• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    David
    Newest Member
    David
George BM

February Banter 2019

9 months until November 2019.  Taking the turkey out of the oven marks the beginning of tracking season.  Can’t get here quick enough.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Watch list or Reaper call?

Man I miss you.  I died long ago.  If I die again does it count as a slash on your sickle? 

Not sure how to grade this winter here. It hasn’t been awful by the numbers although I am still a healthy bit short of climo.  There have been a good number of snow events but most have kind of felt underwhelming. A lot of fringe and low to low end moderate events. A nickel and dime winter here for sure and that’s just not my thing. 

The only exception to that would be a winter like 93 and 94 up here which (other than the Superstorm) were nickel and dime lots of 3-6” events but so cold that both built up snowpack and had long stretches with snowcover. That would be awesome. But a bunch of 3-5” events that melt before the next one kind of feels a little deflating. 

I know some would love to get a bunch of 3-4” snowstorms and if they think I’m ridiculous I don’t blame them. Just saying how I feel. 

I think if I can get one more storm that tops the November 15 storm as my biggest of the year then this year jumps up to a C+ or B but if I don’t get anything else significant and that November storm ends up by only significant snowstorm of the year then it’s a D or C-  

If I don’t get anymore snow this year it would finish 8th out of 13 years. Not awful but given high expectations a let down for sure. This could all change with one 10”+ storm in March though!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Man I miss you.  I died long ago.  If I die again does it count as a slash on your sickle? 

Oh. Oops. 

Things got so busy I had to do a lot of unmarked graves. Should have known from your walk. 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c6dbaea6144596932

• Haha 3

Just now, coolio said:

When does one plow with this type of storm? I Had snow, and It's gonna be 32 tonight. Maybe freezing rain tonight?

Yes it could be a fantastic voyage 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Not sure how to grade this winter here. It hasn’t been awful by the numbers although I am still a healthy bit short of climo.  There have been a good number of snow events but most have kind of felt underwhelming. A lot of fringe and low to low end moderate events. A nickel and dime winter here for sure and that’s just not my thing. 

The only exception to that would be a winter like 93 and 94 up here which (other than the Superstorm) were nickel and dime lots of 3-6” events but so cold that both built up snowpack and had long stretches with snowcover. That would be awesome. But a bunch of 3-5” events that melt before the next one kind of feels a little deflating. 

I know some would love to get a bunch of 3-4” snowstorms and if they think I’m ridiculous I don’t blame them. Just saying how I feel. 

I think if I can get one more storm that tops the November 15 storm as my biggest of the year then this year jumps up to a C+ or B but if I don’t get anything else significant and that November storm ends up by only significant snowstorm of the year then it’s a D or C-  

If I don’t get anymore snow this year it would finish 8th out of 13 years. Not awful but given high expectations a let down for sure. This could all change with one 10”+ storm in March though!!!

Yes, I did think we had a good shot of a 2002-03 type winter but it just never materialized.  Way too many Great Lake cutters for me to give this winter a B grade.  I'd put it at a C, pending what happens in March. 

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

@psuhoffman I used to make the grading winter thread but it’s not going to feel right now that I don’t live here. You should start it.

Sure but I really don’t think we’re done yet. Might even have multiple events left  go. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Sure but I really don’t think we’re done yet. Might even have multiple events left  go. 

Agreed. We’re done up north, but y’all can still improve the final grade. 

I don't necessarily need climo snowfall for it to be considered a "good winter". The problem this winter is all the inch or less nickel/dime slop crap that provide zero enjoyment, but do add up to pad numbers. That includes today's inch. There have been 2 decent events here where I have gotten out and enjoyed the snow. That is below par for my idea of a good winter, and my standards aren't very high.

• Like 1

I would have never taken the 13” in December had I known I would be cursed with so many cold rain days with a few cloudy/60s in between. Bout to start sacrificing animals to the snow gods :gun_bandana:

12 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I think much of the disappointment or resentment in my head stems from some of the good long term pattern analysis that never materialized.  

• Like 1

My constituents, I said in jest that the contests were stupid. I meant no harm whatsoever. I hope you can find it in your no-doubt swollen hearts to forgive my feeble self.

sincerely,

i should have won

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Wxdood said:

and... since us who believe we would be in the 50s today are fools, what do you classify mets like yourself that make such a completely wrong claim like you did here?  Not being in 50s today?  what do you call them

Huh?

26 minutes ago, yoda said:

@nj2va @Scraff

Caps made a trade with the Kings to acquire Hagelin... he used to be on the Pens before traded to the Kings earlier this year for Pearson... Pelly has cleared waivers

I love the trade. Was reading about it earlier. He should fit in well!  

22 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Agreed. We’re done up north, but y’all can still improve the final grade. 

Maybe done wrt exceeding climo but I think New England probably does well in March given the look coming up.