Total Members
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu

The March Long Range Discussion Thread, Winter's Last Stand

50 minutes ago, yoda said:

Let me know when the 70s and sun reappears and stays... won't be for a while

It should be. April is fast approaching.

1 hour ago, Subtropics said:

How are y'all still hoping for snow? Isn't everyone ready for spring lol where you can actually enjoy time outside?

I love nice weather But It’s warm 90% of the time for 6 months.  It’s not rare. It’s not something I need to worry about. We will get plenty of warm nice days. Snow is way more rare.  But you know that your just trolling. 

• Like 1

After doing a complete 180 at 0z from its consistent good look for Tuesday/Wed  the Eps made a decent step back towards a decent look . Not quite back to what it was but a step towards the Gefs for sure.  Lots to sort no doubt for the day 4-6 timeframe. You know when southern Va and NC show hits cold won't be the problem though . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StantonParkHoya said:

It should be. April is fast approaching.

Just because it should be doesn't mean it will be

1 minute ago, MountainGeek said:

You know one of these years the April Fools storm will eventually verify.......2019 seems as good a year as any for it to happen. 

Can’t remember the exact year of the last one..want to say 1998

11 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Not the most recent one, but per: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/04/03/you-wont-believe-how-late-it-snowed-in-d-c-in-colonial-times/?utm_term=.bfbf413844f7

• The Great April Fools Day Storm of 1807. From the Ohio Valley to the northern mid-Atlantic, anywhere from 1-4 feet of snow accumulated, with the higher amounts, of course, in central Pennsylvania, New York, and New England.
  • April 5, 1863 recorded 12 inches of snow in Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
  • DC's latest measurable snow was on April 28, 1898, when .5 inches fell. 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

There's been several April Fool's Day storms- I think you're referring to 1997 which was a shutout for the airports. I believe the most recent accumulating April Fool's Day event was 1964. The biggest one by far was 1924 though. I'm really into late season anomalous snows- there's some more posted about them in the snowfall contest thread. B)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I don't think this image needs much explanation 

fv3p_mslpaNorm_us_20.png

Nope.  Pretty clear that is a map of the US with someone who colored outside the lines. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The real threat still looks good 

8955E8D9-C794-4CDA-AE6F-7E9ADCDA5187.thumb.png.60193de47703f567e879071b41b783d8.png

Pretty sure you're not serious but hope you're right; obviously, April 1st is very close to the time of year when only the day-10 model climate is cold enough for accumulating snow. It'll be memorable for sure.  Keep the faith ocean temperatures are near their annual minimum. 

The EPS also has weak support for this "event" - at least north of DC

I'm not ruling anything out for next week. Today I've received several inches of rain when just 3 days ago Euro didn't even have todays storm. It's an absolute deluge out there right now.

On 3/20/2019 at 8:37 PM, JakkelWx said:

What DT actually meant when he said it was gonna be dry for 10 days is that he wasn't gonna drink for 10 days. Well you see how that went.

Nice.! I read that post too.. and I was a little confused when he said it was gonna be dry for like 15 days or something..   We are in a flood warning right now.  I kinda feel sorry for him.

12 minutes ago, PDIII said:

Nice.! I read that post too.. and I was a little confused when he said it was gonna be dry for like 15 days or something..   We are in a flood warning right now.  I kinda feel sorry for him.

I do also BUT making absolute statements especially with weather is a formula for disaster.  Sometimes we dig our own graves, jump in, then regret it.  

38 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I do also BUT making absolute statements especially with weather is a formula for disaster.  Sometimes we dig our own graves, jump in, then regret it.  

He is kinda like JB2's doppelganger. Both are weenies gone awry.. once a promising career in broadcast meteorology.. now just trying to make it big on facebook.. but thats where there's path diverge.. Berk was a great caster butt I think his weenie stuff got in the way.  But now he does school assemblies and he is active in the community.  He came to my  kids school.. I think he is genuinely happy to be a facebook met.  DT just yells at people that visit his page.  I think I  got banned from DT I think the first day I commented on one of his posts.       

• Like 1

Tonights 00z GFS, CMC, and FV3 all want little to nothing to do with early next week at all

This unfulfilling winter needs to end. We keep falling short

There’s not many hits in the 00z euro members, though there’s still a small handful. Not looking great but given what happened with this week’s storm I think it’s fair to not totally give up yet. FWIW, the 12km NAM sees a cold front as well now that we’re in that range.

It’s not over yet. Let’s see what today brings.  Just some flakes is all I would like to see. 

8 minutes ago, 87storms said:

onto spring...

when 75 and sunny reappears... then that is Spring.  Next 10 days isn't really spring with lows 25-35 and highs in the 50s with a few low 60s mixed in