Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Yeah i meant rarely for like the majority of the population located along the center I-91 and on the shore I-95. The hills of litchfield are a whole different animal. Look at this average snowfall, it's dated but you get the idea. 80-90" for the hills of litchfield vs 20-30 on the shore.

694865967_SNEAverageSnowfall.PNG.c1129d85ec15b2a71d32465c932ee38b.PNG

That's not what you said - you said the state but glad you clarified what you meant.  You made it sound like no one in the state has snow cover for any amount of time and that's not true.

• Like 2

Just now, MetHerb said:

That's not what you said - you said the state but glad you clarified what you meant.  You made it sound like no one in the state has snow cover for any amount of time and that's not true.

ok - i reread the post, i meant "down here in CT" like in ct down here, like southern part, not the state as a whole, but i see what it could be interpreted that way.

10 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Yeah i meant rarely for like the majority of the population located along the center I-91 and on the shore I-95. The hills of litchfield are a whole different animal. Look at this average snowfall, it's dated but you get the idea. 80-90" for the hills of litchfield vs 20-30 on the shore.

CT has the biggest disparity in such a tight gradient between coast and hills. This is of course not taking into account NNE valleys vs ski resorts. I’d like to see Maine’s if someone has it.

18 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Will’s map?

Average number of days with snow cover in CT:

NORFOLK 2 SW:  101.8
BAKERSVILLE:  80.0
BARKHAMSTED:  59.5
WOODBURY:  48.4
DANBURY:  46.8
WEST THOMPSON LAKE:  44.2
MIDDLETOWN 4 W:  41.9
HARTFORD:  41.3
MANSFIELD HOLLOW LAKE:  40.3
MT CARMEL:  38.4
BRIDGEPORT SIKORSKY AP:  29.1
GROTON:  21.8

24 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Rarely in CT?  Maybe in your neck of the woods but in the hills of NE & NW CT it's typical to have snow cover for a chunk of the winter.  My longest stretch is 122 days.  Now, the past few winters have only been in the 40-50 day range but my 35 year average is 64 days here in CT so I wouldn't call it rare.

Yes to this. Our area is accustomed to long periods of pack. We always get looped winter in with BDL . It’s really a very unique microclimate in NE CT . Even more so than NW CT where it’s more uniform colder 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My position is that December snow is best, but March averages slightly more....especially near coast.

Yeah reading through this there’s like two different discussions... what folks prefer and what climo actually is.  

I really don’t see a difference between what just happened and March snows, like you pointed out....someone gets a 20-incher in early March and then it’s gone roughly 10-12 days later.  Seems about the same thing happening right now.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes to this. Our area is accustomed to long periods of pack. We always get looped winter in with BDL . It’s really a very unique microclimate in NE CT . Even more so than NW CT where it’s more uniform colder 

Your days of yore were in Vernon though and yea nothing to write home about in Dec 1979 to 1999

Screenshot_20191212-194148_Chrome.jpg