• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2019/2020 OBS Thread

Rtd208

I ended up with 1.87" of rain on Saturday and yesterday I discovered that my Snowdrops had emerged and are blooming, so there's that! :D

Also had to swerve around groundhog roadkill yesterday, so they are apparently awake and moving above ground instead of sleeping. :blink: The Punxsutawney handlers may end up trying to pull Phil out of his burrow next weekend and discover he is long gone foraging elsewhere. :lol:

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I ended up with 1.87" of rain on Saturday and yesterday I discovered that my Snowdrops had emerged and are blooming, so there's that! :D

Also had to swerve around groundhog roadkill yesterday, so they are apparently awake and moving above ground instead of sleeping. :blink: The Punxsutawney handlers may end up trying to pull Phil out of his burrow next weekend and discover he is long gone foraging elsewhere. :lol:

Squirells are out in full force to

Here in Chester County PA we finished January as the 10th warmest 1st month of a year at 36.5 degrees the top 10 including this year are:

• 1932 - 42.4 / 1913 - 39.5 / 1950 - 39.5 / 1998 - 38.7 / 1933 - 38.5 / 2006 - 38.4 / 1937 - 38.2 / 1990 - 37.3 / 1906 - 37.1

We also finished with the 44th least January snow at just 3.8". Of note this is also the 29th least snowy season to date with only 5.8" of snow so far. The 28 previous times with this little snow to date - only 4x did we finish w/above normal snowfall (36") for the season. The average ending snow totals for those 28 seasons is only 19.9" of snow. The biggest turn around season was 1913-14 when we only had 3.3" of snow through January but ended up with 54.1" - the worst winter non-turnaround of course is the only season without any recorded snowfall the infamous winter of 1972-3 with no snow accumulation at all.

Had some white rain around 1:30.  High 30s and rain is my least favorite weather.  I'd rather it be dry and single digits, or torching, than cold and rainy. 

At least I got my snow fix last weekend in NNE.  It was a very interesting localized and elevation dependent orographic enhanced storm up there.  Rain in the valleys and 12-15" fresh at the top of the mountains.   Apparently we have to drive 8 hours to see any appreciable snow in this dismal winter.  

45 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Ended up with 0.54" rain on Thursday and 0.13" so far today.  Currently very foggy w/vis < 1/10th of a mile, so need a bit more than a SPS for this.  Temp is currently 46 with dense fog and mist.

Oddly enough not foggy here.....very low cloud ceiling though. Pretty dark for this time of morning.

44F Misty/light rain 

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Oddly enough not foggy here.....very low cloud ceiling though. Pretty dark for this time of morning.

44F Misty/light rain 

Possibly because it had started raining there.  Am now getting the rain here and am up to 0.18" with improved visibility but not by much.   Earlier I was almost completely socked in!

7 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Possibly because it had started raining there.  Am now getting the rain here and am up to 0.18" with improved visibility but not by much.   Earlier I was almost completely socked in!

You may be correct....I didn't think of that. It's definitely raining at a decent clip.

Pretty sad this obs thread usually consist of rain totals rather than snow this winter.

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You may be correct....I didn't think of that. It's definitely raining at a decent clip.

Pretty sad this obs thread usually consist of rain totals rather than snow this winter.

Well one thing to look out for today are the winds.  With the ground so saturated, I wouldn't be surprised if there were  a lot of trees down.