• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

21 hours ago, Hvward said:

In regards to the upcoming front, I think the best chance for flakes will be northwest flow moisture Tuesday into Wednesday.  Anafronts never work out for the valleys of WNC, but the backside moisture looks promising and a 1040mb high over the great lakes will certainly send the winds.  The valleys in WNC would certainly see flakes from the backside if that comes to fruition.  Then, late next week we could be talking about a possible Gulf Low, developing on the tail end of the wave.  Will the cold air be in place? Probably not, but a retreating high to our north could make for an icy situation.  Anyways, the next 10 days should be interesting.  

I feel optimistic that I might have something to actually measure next week.  Love my NWF.  Thanks for the update man!

• Like 1

Looks like you had awesome color this year. I got apathetic with the drought; but, should have known spring was rainy so all is good. Congrats to all who scored fantastic foliage!

Now it looks cold through November. Anybody heard anything about NC ski areas opening dates? Thank you! :ski:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Looks like you had awesome color this year. I got apathetic with the drought; but, should have known spring was rainy so all is good. Congrats to all who scored fantastic foliage!

Now it looks cold through November. Anybody heard anything about NC ski areas opening dates? Thank you! :ski:

Cataloochee already opened but they are always first.  Sugar is looking to open by Thanksgiving I believe my brother-in-law said (he works there)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

I was over at Wolf Ridge yesterday.  They're planning on being open at the beginning of December.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This afternoon's euro was interesting for the upcoming week, to say the least.  Seeing SLP cutting across the carolina Piedmont this far out makes me wonder how far north and west the eventual track could be. Fun to look at though!

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=ecmwf_full&p=prateptype_cat_ecmwf&rh=2019110812&fh=loop&r=conus&dpdt=&mc=

• Like 2

HRRR has been rock solid consistent in showing flip to snow along the TN border areas of NC by 6am with a rapid change over to the border counties by 9am.  Then it's a quick few hours of snow before the flow sets up for the high peaks the rest of the day.

hrrr-conus-charlotte-refc_ptype-3556400.png

hrrr-conus-charlotte-refc_ptype-3563600.png

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

HRRR has been rock solid consistent in showing flip to snow along the TN border areas of NC by 6am with a rapid change over to the border counties by 9am.  Then it's a quick few hours of snow before the flow sets up for the high peaks the rest of the day.

hrrr-conus-charlotte-refc_ptype-3556400.png

hrrr-conus-charlotte-refc_ptype-3563600.png

If that's accurate someone's going to see a nice event. Must be nice not to be on the lee side!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

If that's accurate someone's going to see a nice event. Must be nice not to be on the lee side!

I've found the HRRR to be pretty decent on this type of stuff in this short of a range (ie less than 12 hours out)

And yeah ..TN line locations will do best with this type of setup. 

7 minutes ago, BretWheatley said:

That's awesome Joe! Still waiting for a changeover here in Fletcher (where I work). Watched the temp go down from 44 -> 38 on the drive to work. So good to see some November flakes. 

You should change very soon. Temps have dropped almost 4 degrees in the last hour. Now down to 28.2.  Heavy snow now with an inch on the ground. 

• Like 3