• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Early Winter 2019 Forecasts and Discussion

Waiting for the snow/sleet mess to start. I'm off tomorrow, so I don't care what it does. I'll just sit in my living room and watch it out the window.

Side note, I really hope my group has a ticket for me for Sunday, as I scored a charter to the Eagles/Cowboys game and the weather in Philly will be nice!

Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 44

Residing right around 31ºF and the inch of snow pretty much stuck around today. Just got the driveway salted down for whatever mess is coming tonight. 

Browsing the weather statement and came across this. How is this not an ice storm/winter storm warning designation for Somerset, Bedford and Fulton?

PAZ033>035-171200-
/O.CON.KCTP.WW.Y.0031.000000T0000Z-191217T1600Z/
Somerset-Bedford-Fulton-
Including the cities of Somerset, Bedford, and McConnellsburg
138 PM EST Mon Dec 16 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM EST
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation. Additional snow accumulations of
up to one inch and ice accumulations of around four tenths of
an inch.

* WHERE...Somerset, Fulton and Bedford Counties.

* WHEN...Light snow will fall over the area early this morning.
Precipitation will likely taper off during late morning and
the afternoon, then expect sleet or freezing rain to
overspread the area this evening.

* IMPACTS...Untreated roads could be slippery. Isolated power
outages are possible over the high terrain tonight.

Up to 0.4" of ice is a significant ice event, and their ice map illustrates a pretty widespread area of 0.25"+ in those three counties. 

6 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Residing right around 31ºF and the inch of snow pretty much stuck around today. Just got the driveway salted down for whatever mess is coming tonight. 

Browsing the weather statement and came across this. How is this not an ice storm/winter storm warning designation for Somerset, Bedford and Fulton?

Up to 0.4" of ice is a significant ice event, and their ice map illustrates a pretty widespread area of 0.25"+ in those three counties. 

Yeah evening runs look quite icy for some. My guess they dont want egg on their face for not calling out early on. Special weather statement is the easiest best way out for ultra short term forecast statement. 
This was part of my point the other day. While situs like current Dont have to mean big snows, they often can over perform with cold holding vs model outputs. For me winter weather is any sort is a win in December. 

Additionally, it appears that CTP is angling toward the several hour period of frozen in the central counties that some of the meso models were hinting at earlier today and discussed in here, and the newer advisory products reflect as such. I'd be plenty happy if I ended up with 2-4 inches out of this whole event. Most of the Sus Valley I think will see frozen as well for at least the first few hours once the heavier precip gets back into the region. 

Main change in thinking this afternoon is for a brief thump of
heavy snow to accompany the second round of this winter storm
across the West Central and Central Mountains late tonight,
with most model guidance in agreement on late evening through
wee morning hours (04z to 08z) being the timing of heaviest and
steadiest snowfall and accumulation. Given impressive BUFKIT
omega/dendritic SGZ cross- hair signature during this timeframe
and nearly 10k ft deep isothermal layer down to the sfc just
below freezing, think a quick 2 to locally 4" of snow is likely
in the WC and C mountains late this evening and early Tuesday
morning. AFter the max omega passes to the east, precip will
transition to lighter mixed snow/sleet/freezing rain or perhaps
just plain freezing drizzle as rates drop off come daybreak.

Thinking remains similar to previous across the south with mixed
precipitation redeveloping across the south mid to late
afternoon and changing to sleet/freezing rain with significant
icing likely over the Laurel Highlands. Change to plain rain is
likely over the Lower Susq. by late evening. Perhaps the greatest
concern may be the potential of isolated power outages over the
Laurel Highlands, where the Freezing Rain Accumulation Model
projects ice accretions of around a quarter inch. Elsewhere,
expect any ice accretion to be minimal. Transition zone doesn`t
make it much farther north than 5-10 miles north of I-80. Mostly
snow and lighter amounts expected north of there with generally
1 to 3 inches expected over the N and NW.

Going to the winter weather pages of the various office is a lesson in futility. It appears that none of the offices discussed, nor coordinated, with each other before putting out their probabilistic maps.

For me (being 5 miles from both the BGM and PHL zones):

CTP: 1-2

PHL: 3-4 extrapolated west

BGM: 4-6 extrapolated  south

If I were a betting man, I'd go with CTP's numbers, but the ice potential is all over the place as well with less than a tenth (CTP), but .10 to .25 (PHL) extrapolated.

