• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour

E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2019/2020 OBS Thread

We have partical sunshine here.   38degrees  WNW @ 22 and gusting around 30.  When I was out earlier judging by the branches down and trees swaying we definitely experienced higher gusts earlier.

Will I see a flurry Sunday morning?  We had brief white rain last Sunday afternoon and it sure looked nice.  Gotta take any little bit 

Lot's of moving parts but there is a chance of a fluke next week. It will likely fail but there is a chance we thread the needle. I mean we're due right?

27 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Lot's of moving parts but there is a chance of a fluke next week. It will likely fail but there is a chance we thread the needle. I mean we're due right?

More wet flakes mixing here at the moment. Looks like some more snow showers back building. We take.

10 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Define odd winter:   a few hours separating 60F and thunderstorms from 42F and snow.  

Getting a snow shower here too, 39F. Cool, had a tornado warning in the morning and snow in the afternoon! I wonder if that's in the Wiggum rule handbook?

Also, that's the 2nd tornado warning here in 4 months lol - November and February. Whodathunkit?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks like a semi-decent clump of snow forming to the W. I should receive a little something from that...won't stick but will be cool to see.

3 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Yep, getting a pretty good snow shower right now -- probably a top 3 event for this winter. 35F.

Windy ass flizzard for the past 20 min. Looking at radar a little more to go...may be the highlight of winter.

• Sad 1

about 1-2 hours of sometimes decent flurry activity. (8 to 9:30) Light whitening of roofs and the edge of the road  temp 31. As of now broken clouds and 34. Lets see what happens tonight!

Didn't think the storms were all that bad IMBY yesterday, but I was wrong. My end of the street is fine, but a few 100 yards at the other end, these's a downed tree, utility pole and plenty of large limbs. I've seen the same thing driving around the Lansdale/Towamecin area today. Not sure how I lucked out w/o any damage, but glad I did.

Had that fluke in Jan 2016 not occurred, we would be going on 6 straight met winters with 0 snow events >6".  7 out 10 met winters this decade featured no snow events > 6". PHL is now in their 4th straight met winter with zero snow events >6" with the largest snowfall being 4.1". 

A similar met winter drought came in the late 80's/early 90's. The winter's of 87-88, 88-89, 89-90, 90-91, 91-92, 92-93, 93-94 all did not record a single snowfall > 6" during met winter. Hopefully we are not in a repeat of that cycle...

2 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Had that fluke in Jan 2016 not occurred, we would be going on 6 straight met winters with 0 snow events >6".  7 out 10 met winters this decade featured no snow events > 6". PHL is now in their 4th straight met winter with zero snow events >6" with the largest snowfall being 4.1". 

A similar met winter drought came in the late 80's/early 90's. The winter's of 87-88, 88-89, 89-90, 90-91, 91-92, 92-93, 93-94 all did not record a single snowfall > 6" during met winter. Hopefully we are not in a repeat of that cycle...

Go back farther....there was a stretch I remember reading that was most of the 70s same thing. Was like a 12 year run with one storm >6" or something crazy. This is the norm actually.....those runs where we have blizzard years consecutively etc are the true flukes. 

4 hours ago, The Iceman said:

No 6" events there in 2015? 

43 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Light snow here and 33F. I wish - actually a few raindrops and 45F.

Lol...you almost made me get off the couch and look at the porch light! :blink:

• Haha 1