• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall/Early Winter 2019 Forecasts and Discussion

I agree, this looks like a typical 2-4 inch snow to ice event, maybe ending as a little rain.

This type of event is nice because the precip shield is already well established to our west & we already have cold enough air in place. We don’t need to rely on a wave on a front or an upper low to try to produce with this storm on Monday

28 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I agree, this looks like a typical 2-4 inch snow to ice event, maybe ending as a little rain.

This type of event is nice because the precip shield is already well established to our west & we already have cold enough air in place. We don’t need to rely on a wave on a front or an upper low to try to produce with this storm on Monday

I don't think anyone close to us gets close to 4". I don't believe this setup will produce 2" down this way. Where you live...maybe. A big maybe.

I do believe ice will be a significant problem for a whole lot of us.

No one last November thought that MDT would get over 8 inches of snow with that storm. It was supposed to be 2-4 with a changeover. 6 hours of heavy snow produced the 8 inches before the changeover in the early evening.

I certainly don’t think anyone has a chance of getting near 8 inches of snow on Monday. However, If the initial precip comes in a heavy shield, some areas could end up with closer to 4 inches with the storm on Monday. Each model run is trending colder. There is no deepening low heading for Detroit with this event that would overwhelm us with a warm air push aloft or at the surface. We need to watch the development of the front running precip shield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

No one last November thought that MDT would get over 8 inches of snow with that storm. It was supposed to be 2-4 with a changeover. 6 hours of heavy snow produced the 8 inches before the changeover in the early evening.

I certainly don’t think anyone has a chance of getting near 8 inches of snow on Monday. However, If the initial precip comes in a heavy shield, some areas could end up with closer to 4 inches with the storm on Monday. Each model run is trending colder. There is no deepening low heading for Detroit with this event that would overwhelm us with a warm air push aloft or at the surface. We need to watch the development of the front running precip shield.

You could very well be right! And I hope you are...I just don't see it that way. 

I agree that trends favor more frozen. I just believe we flip sooner than expected.

3 hours ago, pawatch said:

Blizzard as warm as the temps will be aloft you have to wonder how much of that will be sleet.

To me it looks like 2-3" of snow with a good amount of sleet mixed in. Let's see how things look tonight.

I've got NO probem with that.  Seeing the nooners adjust slightly further south still says that we are close to at least an appreciable front end period of frozen, and it we get 2 more ticks south, would likely be mostly frozen as thermal boundary would likely follow south.  

Looking further beyond, a week from today all eyes could be on a pre Christmas doozy, that could give a white christmas to some that rarely see it.  Looking forward to seeing how the pattern shakes out for next week and beyond.  Fun times ahead.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

You could very well be right! And I hope you are...I just don't see it that way. 

I agree that trends favor more frozen. I just believe we flip sooner than expected.

I agree, by no means is this a major storm, but this is the first widespread region wide winter storm of the season for us. It all depends on the front running precip shield. If that is a solid shield with heavier bands embedded, then some of us could over perform. If it is weak & scattered, then we will underperform & flip to ice more quickly.

I will be happy with a solid 2 inches of snow, but I will hold out for hope of closer to 4. In reality, as with most cases, the answer probably will end up in between.

Just now, pasnownut said:

I've got NO probem with that.  Seeing the nooners adjust slightly further south still says that we are close to at least an appreciable front end period of frozen, and it we get 2 more ticks south, would likely be mostly frozen as thermal boundary would likely follow south.  

Looking further beyond, a week from today all eyes could be on a pre Christmas doozy, that could give a white christmas to some that rarely see it.  Looking forward to seeing how the pattern shakes out for next week and beyond.  Fun times ahead.

Yes sir, & I’m looking forward to tracking it all with you guys. 

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Bingo buddy boy....

E/W orientation pf WAA precip shield looks to limit Nward progression of thermal boundary.  I do agree w/ Mr. Trainer guy that taint is also likely, even to some rain, but we are close to all frozen (as per GFS which has been the warm on in the group).  IF the Euro stays south, I'm hedging bets that our first widespread wintery event happens on Monday.  Upper air flow is conducive to it.  

2 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Trend is south...we just need that waa precip to bulk up some and we're in good shape for some frozen.

One thing that is in our favor, is that WAA usually is under modeled, and we tend to overachieve with setups like this.  I think thats what Blizzy is suggesting.

You are sitting in a nice spot pal.  

I just got that feeling we are in for a fun and  exciting Winter this year.  We are going to have our bad periods but I just don't see them being weeks on end.  For Monday I could see a 1-3 or even a 2-4.  One thing is for sure the models are getting a better handle on 2m temps being a tad cooler. I don't think the entire event will be frozen.   It will rain.  Next Thursday through Saturday morning look mighty cold. Nice shot of cold coming into the northeast. 

35 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Bingo buddy boy....

E/W orientation pf WAA precip shield looks to limit Nward progression of thermal boundary.  I do agree w/ Mr. Trainer guy that taint is also likely, even to some rain, but we are close to all frozen (as per GFS which has been the warm on in the group).  IF the Euro stays south, I'm hedging bets that our first widespread wintery event happens on Monday.  Upper air flow is conducive to it.  

Just to be perfectly clear...I think we're going to get an extended period of frozen. I also think it will be disruptive to the point that it will be a significant event. I'm specifically leery of how much pure white gold falls.

Guys I hope I'm wrong...

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Just to be perfectly clear...I think we're going to get an extended period of frozen. I also think it will be disruptive to the point that it will be a significant event. I'm specifically leery of how much pure white gold falls.

Guys I hope I'm wrong...

It is only Saturday, it is very possible by tomorrow morning all short term models bump north and we rain.  I'm just basing off model trends today.  We have seen this happen many times. Models pull us in then they slowly back off to just about nothing.

1 hour ago, daxx said:

It is only Saturday, it is very possible by tomorrow morning all short term models bump north and we rain.  I'm just basing off model trends today.  We have seen this happen many times. Models pull us in then they slowly back off to just about nothing.

yeah thats a definite possibility with this deal.  We are close either way.

4 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

State College dropped any reference to freezing rain here and infact says snow showers to start then all rain...guess we will see what happens.

They updated this morning, but they are still down playing the ice potential.

I’m fairly confident that they will have some type of Advisory hoisted later today for most of us.

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

They updated this morning, but they are still down playing the ice potential.

I’m fairly confident that they will have some type of Advisory hoisted later today for most of us.

Yea it still says only rain or snow for both Williamsport and Harrisburg forecasts no mention of freezing rain. 

Here’s what I see when I click on the Williamsport area on CTP’s map :

Monday Night
Rain and snow, possibly mixed with freezing rain before midnight, then snow, possibly mixed with sleet between midnight and 3am, then rain after 3am. Low around 31. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.