Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

21 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Only had wild turkey once - friend brought some along on a fishing trip to N. Maine (Deboullie - one of my favorite places.)  He'd taken the bird about 6 weeks earlier, cooked and froze one breast.  It maybe was a wee bit chewier, but tasted like - turkey.  No gamey flavor at all and the texture was actually fine.  There's a turkey farm near home - field-raised birds - and they charge 3-4 times what one pays at the supermarket.  We've eaten a couple, and while they're quite good, they're not 3-4 times as good.

First cooing from mourning doves this AM.  Still 30" atop the garden - this dry air not melting much even at 40°.  Morn low about 5; last single-digit low of the season?

No, There good but not that good, It could be the last single digit one, I did not get that low here, 12°F, I'm thinking that may even be the last of low teens.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Finally got some Plants coming up. Green shoots visible aside from torch spots.

That seems so far away... can't wait, ha.  This afternoon was perfect and got home at 5pm to take the dog for a walk....man it'll be nice to walk without post-holing out to the Rec Path.

The snow does not seem to be melting much these days, which is either good that it's going so slow its hard to notice or bad because we are going to get a climax flood event at some point.

This is awesome from NWS out in Reno... sounds like fun.  Love that they are even mentioning ski area impacts.  I think I've seen BTV list that once before when we had some convective graupel storm that was triggering lightning in the spring.  I doubt that is in the drop down box for impacts though in the NWS database, ha.

Greater Lake Tahoe Area CA-Greater Lake Tahoe Area NV-Greater Reno- Carson City-Minden Area NV- 220 PM PDT WED MAR 27 2019

...Line of Thundersnow Heading Toward Donner Pass, Lake Tahoe Region...

* At 215 PM PDT, NWS radar was tracking a line of heavy precipitation with embedded thunderstorms moving up the west slopes of the Sierra between Blue Canyon, Auburn, and Placerville.

* Impacts include: rapid visibility reductions to near zero with sudden snow accumulations on roadways, increase in traffic incidents and delays, lightning that could affect ski area operations. Consider delaying travel over Sierra passes until this band of heavy snow moves off, likely after 4 or 5 PM.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is awesome from NWS out in Reno... sounds like fun.  Love that they are even mentioning ski area impacts.  I think I've seen BTV list that once before when we had some convective graupel storm that was triggering lightning in the spring.  I doubt that is in the drop down box for impacts though in the NWS database, ha.

Greater Lake Tahoe Area CA-Greater Lake Tahoe Area NV-Greater Reno- Carson City-Minden Area NV- 220 PM PDT WED MAR 27 2019

...Line of Thundersnow Heading Toward Donner Pass, Lake Tahoe Region...

* At 215 PM PDT, NWS radar was tracking a line of heavy precipitation with embedded thunderstorms moving up the west slopes of the Sierra between Blue Canyon, Auburn, and Placerville.

* Impacts include: rapid visibility reductions to near zero with sudden snow accumulations on roadways, increase in traffic incidents and delays, lightning that could affect ski area operations. Consider delaying travel over Sierra passes until this band of heavy snow moves off, likely after 4 or 5 PM.

Some parts of Donner Pass and the Sierra Nevada's are probably nearing 700''+...since the start of February. I have to do stuff for Donner Pass and it's been fun. CALTRANS does an incredible job with the clean-up too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That seems so far away... can't wait, ha.  This afternoon was perfect and got home at 5pm to take the dog for a walk....man it'll be nice to walk without post-holing out to the Rec Path.

The snow does not seem to be melting much these days, which is either good that it's going so slow its hard to notice or bad because we are going to get a climax flood event at some point.

It’s nice to see. I’ll take a big late season event, but aside from that I’m ready for nice weather and signs of life. I know Mitch wants a nuclear wasteland all year, but with kids now...it’s great to send them out and enjoy the nice weather.  Things are still muddy though. A few patches still left in protected  spots. 

13 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

NNE setting up for big melt year. After some warmth this weekend more snow incoming then warm with dews  and rain.

On the radio this morning the Eye on the Sky report said a Danville VT watershed report said it is the 3rd highest water content in the snow pack since 1960.

21 minutes ago, klw said:

On the radio this morning the Eye on the Sky report said a Danville VT watershed report said it is the 3rd highest water content in the snow pack since 1960.

That sounds about right.  High-end snowpack in the hills.  Hopefully it goes slowly.  The river through Stowe still has ice and snow on it except for the main channel.

Just now, dendrite said:

Maybe go out at 4:55am and warm up the car?

That's about when I am exiting the shower and getting dressed. I am thinking of getting an automatic starter for next winter. Luckily it was not a thick frost and it scrapped off relatively easy. There is also this spray stuff I want to get which I hear works well at preventing frost.