Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid to Long Range Threats

Rjay

Just now, Rtd208 said:

Guy, you beating a dead horse. We all know that. Just like you are beating a dead horse saying "this winter sucks" 50 times in every thread on two different forums. Come on I expect better from you.

I'm just commenting on his post. I think that's  what he means. What do you want me to say ?

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

Warm storm for thursday, but looks like a true arctic blast for a change this winter on friday. Could struggle to make it out of the 20s that day. Just a brief arctic blast though ... will go right back to the warm pattern very quickly.

Will probably modify into 30s and low 20s at night. 

2 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Warm storm for thursday, but looks like a true arctic blast for a change this winter on friday. Could struggle to make it out of the 20s that day. Just a brief arctic blast though ... will go right back to the warm pattern very quickly.

Yea to me it's a waste, I don't need to freeze between two rainstorms, rather have Spring if the pattern never changes

14 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

GFS not caving with the colder solution for Thursday, I don't trust it at all but it will either score a coup or I will never bother looking at this model again

The GFS isn’t caving from being the worst model out there. Its severe cold bias is well known now

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

It's unfortunate that it runs 4 times a day so it's harder to avoid looking at but I am done with this model if it's really this bad 4 days before a storm.

Gfs shifted southeast from 12z. Gfs had led the way a few times this winter.  Let's see if it gets this right. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 4

6 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Gfs shifted southeast from 12z. Gfs had led the way a few times this winter.  Let's see if it gets this right. 

Its shifted SE the last 4 runs but none of the other models are trending (CMC actually has been trending north each run) so it's either onto something no other model is seeing or it's in complete lala land.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

As in all things in life Ant, you NEVER give up. Never...

If you live in the city especially, this winter is pretty much toast.  March can't make up for the whole season. That'd be like having a cool and wet JJA with terrible beach weather and then hoping September corrects it with 90's and sun.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Make up for the whole season what? Total snowfall?

My point is simple, those who enjoy winter around here want cold temps and long periods of snow cover.  Have we had that this season?  Of course not, and so even if March is a rockin month that won't make this an A grade winter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For relevant context, my winter idea was warm, but not warm enough. Snowfall for NYC was shown to be somewhat below normal and below normal in Philadelphia to Washington, DC.

The statistical probability of April's having a mean temperature of 48° or below (referenced CFSv2 map), which last occurred in 1975 (47.9°), is now less than 1% on account of the warming that has occurred since then. The coldest April since then was April 2018 (49.5°). The last similarly cold or colder April prior to 1975 was April 1943 (46.9°). So, even before the warming of recent decades, such a monthly temperature was a fairly uncommon event.

With shorter wave lengths in April, one can't profile the months using teleconnections or ENSO. However, there has been one powerful clue somewhat prior to the start of exceptionally cold Aprils: the presence of severely cold air relative to normal across much or all of Canada during the second half of March.

March 16-31, 1943:

March16-31-1943.jpg

March 16-31, 1975:

March16-31-1975.jpg

From this far out, not even the best ensemble systems can reliably forecast anomalies at such timeframes. Forecasts for extremes need to be backed by strong evidence precisely because extremes are, by definition, low probability scenarios.

In the end, while I am not sure whether April will wind up cooler or warmer than normal at this point in February, the climate record (especially when one considers the observed ongoing warming) strongly argues against the kind of scenario on the CFSv2 map (also at very low skill at this timeframe).

• Like 1