Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Yeah i agree. Theres a good amount of cape around there and obviously convective clouds over the alps on eurosat. 700 temps are like plus 5c. 

Surface temps were in the low 50s when the Tstorms blew up according to Meteofrance, they said freak hail storm.

2 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

For some applications youll need the $ symbol. For example if im verifying multiple forecast values against a single observation in A1, I need to maintain the reference to A1 in the formulas since excel will automatically change your formula to A2, A3, A4....when copied. 

Put the $ ahead of both row and column indicators and hold it for moves in any direction.  However, my favorite Excel moment was learning how to work in 3 "dimensions" - column/row/worksheet - using the ! symbol.  I had 30+ years of weather records and collating/analyzing was exceedingly laborious.  Being able to access multiple worksheets made things 100X easier. 

Some scattered cu to the south but I haven't seen the shadows go dim all day - another beauty.

I've described this in the past ... a time a friend ascended some tourist summit in Colorado... 

There's a lodge up there around 12 K ...maybe even 14... or just 10. 

It was a sunny day... until about 10:30 when convective turrets were ballooning skyward just off to the side ... He described a five minute thunderstorm that started as light rain, then, hail then...heavy grapple.. then flipped around between, heavy rain...then, heavy snow, then light rain...then the sun came back out...  That was early August when that happened.  It was short sleeve than cold as hell...then short sleeves

Now...I don't know about the Alps...but I do know that Mountain meteorology is varied and quite non-traditional.   I'm not sure we can just assess "a sudden event" that is maybe convective in nature as hail or snow or rain?  May have been varied - 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I've described this in the past ... a time a friend ascended some tourist summit in Colorado... 

There's a lodge up there around 12 K ...maybe even 14... or just 10. 

It was a sunny day... until about 10:30 when convective turrets were ballooning skyward just off to the side ... He described a five minute thunderstorm that started as light rain, then, hail then...heavy grapple.. then flipped around between, heavy rain...then, heavy snow, then light rain...then the sun came back out...  That was early August when that happened.  It was short sleeve than cold as hell...then short sleeves

Now...I don't know about the Alps...but I do know that Mountain meteorology is varied and quite non-traditional.   I'm not sure we can just assess "a sudden event" that is maybe convective in nature as hail or snow or rain?  May have been varied - 

Agree....at some point the hail, graupel, snow starts to blend together. It's been record breaking heat there even for the passes and varying stages of the tour de france. Given current temp analyses I just find it hard to believe there's that much snow falling at those relatively lower els given the H85/H7 temps and the airmass that was in there the past 2 days.

image.png

I was climbing mount Whitney in California 37 years ago in August.  We pitched a tent at trail camp around 12,000 feet.  Around 2pm ice balls mixed with rain which became all snow leaving about 3 inches which melted by 10am the next day which was helpful since that was the day we summited.

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Everyone here knows when things get active or very serious we buckle down, life is way too short to be serious all the time. Great post Garth. 

Thanks. Every once in a blue moon I have one.

4 hours ago, ApacheTrout said:

Banter thread, then.  Talk that stuff all you want there.

Oh. Good idea. Let me try that.  Do you have a link to it?