Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dorian

shaggy

22 minutes ago, FLweather said:

Not sure if weakening or going through EWR. But the eye looks ragged and has gotten bigger via radar out of the Bahamas. 

Definitely stationary atm. Just wobbling over Freetown.

I feel bad for those folks. A lot of the buildings are not built to withstand that kind of (prolonged) wind.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FallsLake said:

For us in the Triangle, we'll be very close to the cut off line for excessive rain. 50 mile difference in the track will give folks in central NC 5" or very little.

Lol, we'll probably have the Wake County cut off. But it will be opposite (then many winter storms) for the haves and have nots...  

I feel like the further south it makes landfall, the worse it could be for us. I still doubt that it's too bad in Western and Northern areas of the triangle but Johnston and Wilson counties and points east? Ehhhh.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I feel like the further south it makes landfall, the worse it could be for us. I still doubt that it's too bad in Western and Northern areas of the triangle but Johnston and Wilson counties and points east? Ehhhh.

Yes. And schools like ECU out in Greenville said they are not planning on altering class schedules Thursday/Friday. We will see. Other hurricanes in the past have caused a lot of headaches out there. 

For folks west of I-95 this needs to at least come in at ILM I would think moving NNE or at least NE....all the models have a wind max on the west side under the heavy rain shield so usually on these tracks there is a inland area that see's a wind max that is usually more violent downdraft type winds, so the sustained winds might only be 20--25 but you get the big rolling gust well into the 50-70 range....

The GFS has up to 75knt winds at 925 MB which wont be that high up over a lot of central and eastern NC so gust to 50-70 at the surface is reasonable even as far inland as the Triangle on the GFS track...the GFS is also the weakest with the storm pressure wise.

GFSMA_925_spd_093.png.768091418ebc5b8666c7c6c0607dbbc6.png

9 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I like the 12z NAM. It looks to keep the storm off the coast right up to hour 84. I'm sure the outer banks would still see some damage. But on a selfish note, it would pull down some nice low/mid 50s dew points into central and eastern NC. 

The last couple of runs of nam been suspicious. 

Even the 12z nam3k continues a due north approach. 

Now the strength is even more... 

Atm. Initialize at 944. But has it dropping down to 913mb moving due north east of Titusville,fl. Sounds fishy. 

For reference, based on what the guy said in that last video, what the houses around him looked like, and where the winds were coming from, I think it's here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/26°34'15.4"N+78°34'31.0"W/@26.570937,-78.5758192,252m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d26.5709368!4d-78.5752717

But if that's too speculative for the storm thread, please delete.

44 minutes ago, McDowell_Weather said:

Geez And I thought emotions ran high during snowstorms I'ma track this thing in this thread with more level headed people lol back to regular programming......

Yeah the Tropical forum thread is a disaster....usually is. In the short term I think the thing to look for is how fast or slow Dorian takes reaching 28N....that about 100 miles from the current location of the center, current track says it wont get there for roughly 30 hrs....that means over the next 30 hrs this storm is not going to move more than 100 miles.....if it does move faster than that then the door opens for a more direct hit on NC.....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah the Tropical forum thread is a disaster....usually is. In the short term I think the thing to look for is how fast or slow Dorian takes reaching 28N....that about 100 miles from the current location of the center, current track says it wont get there for roughly 30 hrs....that means over the next 30 hrs this storm is not going to move more than 100 miles.....if it does move faster than that then the door opens for a more direct hit on NC.....

Yeah what it does in the near term can have huge implications as to the track down the road landfall, wind field expansion, ext alot of variable's at play.

54 minutes ago, FLweather said:

I'm beginning to have my doubts about Dorian  being captured and pulled  north.

Looking at current WV. Looking  at what's in the GOM.

The trough too flat and stable to be to be pulling Dorian  north much. 

I like looking at current observational trends as much as the next guy, but not a single GFS or ECMWF ensemble shows this. While I am always leery of the models in a stalled tropical system scenario, the amount of agreement we have between all the reliable models makes me much more confident that we will see a northward movement tomorrow. I think the question going forward is whether we will see a landfall in the Carolinas. Models have been waffling back and forth by 10 miles or so with no clear trend either way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thunderwolf said:

I like looking at current observational trends as much as the next guy, but not a single GFS or ECMWF ensemble shows this. While I am always leery of the models in a stalled tropical system scenario, the amount of agreement we have between all the reliable models makes me much more confident that we will see a northward movement tomorrow. I think the question going forward is whether we will see a landfall in the Carolinas. Models have been waffling back and forth by 10 miles or so with no clear trend either way.

Most definitely rock on

• Like 1