Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monday 12/2 Threat Disco

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, OceanStWx said:

In my experience the NBM is typically too high on snow ratios and too low on max wet bulb temps aloft. So I usually don't like it because I get too much snow in the forecast relative to what I'm expecting.

Here the issue seems to be surface temps (NBM has a cap above which it doesn't accumulate snow) and mid level drying.

It actually has more QPF than NWS forecasts, so I would guess it's producing a lot of drizzle/freezing drizzle in those 6 hour periods and reducing snowfall as result.

When are you on the desk? Short term or Long term?

Just now, OceanStWx said:

In my experience the NBM is typically too high on snow ratios and too low on max wet bulb temps aloft. So I usually don't like it because I get too much snow in the forecast relative to what I'm expecting.

Here the issue seems to be surface temps (NBM has a cap above which it doesn't accumulate snow) and mid level drying.

It actually has more QPF than NWS forecasts, so I would guess it's producing a lot of drizzle/freezing drizzle in those 6 hour periods and reducing snowfall as result.

This is quite nice for early Dec

3817B99A-9290-4452-8EF1-9CD2B166D229.png

CA943B82-8C72-4BE4-8A0D-F21001748E4E.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

You dont see this get used to much but i imagine they are going with 24hr totals for this storm, in some places 12 or 24 won't matter. But for CT and surrounding locales probably need the 24 threshold.

I still like 12-25-02 for the best fitting analog. Surface track, H5 and H7 are very close throughout the duration. 12-07-03 might be the top analog for the storm at the 72 hour panel but subjectively, 12-25-02 makes more sense to me. Plus the airmass is closer to that storm and no 12-07-03

Depends on the office philosophy. Sometimes it's more convenient for headlines to use a 24 hour criteria, but GYX philosophy has always been that 6 inches of snow that is drawn out over 24 hours is maybe more impactful than 12 hours. Because the plows are out longer, removal takes longer, etc.

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I see they upgraded ORH hills to WSW.

Definitely a philosophy issue with me. The long lead time warnings are just a pet peeve of mine, nothing drives me crazier. Except maybe stealing my half and half.

But I think of warnings as go time. That's when we make a final call on snow totals. And right now I can't tell you with any high confidence whether some of those zones are going to get 4-6" with a lot of mixing, or 12-18" and naked snow angels. In my mind issuing a warning for 8-12" of snow that ends up being 4" or 16" is not that great a forecast. And sure things look good now, but we still have a half a dozen model runs and several ensembles left before it starts. They'll probably end up working out for most of those zones, but in my opinion it's a false confidence. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol exactly.  Some folks have such skewed memories/or ideas about what happens and what used to happen.  I don’t ever get Kev’s take on any of that stuff...it’s just so inaccurate, and downright misleading.  

Exactly. …..such as his claim that November is a winter month.

• Like 1