Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Yet you have no internet in a school district 

They have internet.  Just crappy slow stuff.  
The state doesn’t install stuff but they can create grants.  That’s how Princeton got it after decades.  That town is pretty $$$ compared to mine but we have had broadband since we moved here in 1998 (I think).  
My wife’s school does really well despite having Commodore 64 level internet.  Lol

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They have internet.  Just crappy slow stuff.  
The state doesn’t install stuff but they can create grants.  That’s how Princeton got it after decades.  That town is pretty $$$ compared to mine but we have had broadband since we moved here in 1998 (I think).  
My wife’s school does really well despite having Commodore 64 level internet.  Lol

Western MA has huge high speed internet gaps in the rural towns.  

14 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Western MA has huge high speed internet gaps in the rural towns.  

Tell me about it, I know. The Berkshire hilltowns have it worse than I do in many cases, which is why I ruled them out for moving to.

The MA hilltowns have Verizon and they're not upgrading/fixing the copper wire infrastructure and are not taking new DSL customers from what I'm told. If you don't have cell, you're screwed unless you get satellite. At least Consolidated will take new customers (if you can get them to show up, lol) and I have VDSL2 which is faster (~9-9.5 mbps down, 1-1.25 mbps up) than the traditional DSL which is usually 1-3 mbps down. 

• Like 1

Really enjoying the last 2 days.  Cold, crisp with about 4" of snow.  Despite 30s today, very little melting, tomorrow should do much in shaded areas.  Just the feeling of winter with a nice fire in the woodstove, long walks through the woods with the dog, a chance to look at tracks of all kinds of animals, also great visibility with no leaves.  I love days like this and the ability to walk everywhere without deep snow or snowshoes.  Was looking today over to Highland Mountain in Northfield, NH where Brian lives.  How high is that mountain Brian?  Noticeable difference in snowfall?

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Ice fishermen were out on Barton Cove on the CT River this morning! 

How thick do you think the ice is? The smaller ponds around here look solid, I see some open water on some of the larger deep lakes in the area.

Upper 30's today, not much melting, just a little softening of the ice pack, tomorrow should do a number on the pack.

6 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

How thick do you think the ice is? The smaller ponds around here look solid, I see some open water on some of the larger deep lakes in the area.

Upper 30's today, not much melting, just a little softening of the ice pack, tomorrow should do a number on the pack.

I was visiting some of the woods I tap in the spring and drove by Bigelow Hollow - I saw several people ice fishing out there and that's just south of you. 

3 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

A friend of mine fished Cranberry Pond in Sunderland/Leverett and told me 4" of black ice.  That's pretty solid.  It's also been real cold here this week, today was first day above freezing and it's already back down in the mid-20's.  

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Man what an inversion right now. EEN 9° and CON 11° while Gene and other high elevation stations are above 32°. Stuck in the middle with you here wih a low of 20°. Should be a nice one once we mix this crap out. 

10-11F this morning here in the valley with freezing fog and mist...while it’s 31F at the picnic tables.  Still only 17F at 9am.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

10-11F this morning here in the valley with freezing fog and mist...while it’s 31F at the picnic tables.  Still only 17F at 9am.

Mixing out now. Up to 31F here. 8F at EEN this morning. Well into the 40s now at the higher els in the southern half of NH.