Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, dendrite said:

He’s still recovering from his paralyzing blizzard last week. 

Wouldn't shock me though if he would end up with the most snow from this, Eastern areas look to be favored while there is still moisture left, Comes down to timing though getting the colder air in while its still overhead.

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Wouldn't shock me though if he would end up with the most snow from this, Eastern areas look to be favored while there is still moisture left, Comes down to timing though getting the colder air in while its still overhead.

I think ORH jacks.  

Those linear demarcations are probably just terrain enhancements ...heh

whatever - 

But, I was looking over the bevy of disappointing runs from overnight and it does occur to me, that if that lead S/W ejecting off the Pacific in that quasi-zonal flow out west happens to become dominant ( 12z Wed through the Rockies ...), more so than the trialing mechanics, that would encourage a colder solution along the eastern seaboard.  The N/Stream is dominant ...then, rather convenient to the warmer solutions as of late, it suddenly pulls NE with rapidity.. That may happen, but ..if the lead S/W is stronger underneath ( before that escape happens ) that would push up the timing of an eastern seaboard cyclone chance, when there is still cold banked in there.  

It's wishy washy... but it's your only hope if that thing doesn't somehow end up more marginal - which is a different low probability outcome in its own rights

The notion of differentiating coast/inland/elevation seems odd to me...I think Scott mentioned that too. Cold air arrives uniformly...the problem is more regarding how much QPF occurs on the colder side and how much lift we have to work with. the coast isn't going to get shutout b/c they're...on the coast. 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

The notion of differentiating coast/inland/elevation seems odd to me...I think Scott mentioned that too. Cold air arrives uniformly...the problem is more regarding how much QPF occurs on the colder side and how much lift we have to work with. the coast isn't going to get shutout b/c they're...on the coast. 

Yea, well Cranky is pretty bad. Pay no attention.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I think elevation could initially help expedite accumulations a bit over ORH hills...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think elevation could initially help expedite accumulations a bit over ORH hills...

Fair point...I agree. (I'll admit I wasn't entirely incorporating that area into my post). That area I think should be favored anyways when talking about potential for 2-4''+ of accumulation. Typically with how things evolve in these situations just seem to favor those areas. Also looks like drier air is a bit slower to work that far east. 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Fair point...I agree. (I'll admit I wasn't entirely incorporating that area into my post). That area I think should be favored anyways when talking about potential for 2-4''+ of accumulation. Typically with how things evolve in these situations just seem to favor those areas. Also looks like drier air is a bit slower to work that far east. 

Yup...topography should marginally assist in availing of most ample mositure/cold nexus.

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s a great read and all the more impressive how it was done while feeding, burping, and wiping baby fannies. 

He has great writing skills/ability. You add that to his wealth of knowledge and his method of presentation...and it creates a must read label for anyone interested in weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1