2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Additionally, it appears that CTP is angling toward the several hour period of frozen in the central counties that some of the meso models were hinting at earlier today and discussed in here, and the newer advisory products reflect as such. I'd be plenty happy if I ended up with 2-4 inches out of this whole event. Most of the Sus Valley I think will see frozen as well for at least the first few hours once the heavier precip gets back into the region. 

Bolded part matches mesos nicely and like I said this am. 80 north is jackpot

Just now, pawatch said:

For me I'm thinking  about 2.5" overnight. About the same amount that we had the other week.

CTP I think has got burnt in the past and tries to stay conservative 

We're in colder air but get less precip so it kinda is a trade one for other. Radar looking like it'll stay south for some time yet.

• Like 1

CTP put this Special Weather Statement out for many of us this evening. I’m interested to see what that the heavy band of precip will bring that is pushing up from the southern tier towards the turnpike.

Special Weather Statement National Weather Service State College PA 504 PM EST Mon Dec 16 2019 PAZ024>028-033>036-056>059-063>066-170115- Cambria-Blair-Huntingdon-Mifflin-Juniata-Somerset-Bedford-Fulton- Franklin-Perry-Dauphin-Schuylkill-Lebanon-Cumberland-Adams-York- Lancaster- 504 PM EST Mon Dec 16 2019

Bands of sleet, rain, freezing rain, and snow will continue to develop and lift northward into south central Pennsylvania this evening. While temperatures across the lower elevations were at or just above freezing, the precipitation may come down hard enough at times to result in icy spots. As the bands of precipitation lift further north this evening, the precipitation will be more in the form of snow. This will be especially the case north of Route 22. Persons traveling this evening should be alert for a wide range of conditions and allow extra travel time.

Was holding out a little hope for something non-liquid with round 2 but alas it began as rain and has transitioned (barely) now to freezing rain with a temp of 31.5 degrees, dew point 29.  So far 0.06" liquid from entire event.  I suppose if rates really pick up some sleet could mix in but that's all I'm anticipating for around here.

22 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Was holding out a little hope for something non-liquid with round 2 but alas it began as rain and has transitioned (barely) now to freezing rain with a temp of 31.5 degrees, dew point 29.  So far 0.06" liquid from entire event.  I suppose if rates really pick up some sleet could mix in but that's all I'm anticipating for around here.

All liquid here and plenty of it. Already over .25" with moderate rain currently.

After falling below freezing earlier I'm back up to 32.8 now.

22 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

All liquid here and plenty of it. Already over .25" with moderate rain currently.

After falling below freezing earlier I'm back up to 32.8 now.

I think us LSV counties are out in this one. Mesos say just north of us were where the action would/could be. I’m at 33 here which is below what I thought it would be by now but still not enough for any fun here. Enjoy northern crew. 

Precip has returned in the last hour and is arriving as straight freezing rain. Temp is 31ºF so untreated stuff is already glazed. 

The precip is also fairly light at the moment, so we'll see if the heavier stuff starts working on the column and frozen p-types mix back in. I would imagine with the long lull in precip today that the temps aloft were able to creep up some.

4 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Precip has returned in the last hour and is arriving as straight freezing rain. Temp is 31ºF so untreated stuff is already glazed. 

The precip is also fairly light at the moment, so we'll see if the heavier stuff starts working on the column and frozen p-types mix back in. I would imagine with the long lull in precip today that the temps aloft were able to creep up some.

Radar just west of you appears to have snow on your doorstep. Hope you cool enough to see it. 

Trying to mix some ice pellets in here. Notable feature on CCX radar (CC product) is a pretty established snow/mix line already pretty much running on I-80 and given that and mPing obs I've not really seen anything on that product that indicates to me any collapse of that southward with the column cooling enough. The knee jerk reaction to that would be that pretty much shuts down the prospect of seeing a 2 to perhaps 4 inch thump in the central counties below I-80..or in fact any additional snow at all, which would be a pretty sizable near term bust. I'll give it a couple hours but I don't like how things set up when the established precip came in, plus the new meso models haven't had it either. Williamsport still looks ok at the moment, I'd be curious to hear any obs from there.