• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

I mean it looks like typical summer heat and mugginess at times. It hasn‘t really changed. Looks more like 88-92 over 65-70 dews instead of the 95+/75+ crap we had last summer. Then at times we’ll dew it down and the rad sites will get nightly refreshers. Stay the course.

51 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Ha, Well GE is no better, I have begun switching out appliances to Whirlpool on the recommendation from a appliance repair man.

Whirlpool and LG have been top 2 for several years running on various publications like consumer reports and gadget review. There’s a steep drop off after them so there’s really nothing else folks should consider unless price and availability are factors. 

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I mean it looks like typical summer heat and mugginess at times. It hasn‘t really changed. Looks more like 88-92 over 65-70 dews instead of the 95+/75+ crap we had last summer. Then at times we’ll dew it down and the rad sites will get nightly refreshers. Stay the course.

Typical,  best time for swimming

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

After the14th? Where’s the dry dew siege? That’s a massive EC ridging. Probably fire danger in NNE

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Again...it looks warm overall. Not denying that. But the big heat and humidity should stay SW of us. We'll probably get grazed here and there. Does anyone think July will actually be BN or even N?

Hope its AN and dry with cool mornings.  Draw it up

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Again...it looks warm overall. Not denying that. But the big heat and humidity should stay SW of us. We'll probably get grazed here and there. Does anyone think July will actually be BN or even N?

Every piece of guidance shows bigtime NE heat next week along with dews. I posted weeks ago I thought July would be + 4 to +5. I think has a great shot to verify 

The center of the ridging is a little west for big heat up here. With the seasonal progression, we're losing the effect of those lower heights to our northeast so at least some of the warm plumes aloft are getting our way instead of getting sheared and cut off to our south. EPS does try to erase the AK ridging and throw in a low around d10 so maybe we'll see the whole height field raise in the mid lats of eastern NAMER in response.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Didn't they move MVL within the last few years? Or was that MPV? I remember you posting about it.

Yeah it moved 2 summers ago I think it was?  MVL used to be literally on RT 100...like if you used google road view down RT 100 between Stowe and Morrisville you’ll see the ASOS like 25 feet from traffic.  It was also near a cluster of trees that was growing into it.  

They moved it further out into the airfield but near a small depression too...I think it lost like 25 feet of elevation too.  It definitely helps with big diurnal swings.  

I did used to think it could run colder but with so many PWS popping up there are others around Stowe (near Golf Course) and then one north of MVL (closest PWS) often match it for low temps.  It’s so hard with the micro-level difference around these parts...even PWS can be next to each other but one’s 50-100 feet higher and 6F warmer at night. 

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

You can look up station meta data that will list any equipment moves (that's how I found out where BOS snowfall was being measured) and I don't see any for OWD. So my guess would be local airfield changes.

Would GYX, or another source, have meta data for the Farmington co-op back thru its 1893 beginning of record.  There's some 1890s heat of which I'm quite suspicious, also some 1940s mild minima that seem out to lunch.  Addressing just the '90s, Farmington notched 8 days with triple-digit highs.  Three of the four relatively close sites with records as old (or nearly so) all are jusually a bit hotter than Farmington post-1900 - WVL is usually the same or a bit cooler.  Those 3, LEW, Gardiner and Bridgton, show a total of 2 triples, though the last doesn't have August 1893 when Farmington hit 102 and 100.  Call it one apiece, which in comparison has Farmington's heat seem odd, and makes me wonder if the obs location was downtown amidst the masonry buildings. 

Farmington records also show its hottest daily mean (88.5) and daily minimum (78) on 9/23/1895.  Other stations hit mid 90s but nowhere else among the above Maine sites had milder minima than 65 for Sept. 22,23,24.  To me, that's not a location issue, just an error.  (78 was also the max for 9/24/1895 - wonder if the morning min was missed/ignored/forgotten.)

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Whirlpool and LG have been top 2 for several years running on various publications like consumer reports and gadget review. There’s a steep drop off after them so there’s really nothing else folks should consider unless price and availability are factors. 

Yup.  Unless I will the lottery and buy a Sub Zero, I would go with Whirlpool.  Samsung had a decent reputation when we bought this, but ugh.  Crappola. 

Anyway, kind of boring stretch upcoming.  Typical summer warmth, but nothing earth shattering. 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

As Scooter has been preaching . Just wait till next week and beyond. The only dewdown we really had was today and tomorrow. Otherwise basically a straight thru shot 

Don’t forget yesterday too.  Pretty much half of the week.  But yeah besides that the other half of the week was hot.  

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Don’t forget yesterday too.  Pretty much half of the week.  But yeah besides that the other half of the week was hot.  

Dews down here stayed in the 60’s until very early this morning. Yesterday was quite sticky with mid-upper 60’s. When I got up to run at 4:15 this AM it was still 61. When I returned home at 5:20 it had dropped to 58 and I had noticed a north breeze kick up during the run .

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dews down here stayed in the 60’s until very early this morning. Yesterday was quite sticky with mid-upper 60’s. When I got up to run at 4:15 this AM it was still 61. When I returned home at 5:20 it had dropped to 58 and I had noticed a north breeze kick up during the run .

BDL had dews in the 50s all yesterday afternoon.  Even IJD had dews down to 55F yesterday.  Those obs look pretty different from what you are describing.

Nothing remotely close to mid-upper 60s during the day yesterday?

Heck even ORH tickled a 49F dew later yesterday afternoon  ... you live between those three sites right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

BDL had dews in the 50s all yesterday afternoon.  Even IJD had dews down to 55F yesterday.  Those obs look pretty different from what you are describing.

Nothing remotely close to mid-upper 60s during the day yesterday?

Heck even ORH tickled a 49F dew later yesterday afternoon  ... you live between those three sites right?

Not sure what to tell you. I’m telling what the Davis said. Lowest during daylight yesterday was 64

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

80/48 is a glorious observation for 3-4pm in the afternoon in July.  

Plenty hot enough in 80F and mid-summer sun to swim, but also real enjoyable to do other things like golfing.  

467CE93E-2838-4370-94DC-F37B7A78C054.jpeg.48b464f66190543acf3054a3ccea0112.jpeg

4FC71C75-CA2D-4835-A560-E16E79872C6A.jpeg.874821b4c0acc12f337cf75fdbefc62d.jpeg

Nice pics. I got out there today on my day off. What a treat to be in mid summer and carry my bag for 18.