Total Members
    Most Online
    Blue Moon
    Newest Member
    Blue Moon
Dr. Dews

December 2019 Discussion

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

And we have had some pretty good March snows lately that lasted longer than Dec ones. Fluff vaporizes with Sun no matter the month. All about the base. 

Yeah March 2015. That shit just didn't melt fast as it was a glacier. 

I'm going to arbitrarily select the 50% of days >1" threshold as the cutoffs for my pack season. So this would suggest roughly 12/12 through 4/1.

image.png

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

And we have had some pretty good March snows lately that lasted longer than Dec ones. Fluff vaporizes with Sun no matter the month. All about the base. 

Yes it is.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’d rather a 17” bomb that goes away in 4 days versus staring at a crusty 3” pack in December. 

That’s crazy but to each their own . Stat padding at its finest . You’d rather have 17” melt in 2 days in Morch than a white , festive Xmas. Noted 

It's hard to run the table in early December. Really hard. Exception is the obscenely weenie CAD areas of NNE and the usual upslope spots. And even some of those spots will start their run more toward mid-December. 

A lot of our great Decembers in SNE didn't even really get going until mid-month. In 2008, it wasn't until 12/19...in 2007, not until 12/13. There's been a few exceptions of course like 1970, 1995, 2002....but so often you might just punt the first 10-15 days of December. Even in good Decembers. 

If we end up re-establishing the snowpack next Tuesday, then we will have been really fortunate thus far. I think I've had a total of about 30 hours without pack this entire month...basically Dec 1st before the snow started late afternoon and then Tuesday afternoon/evening before the rain flipped back to snow overnight. That's pretty amazing for a 12 day period of hostile snowpack climo. 

• Like 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s crazy but to each their own . Stat padding at its finest . You’d rather have 17” melt in 2 days in Morch than a white , festive Xmas. Noted 

Are we talking a day or a month? Weird goalpost change 

Are we talking a day or a month? Weird goalpost change 

Let’s do this. You can do it. Create a poll.. Do people prefer Dec snows or Morch snows. It’s black and white. Let’s see how it plays out 

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Let’s do this. You can do it. Create a poll.. Do people prefer Dec snows or Morch snows. It’s black and white. Let’s see how it plays out 

So do people prefer snow for Christmas day or do they prefer 95/75 July 4th?

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

December by a mile.... by March I’m ready for Morch and Torch

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Metherb, my point is how do you average 5”? Is it from sight  and you take into account all areas from sun to shade, or weenie measuring behind the shade of a spruce? That seems high. 

Not sure what you're trying to imply but I have 35+ years of experience observing the weather including courses at Lyndon and having been a coop observer.  I follow the standard practice of taking multiple measurements including sunny and shaded measurements.  I take my daily temperature readings in a Stevenson Screen about 50-75' from my house and while I'm walking to the station I drop the ruler in the snow and keep track of the measurements to the nearest inch per the coop standard.  I then average those for the daily snow depth.  I then average those numbers for the average depth over the winter.  I then average every winter for an overall average depth.  5" is what the math comes out to for all those measurements.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I would be willing to bet that poll would be a landslide . 90%+ weighted Dec . Winter months are Dec- Feb

Let's run a poll here. 17 inch bomb in March or 2 inch snow otg Christmas morning. I can imagine with this group what the answer will be. Lol

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Not sure what you're trying to imply but I have 35+ years of experience observing the weather including courses at Lyndon and having been a coop observer.  I follow the standard practice of taking multiple measurements including sunny and shaded measurements.  I take my daily temperature readings in a Stevenson Screen about 50-75' from my house and while I'm walking to the station I drop the ruler in the snow and keep track of the measurements to the nearest inch per the coop standard.  I then average those for the daily snow depth.  I then average those numbers for the average depth over the winter.  I then average every winter for an overall average depth.  5" is what the math comes out to for all those measurements.

Yea that's what I thought.  Scott is skeptical of everything 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Let's run a poll here. 17 inch bomb in March or 2 inch snow otg Christmas morning. I can imagine with this group what the answer will be. Lol

I mean, I'm usually on his side in the Dec vs Morch debates (not climo wise but emotion wise), but even that was a strange one for me. A festive grass covering instead of 17"?

See here’s the difference... Folks like me, Will, Herb, Johnno, Iceberg, Wolf, Freak etc etc like any snow. You guys all know I get as excited for 1-3” as I do as 6-12”. Folks like Ray, you , Scooter, Tip don’t like snow as much as you crave the biggies. I would 100% prefer a winter of nickels and dimes or even ice with no biggies and extended pack. You guys are fine with no snow or ice other than 3 massive snow bombs a winter. So that’s why you guys prefer spring snows where you’re more likely to get a 4-1-97. Me..I prefer a Dec 92

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

See here’s the difference... Folks like me, Will, Herb, Johnno, Iceberg, Wolf, Freak etc etc like any snow. You guys all know I get as excited for 1-3” as I do as 6-12”. Folks like Ray, you , Scooter, Tip don’t like snow as much as you crave the biggies. I would 100% prefer a winter of nickels and dimes or even ice with no biggies and extended pack. You guys are fine with no snow or ice other than 3 massive snow bombs a winter. So that’s why you guys prefer spring snows where you’re more likely to get a 4-1-97. Me..I prefer a Dec 92

Woah I like snow depth days and all snow. Where did that come from. You think after all these years you would know me.

Christmas should have snow on the ground, period. Here in metrowest Boston, I just want enough snow to provide good nordic skiing - so give me a base of 6" of concrete with occasional freshies. Up north, I want deep snow for early and late skiing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Woah I like snow depth days and all snow. Where did that come from. You think after all these years you would know me.

You love snow, but you favor Morch over Dec .. so we have to group you with Ray and Scoots

30 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea that's what I thought.  Scott is skeptical of everything 

Because most people don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to stuff like that. They’re are coop observers who do the opposite. Measure at 7a after its changed over and report that snowfall too. You should always ask when stuff doesn’t make sense. I’m pretty good at stuff like that. I stare at data and compare it all day. It only took 15 months for me to get other mets to agree on Boston temps. 

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You love snow, but you favor Morch over Dec .. so we have to group you with Ray and Scoots

How may IPAs tonight? Who said that? The conversation was about your insane view of reality and December snow. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Because most people don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to stuff like that. They’re are coop observers who do the opposite. Measure at 7a after its changed over and report that snowfall too. You should always ask when stuff doesn’t make sense. I’m pretty good at stuff like that. I stare at data and compare it all day. It only took 15 months for me to get other mets to agree on Boston temps. 

How do you know this?

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I never said I favor any snow over another but you like to put words in people’s mouths, it’s you being you, we all know

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I would be willing to bet that poll would be a landslide . 90%+ weighted Dec . Winter months are Dec- Feb

I think every single person has said they prefer snow in December and wish the climo was for March bombs in December.  But it's not.

There is empirical data that March is a better snow month BUT that has no bearing on personal preferences.  I'd rather it snow in November and I really enjoy November early season snows when it's supposed to be brown stick season.  But I understand what we are up against climo wise.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

How do you know this?

Read a PNS. Nobody knows that they’re doing. I’m not trying to dog someone, I’m just asking questions. Someone can walk through their backyard in the shade and say 3” when it’s bare all around them. Should they be considered a true snowpack?