joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Wintry threats till May this year? Lol

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_52.png

Buffalo received 8" of snow on May 8th in 1989

7th-8th…A late season snowstorm dropped up to twelve inches of snow across the western southern tier, Niagara Frontier and the Finger Lakes area. At Buffalo just under eight inches was recorded while at Rochester just over 10 inches fell. The snowfall established many new weather records for both cities. The snow covered the entire ten county area. The heavy, wet snow downed power lines and trees which took down more power lines when they fell. As lines fell, power poles were snapped. Nearly 13,000 customers were without electricity in much of Orleans and parts of northeast Genesee and western Monroe counties. Numerous scattered minor outages were also reported. Some roofs collapsed from the weight of the snow. Plows and salters were called out to clear roadways, though much of the snow was melting as it fell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Buffalo received 8" of snow on May 8th in 1989

7th-8th…A late season snowstorm dropped up to twelve inches of snow across the western southern tier, Niagara Frontier and the Finger Lakes area. At Buffalo just under eight inches was recorded while at Rochester just over 10 inches fell. The snowfall established many new weather records for both cities. The snow covered the entire ten county area. The heavy, wet snow downed power lines and trees which took down more power lines when they fell. As lines fell, power poles were snapped. Nearly 13,000 customers were without electricity in much of Orleans and parts of northeast Genesee and western Monroe counties. Numerous scattered minor outages were also reported. Some roofs collapsed from the weight of the snow. Plows and salters were called out to clear roadways, though much of the snow was melting as it fell.

I remember April 1989.  About half the month was snowy, cold in the Binghamton area. It was right before I went in the Navy.  I think we had a nice early April, even had temps in the 70s & 80s IIRC...and then all hell broke loose.

I know there's this corona thing going on but for just a brief moment let's see if we can focus on next Monday's wind potential. If realized thus could be a pretty damaging scenario unfolding for the more densely populated parts of the Niag Frontier Late Monday morn through way Monday night. The NWS has stated winds may be SUSTAINED at 50mph for some time that afternoon with gusts to 70mph, which I would think hit 80 in spots of Niagara and Orleans cos. What we certainly do not need now are widespread power outages for days due to an event like this. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Wind picked up and this covered the ground. @DeltaT13 Would this be considered sleet or graupel?

u6ciRLA.jpg

I would definitely call it graupel.  Sleet by definition should be fully melted and then refrozen into virtually pure ice balls/pellets.  Surface temps should be below freezing for textbook sleet too. I like the suggestion of sloppel though, haha. 

• Haha 3

Rochester is probably going to add a couple inches to the yearly snowfall today. I can’t recall the last time it was snowing this hard and sticking in April. Probably more recent than I realize but I’ll have to dig out the weather journal confirm.

A cold crappy April will make sheltering in place a lot more tolerable. Once the weather really breaks people are going to lose their minds staying inside. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Rochester is probably going to add a couple inches to the yearly snowfall today. I can’t recall the last time it was snowing this hard and sticking in April. Probably more recent than I realize but I’ll have to dig out the weather journal confirm.

A cold crappy April will make sheltering in place a lot more tolerable. Once the weather really breaks people are going to lose their minds staying inside. 

April 2017 had 2 synoptic events. I have pictures on my phone from both. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I know there's this corona thing going on but for just a brief moment let's see if we can focus on next Monday's wind potential. If realized thus could be a pretty damaging scenario unfolding for the more densely populated parts of the Niag Frontier Late Monday morn through way Monday night. The NWS has stated winds may be SUSTAINED at 50mph for some time that afternoon with gusts to 70mph, which I would think hit 80 in spots of Niagara and Orleans cos. What we certainly do not need now are widespread power outages for days due to an event like this. 

Im following this closely. The long duration could bring substantial flooding to the shorelines and waves could be massive. The fall storm comes to mind and that one devastated the shorelines and caused millions of damage on the Canadian side alone. 

Im going to wait another 24 hours before I sound the alarm for my inlaws who live only 20 feet from the shore. The breakwall held up okay in the Fall storm but suffered some damage which has yet to be fixed. Ill be heading down on monday regardless to check this out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

Im following this closely. The long duration could bring substantial flooding to the shorelines and waves could be massive. The fall storm comes to mind and that one devastated the shorelines and caused millions of damage on the Canadian side alone. 

Im going to wait another 24 hours before I sound the alarm for my inlaws who live only 20 feet from the shore. The breakwall held up okay in the Fall storm but suffered some damage which has yet to be fixed. Ill be heading down on monday regardless to check this out. 

This storm has the ear marks of a real doozy.  Things working in its favor include a real nice pocket of isallobaric pressure rises sliding through WNY and the fact that its still deepening significantly as it passes by to our NW. 

Things working against it would be timing of the frontal passage, it currently looks to occur a tad too late to fully utilize diurnal mixing when the steepest lapse rates begin to move through; this only needs to change by a few hours to make a big difference though.  High wind events in late Spring have the ability to really tap the high sun angle and create very deep mixing bringing down the strongest winds.   

The Niagara frontier is incredibly battle hardened over the past 5 years with over a dozen events with winds above 60mph, several above 70mph, and one above 80mph, so that works in our favor of clearing out the weak and damaged trees and limbs, thus limiting damage.  On the other hand, a lot of trees have budded out significantly and that adds weight and resistance, plus anything over 70mph starts to take down even the strongest trees. Antecedent conditions also aren't overly wet, but we might get a good soaking in the warm sector which will certain soften things up.  

A very fun and exciting storm to be tracking after winter sputtered away to nothing....

• Like 4

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

This storm has the ear marks of a real doozy.  Things working in its favor include a real nice pocket of isallobaric pressure rises sliding through WNY and the fact that its still deepening significantly as it passes by to our NW. 

Things working against it would be timing of the frontal passage, it currently looks to occur a tad too late to fully utilize diurnal mixing when the steepest lapse rates begin to move through; this only needs to change by a few hours to make a big difference though.  High wind events in late Spring have the ability to really tap the high sun angle and create very deep mixing bringing down the strongest winds.   

The Niagara frontier is incredibly battle hardened over the past 5 years with over a dozen events with winds above 60mph, several above 70mph, and one above 80mph, so that works in our favor of clearing out the weak and damaged trees and limbs, thus limiting damage.  On the other hand, a lot of trees have budded out significantly and that adds weight and resistance, plus anything over 70mph starts to take down even the strongest trees. Antecedent conditions also aren't overly wet, but we might get a good soaking in the warm sector which will certain soften things up.  

A very fun and exciting storm to be tracking after winter sputtered away to nothing....

Great...More of my fence is going to blow away... :cry:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Whats your thoughts on Lake Erie waves and seiche. The inlaws live in the port maitland area of Lake Erie in Haldimand County and got slammed by the fall storm. Think the waves and seiche will be similar? 3 weeks ago I bought a Kestrel weather meter so im excited to try it out in a storm and not just in my suburban backyard haha.