joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

BDL 1.0F greater than IJD in 13

BDL 2.8F greater than IJD in 19

I assume you're talking about just July?

anyways, it would be interesting to compare monthly departures dating back to when records began...using a starting point of whatever the newest station is (assuming IJD). 

When did the site move from HFD to BDL b/c that would be another thing to take into consideration. 

Is there anyone who is proficient with excel? I'm trying to remember how do do a formula but can't get the correct formatting right. 

I've just attached an example but in the total column if you want the sum you just do SUM(        )

so for the first row it would be SUM(A4:H4) 

now the formula would be the same for each row with the only difference being the row number...there is something you can do in the code (like a # sign or ?) where you just have one formula and it knows which row to compute

image.png.03bad7143d205109b6222b852b328822.png

23 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

anyways, it would be interesting to compare monthly departures dating back to when records began...using a starting point of whatever the newest station is (assuming IJD). 

When did the site move from HFD to BDL b/c that would be another thing to take into consideration. 

ThreadX for Hartford was HFD until 1955 and has been BDL ever since.

Station Thread for Hartford Area, CT
  Name Period in Thread
1 HARTFORD BRADLEY INTL AP 01/1955 to 12/2018
2 HARTFORD BRAINARD 01/1949 to 12/1954
3 HARTFORD (supplied by NWS) 01/1905 to 12/1948

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Is there anyone who is proficient with excel? I'm trying to remember how do do a formula but can't get the correct formatting right. 

I've just attached an example but in the total column if you want the sum you just do SUM(        )

now the formula would be the same for each row with the only difference being the row number...there is something you can do in the code (like a # sign or ?) where you just have one formula and it knows which row to compute

Just copy and paste the original formula and excel picks up the correct ones

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

ThreadX for Hartford was HFD until 1955 and has been BDL ever since.

Station Thread for Hartford Area, CT
  Name Period in Thread
1 HARTFORD BRADLEY INTL AP 01/1955 to 12/2018
2 HARTFORD BRAINARD 01/1949 to 12/1954
3 HARTFORD (supplied by NWS) 01/1905 to 12/1948

Use xmacis it shows the HFD ASOS 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Use copy-down... 

apply the formula to the cell you have highlighted there.   Check the results ...etc...  Then, right click, 'copy'.   Next, highlight the three cells below the one that is highlighted there ( which are the cells you want the same formula to apply ) .. and then right click --> 'paste'.  

You should see the cells fill in with the correct formulaic results. 

Edit ...oh, okay ...steve helped you then - tru

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Use copy-down... 

apply the formula to the cell you have highlighted there.   Check the results ...etc...  Then, right click, 'copy'.   Next, highlight the three cells below the one that is highlighted there ( which are the cells you want the same formula to apply ) .. and then right click --> 'paste'.  

You should see the cells fill in with the correct formulaic results. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Yes as far as I know

wow thanks...I wish I knew it was that easy :lol:

I remember the last time doing something similar (like 10 years ago) I was using some weird crap with symbols 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

You need the equal symbol on the front, =sum(A4:H4)

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I remember the last time doing something similar (like 10 years ago) I was using some weird crap with symbols 

My finance guy at my old job was a Wiz at excel and showed me so many shortcuts. He basically lives in Excel 

Just now, dryslot said:

Yes, That will total the rows in the total column.

I dont miss having to do budgets. This month I would literally spend the entire month doing spreadsheets for the next fiscal year. My head would explode.  I have no idea how bean counters do it 40 hrs a week. 

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You need the equal symbol on the front, =sum(A4:H4)

oops...didn't post that in here but yeah I knew that at least lol 

1 minute ago, rimetree said:

You can actually just grab the lower right corner of the selected cell (the little square) and drag it down the cells where your totals go. Does it automatically.

I didn't realize that worked with formulas...this is great. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

My finance guy at my old job was a Wiz at excel and showed me so many shortcuts. He basically lives in Excel 

It's amazing how powerful Excel is...there is a ton you can do. I'm going to do some workshops to really dig into the more powerful side of it. I think I could learn it fast. Hell...I'm amazed at how I'm doing with the Python training...I never thought I would understand coding but I'm at a point where I can start attempting creating weather charts/model graphics.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I dont miss having to do budgets. This month I would literally spend the entire month doing spreadsheets for the next fiscal year. My head would explode.  I have no idea how bean counters do it 40 hrs a week. 

I use excel often but not to that extreme, My head would be spinning around like Linda Lovelace if i had to use it all day every day.

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

oops...didn't post that in here but yeah I knew that at least lol 

I didn't realize that worked with formulas...this is great. 

It's amazing how powerful Excel is...there is a ton you can do. I'm going to do some workshops to really dig into the more powerful side of it. I think I could learn it fast. Hell...I'm amazed at how I'm doing with the Python training...I never thought I would understand coding but I'm at a point where I can start attempting creating weather charts/model graphics.

I did the first Module in Excel which pretty much gives you the basics but at times i wish i had done the other two.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I did the first Module in Excel which pretty much gives you the basics but at times i wish i had done the other two.

I wonder if they have classes now in middle school or high school regarding Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc). At least when I was going through they didn't really offer in-depth teaching (I don't remember if they held elective classes which did so) but that would be great if they did. 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not overly humid here in N ORH county.  Seems fairly typical

Other than last weekend, dews have been fairly tame this month, considering it's July.  Pure sun again today, looks to be #12 this month, the most sunny/m.sunny days of my 22 Julys here.  With only 3 cloudy/m.cloudy days so far and likely no more to come, this month could notch a new sunshine high for any month.  (My formula is sunny days plus PC/2.)  I'm not a fan of big heat, but low dew/high sun AN is eminently tolerable. 

The circulation type/medium appears to want to enter a stable un-altering regime for the rest of the way but ...heh... I'm a little skeptical of that. 

The alternative isn't much to write home about ..no.  At this time of the dog-days of the year, we scrape to find morsels of dystopian fun in the quiescent model cinemas -.  

Anyway, ..as the big western Europe heat attenuates ...the residual marker in the atmosphere actually pinches off in the majority of model family/means therein ... and then ensues a retrograde motion toward the west across the NE Atlantic high latitudes/ blocking. It becomes questionable whether that blocking node will fully displace across the Greenland region of the NAO domain, or just eventually collapse S and absorb into the westerlies near Iceland. 

Over the years we've oft' discussed NAO's in terms of "east" and/or "west" based.  It just means ... when there are positive heights tending and blocking in the NAO region, ...which limb of the NAO domain space is that massed biased?  If in the east, duh ... and so on... 

But that matters?   And, it matters also differently depending on season.  

Firstly ... -NAOs don't mean the same thing in the ides of July like they implicate to mid winter.  The wave lengths all over the hemisphere are a melange of nebular spaghetti ... well, not entirely, but more so..  The winter flow paradigm has more coherent long wave identities compared to summer.  Because of that scaffold difference, ...we cannot intuitively/spatially assume a -1 SD NAO in January means or implicates the same teleconnection to New England as it would ( if at all...) in July.. 

I suspect there are thresholds... Like, a -1 SD January NAO may be more effective at forcing our flow type here, because the wave lengths are so much longer - the signal is likely "cleanly" transmitting abroad.  Contrasting to summer...with garbled noisy trough fragments and ridge islets ...and shrapnel wave schisms ... the mass balancing purpose of the teleconnections can be satisfied over much smaller regions ...such that in simpler words, -1 just gets lost in the noise.  However, get to a -4 SD NAO ...it may be so extreme at that deviation that it simply has to extended to a larger area to satisfy mass -conservation and so ... The summer NAO may be conditionally correlative based upon relative strength. 

But that's all for primer - 

Over the next two weeks ... the NAO is forecast to be mightily negative... however, it is also presently east biased... in the -2 maybe -2.5 SD range.  We'll have to see how that effects ( if at all..) the latitude of the westerlies over eastern N/A... Other than that, yeah...the PNA is dead as correlation at this time of year... In fact, the CDC and CPC are out of phase entirely over the next 10 days with one rising while the other is falling..  good luck.  But the idea that -NAO means heat over eastern N/A is not really an outright assumption - or shouldn't be.. Not with all these juggling facets.. 

56 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I’m just comparing the top July years Ginxy posted. SSS obviously. I’m not digging deep while on my phone 

43 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

More than one way to skin that cat.  What I learned was to enter the correct formula in cell I-4 and hit "enter" to see if it works the way you want, copy it (left click works fine), then holding the shift key, click on I-7 to mark/bound and hit "enter".   It's nice when I'm working with tree data including diameters 1" to 40", to enter the formula in the 1" cell and copy it all the way to 40" with just a few clicks.  I've not seen the "corner-click and drag" so will try it post-haste.  As a wiser person than I once said, "A day I haven't learned something is a day I've wasted." 

Since I'm working with inventories that include many thousands of data points, Excel is a bff.

Edit:  Shazam!! That's a cool trick - thanks.

40 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah. If you want to change it up and not have it change the formula to different cells as you copy it you use the $ symbol before the cell reference.  

43 minutes ago, rimetree said:

You can actually just grab the lower right corner of the selected cell (the little square) and drag it down the cells where your totals go. Does it automatically.

Even better: just double click the little square and Excel will auto copy down by detecting the end of contiguous rows.

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

More than one way to skin that cat.  What I learned was to enter the correct formula in cell I-4 and hit "enter" to see if it works the way you want, copy it (left click works fine), then holding the shift key, click on I-7 to mark/bound and hit "enter".   It's nice when I'm working with tree data including diameters 1" to 40", to enter the formula in the 1" cell and copy it all the way to 40" with just a few clicks.  I've not seen the "corner-click and drag" so will try it post-haste.  As a wiser person than I once said, "A day I haven't learned something is a day I've wasted." 

Since I'm working with inventories that include many thousands of data points, Excel is a bff.

Edit:  Shazam!! That's a cool trick - thanks.

Yes absolutely love learning something new everyday. I love the internet for that. Your tree knowledge and weather stats are often my something new. Thank you Mr T , its always a pleasure to read your posts.