Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Re-Awakening - February 12-14th Redeveloper

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not sure it was ever on the table in your area...at least for amounts over 6". 

For north of the pike though it still cannot be ruled out but I've been favoring 4-6 for days here despite some of the 7-8" totals appearing from time to time on a few runs. 

NAM has been giving pause but it's coming in really strong at 12z for areas like KBED up to Ray

Oh I wasn't expecting 6 or more...but a lot of the runs the last couple days had good thumps for most of SNE away from the coast to start for some time..so that's what I was referring to.  I'd take 4" and call it a win.

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That's a nice thump look for some of you that jumped off the cliff on the 12z Nam.

Bent back WF is a lot sharper this run. That would produce some big rates likely for a few hours. That's what you want to see when you're racing against the sleet clock. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Bent back WF is a lot sharper this run. That would produce some big rates likely for a few hours. That's what you want to see when you're racing against the sleet clock. 

That 3-6hr period is where your going to need those good rates before the changeover, That looks real good up here as its a tic or two colder too on the onset anyways.

Definitely a good 1-2hours later with the changeover this run vs 6z. It's not a lot, but maybe it's the difference in a couple inches. These algorithms like to indicate IP as soon as any point in the mid-levels goes > 0.0C too, but you could still get another 30-60mins of refrozen flakes and large aggregates until the hydrometeors completely melt like Kevin did this morning.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Definitely a good 1-2hours later with the changeover this run vs 6z. It's not a lot, but maybe it's the difference in a couple inches. These algorithms like to indicate IP as soon as any point in the mid-levels goes > 0.0C too, but you could still get another 30-60mins of refrozen flakes and large aggregates until the hydrometeors completely melt like Kevin did this morning.

Looked better initially, Still would like to see that secondary track a little more to the east but we will take what it has at this point.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Looked better initially, Still would like to see that secondary track a little more to the east but we will take what it has at this point.

I mean, we can get the secondary going up to 925mb, but if we're dryslotted aloft it could still be cloud diarrhea as Scoot so eloquently put it.

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

2-3. s of Pike 3-6” North. Same as yesterday 

Leaving Stowe VT right now , lots of Snow.

As Well as lots of injuries on Slopes Yesterday.

You see the DART helicopter from Dartmouth-Hitchcock yesterday pick up that hiker that fell on the long trail on Mansfield and suffered severe head trauma from a long slide on ice?  He dragged himself out to a ski trail and collapsed.  That happened around 3pm.  A skier died at Jay yesterday too, RIP.  Just too much ice.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Front ender in the pike region is all I’m asking for.  I will not complain too loudly given our incredible run including some stand out winters topped by 4 years ago.

NAM tries to hold onto snow for you until near 00z (has a 0.3C warm layer at 00z)....with that look, you'd do pretty well. Hopefully that's a real trend in the midlevel WF look. 

17 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That 3-6hr period is where your going to need those good rates before the changeover, That looks real good up here as its a tic or two colder too on the onset anyways.

Looks like I only have a 1-3hr window. 1-4pm looks to be about it for snow.

NAM looks like dogshit for 6" plus in the pike region

Just now, dendrite said:

Yeah...H7-H8 is the big problem. We needed the secondary to really start blooming toward LI so we could get the mid levels backed more before we torch aloft.

It did end up being a little better this run, So it looked to hold off a bit longer but yeah, We do need to see a weaker primary and get the secondary to develop sooner, Just get this whole thing a couple tics east to keep that warm tongue at bay.

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Looks like I only have a 1-3hr window. 1-4pm looks to be about it for snow.

NAM looks like dogshit for 6" plus in the pike region

Looked a lot better for pike region and north over E MA. That look actually wouldn't surprise me if places like BED got 6". It's close though...could be 3-4" or it could be 6-7". That's the game though in these. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Looked a lot better for pike region and north over E MA. That look actually wouldn't surprise me if places like BED got 6". It's close though...could be 3-4" or it could be 6-7". That's the game tough in these. 

Sure, that area is closer to the source region of cold.  Also not an area I had concerns for pushing the 6" threshold.  I'm talking further W along I-90

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You see the DART helicopter from Dartmouth-Hitchcock yesterday pick up that hiker that fell on the long trail on Mansfield and suffered severe head trauma from a long slide on ice?  He dragged himself out to a ski trail and collapsed.  That happened around 3pm.  A skier died at Jay yesterday too, RIP.  Just too much ice.

If we get a rainer to the border this weekend the resorts will need to set up MASH units for vacation week.  

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A friend of mine and his family went up for the weekend. Never been and expected great conditions. Friday weather was rain in the  a.m., then wind. Saturday was closed. Similar to SR when we went. I felt bad for him and his family as probably >95% of the time Jay would be excellent. Was a long drive back to PWM yesterday for them.