BREAKING: Davis Wright Staffer Dies After Leaving Work With Flu-Like Symptoms

A Davis Wright Tremaine LLP executive legal assistant who worked in Washington state and left work on Tuesday after reporting flu-like symptoms has died, the firm announced Friday, adding that it will close two of its offices in the state and a third location in Portland.

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

Comparing this to previous outbreaks is dumb.  Each time its a unique strain of virus that behaves differently. We simply have no idea what it will do here.  Our older citizens are rightfully concerned.

As they should be.  It's everyone else acting like it's the end of the world.  

10 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Be as cavalier as you want, I guess, but there's this from my industry (law firms/legal):

BREAKING: Davis Wright Staffer Dies After Leaving Work With Flu-Like Symptoms

A Davis Wright Tremaine LLP executive legal assistant who worked in Washington state and left work on Tuesday after reporting flu-like symptoms has died, the firm announced Friday, adding that it will close two of its offices in the state and a third location in Portland.

You dont even know if he had covid19.  Might've died of a heart attack or car wreck.

58 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Even so, this is so easy. Look at what is happening in Lombardy. Look at what happened in Wuhan. Nothing near that happened anywhere during Swine Flu.

You're right,  for swine flu it was actually young healthy people dying.  Not to discount the value of older people in any way.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

really???

Yes really.  Forgive me for not joining in the hysteria and actually waiting for the facts before I head to the store for more toilet paper.

You're right,  for swine flu it was actually young healthy people dying.  Not to discount the value of older people in any way.

I’m not taking about the number of people dying (though ultimately, I am), it is the absolute overwhelming of hospitals. I think at this point it’s clear we are gonna agree to disagree though so I’ll drop it!

9 minutes ago, splashman said:

Been a lurker here for years because I can't hold a candle to the weather knowledge in this community - but wanted to share the best write up I have read to date on this and why we should be taking it very seriously (like yesterday): https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

My last day as a teacher for awhile, so I took the opportunity to educate my students on the need to “flatten the curve.” Not one of them admitted to knowing what the term meant beforehand, but after our discussion, all agreed that in spite that their chances of serious illness is slim, they should do all they can to avoid getting it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

For those who insist on comparing COVID-19 to the flu-

Aches and pains, sore throat, fever – although they may feel similar to those suffering from their symptoms, the novel coronavirus is not the same as the seasonal flu, experts stressed Wednesday.

COVID-19, the illness caused by coronavirus, proves deadly in around 3.5 percent of confirmed cases.

While this is not the same as its mortality rate, given many people may be infected but not realise it, it is significantly higher than seasonal flu, which typically kills 0.1 percent of patients.

"There is still considerable uncertainty around the fatality rates of COVID-19 and it likely varies depending on the quality of local healthcare," said Francois Balloux, Professor of Computational Systems Biology at University College London.

"That said, it is around two percent on average, which is about 20 times higher than for the seasonal flu lineages currently in circulation."

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-new-coronavirus-isn-t-like-the-flu-but-they-have-one-big-thing-in-common

And we aren't even close to sniffing a vaccine at this point.

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

For those who insist on comparing COVID-19 to the flu-

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-new-coronavirus-isn-t-like-the-flu-but-they-have-one-big-thing-in-common

And we aren't even close to sniffing a vaccine at this point.

Nasal vaccines are generally less effective than shots.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Nasal vaccines are generally less effective than shots.

Loving that FCPS is now closed through the 14th of April lol.  Lots of distance learning looks like