Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

0z EPS was a notable step towards a favorable outcome (not all rain) next weekend. I don't disagree with anyone about the flaws but spiking the all rain football can come back and bite. There is a deep/cold airmass in advance that needs to be scoured. The whole setup to me looks like a common front end thump/mix/rain or dryslot. It's not convoluted or unusual. It's a bread and butter setup that can break good or bad. 

The airmass in front is reason to pause the argument the first storm in a pattern change never works out. 

If we trying to get the cold to catch up to the precip that often fails especially in the southern part of our region. That is not the case with next weekends system. of course things may look different but as of now it's a decent if not really good look at some frozen accumulation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

The airmass in front is reason to pause the argument the first storm in a pattern change never works out. 

If we trying to get the cold to catch up to the precip that often fails especially in the southern part of our region. That is not the case with next weekends system. of course things may look different but as of now it's a decent if not really good look at some frozen accumulation.

We have no way to know how stout or weak that cold airmass will be. If it trends into a piece of crap shallow cold then I'll punt. Nothing is resolved other than some sort of precip event is likely and there might be some cold in the vicinity. 

• Like 2

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

The general look is ok, but verbatim we would be fighting cold/dry, and any wave that amps would tend to take a NW track without perfect timing. Might be a decent pattern for several smaller events.

Agree, I am hoping we do get some undercutting events and a period or two of an active STJ.  Extreme cold not needed, as many here have stated the last several days. Rather have multiple storm chances, to score in at least a couple. Some MJO phases I believe further down the road may support a -NAO and I do favor later in the season for a Davis Straits block.   

5 minutes ago, frd said:

Agree, I am hoping we do get some undercutting events and a period or two of an active STJ.  Extreme cold not needed, as many here have stated the last several days. Rather have multiple storm chances, to score in at least a couple. Some MJO phases I believe further down the road may support a -NAO and I do favor later in the season for a Davis Straits block.   

We should celebrate any prog that shows it's possible to snow going forward. The current ugly period looks like it will end up being a full month of a garbage winter pattern. We got lucky and snuck an event in but imagine if that didnt happen. A full month of met winter with a disasterous pattern...

At this point I just want to be in the game again...

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We should celebrate any prog that shows it's possible to snow going forward. The current ugly period looks like it will end up being a full month of a garbage winter pattern. We got lucky and snuck an event in but imagine if that didnt happen. A full month of met winter with a disasterous pattern...

At this point I just want to be in the game again...

Bob, do you recall what happened in our area last Jan from the 21 st to the 30 th ?

bluewave was mentioning just moments ago the pattern portrayed below is a very close match to last year during that time period.

3BC8CD4C-1A79-4100-9D09-12E33BB7DDF1.png.4784d12a02fff1e1e202451463bce7a3.png

248ADD86-6A3B-4E79-B84C-0D9F7241AE04.gif.177068289d96898cd466228416d519dd.gif

For those who worried Canada would be scoured of cold I just looked and knew it was going to be cold up there, but some of these numbers and the expanse of the arctic air is remarkable. So, there is your cold air source for down the road.

https://www.timescolonist.com/strong-winds-snow-on-b-c-s-south-coast-snow-deep-freeze-in-the-north-1.24049987

Allen was hitting this in the SE forum so I don’t want to take any credit but for whatever reason (likely the fact January has the broadest most stable wavelengths of winter) phase 7 just in January is actually a really good phase. It’s temps are skewed warm on the seasonal charts because in Feb it becomes a warm phase and 8 takes on a similar h5 look phase 7 has in January. But assuming we can get into 7 in January and then by February it’s either moved on to 8 or simple dies that’s a good look. 

Phase 7 h5 composite for January. Sorry but I will not pay for the chiropractic services you may require to see the image. 

DC82136E-6E26-4448-A603-8371F3840CBD.thumb.jpeg.dec01933598511be767c778b03210d19.jpeg

32 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

^looks a lot like the Eps. I said just the other day the phase 7 composite looked a lot like the progs minus the ao and NAO. Well...

22 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

GFS not backing down on the mega NAO block as we near D10.  A sight to see for sure.....

2 weeks ago when I looked at past similar pac patterns and how they progressed it struck me how almost all the comps that evolved to a good look were accompanied by at least a period of blocking in the AO or NAO domain during the transition.  A few days ago when the guidance showed the pattern progressing to an Epo ridge without a flip in the NAM state I was like “that’s not how it’s happened before but that works”. Now suddenly a more historically supported progression is showing up on guidance. As usual climo beats guidance at long range most of the time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m going to spend the rest of the day worried about the Uber block cutter on the op gfs at day 12 

Just havin fun. I know u know. Very abrupt stuff going on compared to what we wete looking at 7-10 days ago. There's not a computer or person who knows how all this is going to shake out. Could be epic or could be abject failure. The good thing is we can just about rule out abject failure as a lock. Fun times figuring this out. Like most of everything I see

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic