• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

Deer and turkey competed for the grass patch outside our window last evening.  They don't seem to mind each other sometimes getting within a couple of feet of each other.  I turned on the spots a few times during the night.  Between 2-10 deer were out there each time I checked.  Once the pasture opens they will scatter.  I have not seen any squirrels or chipmunks yet nor songbirds.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I buy a lot of my meat from local farms now. Humanely raised, pastured, and grass fed. It tastes a little gamier than the frankenmeat from the grocery stores, but I prefer it now. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for it,For those in my area, Miles Smith Farm and Brookford Farm are two places to check out. Brookford has some meat, but is mostly raw dairy with some produce and Miles Smith specializes in grass fed beef and pork.

Franklin county is blessed with an abundance of local produce and local humanely raised cows and pigs.  I have no issue spending the extra money on local meats and eggs.

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Island Pond had -11F too. So those rad pits near the Canadian border were pretty damn cold.

Yeah that's nuts.  We have clear and calm and usually MVL can dip a bit but that's a big difference to those sites NE of here.  Even SLK was only near zero but it was starting to warm aloft.

9 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Doing some stuff with record highs and lows and it got me thinking...I wonder what the longest standing record high and low is (like what year they date back too). MEM has some which go back into at least the 1870's. Gotta be some stuff before that I bet...or wonder. 

NYC's coldest March day, both max and min, was 10/3 on 3/5/1872.  Their data goes back thru 1869, and there are probably some daily records set that year, but I don't think any month records.

5 hours ago, dryslot said:

Most would probably not care for the taste of a wild turkey, There not like the butterball you buy at the store that was farm fed and raised.

Only had wild turkey once - friend brought some along on a fishing trip to N. Maine (Deboullie - one of my favorite places.)  He'd taken the bird about 6 weeks earlier, cooked and froze one breast.  It maybe was a wee bit chewier, but tasted like - turkey.  No gamey flavor at all and the texture was actually fine.  There's a turkey farm near home - field-raised birds - and they charge 3-4 times what one pays at the supermarket.  We've eaten a couple, and while they're quite good, they're not 3-4 times as good.

First cooing from mourning doves this AM.  Still 30" atop the garden - this dry air not melting much even at 40°.  Morn low about 5; last single-digit low of the season?