Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

39 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It does but verbatim we would only briefly be looking at normal/slightly above temps then the ridge shifts east again by D15.

Yea I wasn’t trying to imply the eps was bad..but it was close. I have a feeling of the mjo gets to 8 in reality the trough axis shifts east some. 

38 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Probably yeah. I was looking at 850 mb temps. Either way the basic idea is the same. We hug the mutha fukin EPS.

Keep in mind a slight positive 850 anomaly is still cold enough since average 850 this time of year is well below 0. We are below 0c 850 from day 9 on. It gets close around day 13 then sinks south again. It was a good run. I was just saying I think the se ridge won’t be an issue if we get phase 8. That might not be a good thing. Shift the too Far East and it’s suppression depression. 

46 minutes ago, Ji said:

actualy temps are still below normal per the EPS D11 to D15 per EPS..so maybe we are in the battlezone of alot of precip:)

The only fly in that ointment is slightly below normal won’t cut it in mid Feb for a lot of us.  Think climo is mid 40s.  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

The only fly in that ointment is slightly below normal won’t cut it in mid Feb for a lot of us.  Think climo is mid 40s.  

Slightly below is fine if we get a system to run under us.   That mean high is skewed by sunny days and disagreement on timing of precip at range. 40 degrees and sunny with a dp of 23 can become 30 and snowing fast. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:
20 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Yea take 10 degrees off during a storm

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Slightly below is fine if we get a system to run under us.   That mean high is skewed by sunny days and disagreement on timing of precip at range. 40 degrees and sunny with a dp of 23 can become 30 and snowing fast. 

Lol

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Keep in mind a slight positive 850 anomaly is still cold enough since average 850 this time of year is well below 0. We are below 0c 850 from day 9 on. It gets close around day 13 then sinks south again. It was a good run. I was just saying I think the se ridge won’t be an issue if we get phase 8. That might not be a good thing. Shift the too Far East and it’s suppression depression. 

Eh, it that happens, so be it. That is the least of my concerns at this point.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Eh, it that happens, so be it. That is the least of my concerns at this point.

Lol I’m not actually worried about that. But we need to be close to the gradient in that pattern or it’s cold and dry. The euro is a little too close. Shift it east a bit and reality might be perfect. 

Man today was nice. Loved the warmer weather. Good analysis in here already so nothing to add. Looks like things are going as I was expecting so far. It's going to be a busy month. Get your sleep and enjoy the weather this week. One thing I really like on guidance is fairly tight spacing on shortwaves coming off the Pac. If the flow lines up right we (or anybody) on the east coast could get 2 or more storms in succession. I hope everyone gets hit from the SE to NNE. Would put out a lot of dumpster fires on Amwx. Lol. Our sub is the most level headed. That's not all that common. 

• Like 5

Snowfall mean may be up from 00 UT but signal is still noisy. 

Over a 15-day period, the percent of EPS ensembles giving DC-area (northern MD) 3" of snow is 42(52%) for the latest run, which is more than the previous run 26 (42%) but the same as 24-hours ago 46 (54%).  The percent of ensembles giving DC and the northern MD folks a 6" snow is the same as the previous run (~20%) but less than 24 hours ago (~30%). 

For the last several weeks there have been numerous "threats" in the 10-15 day range that evaporate inside of 10 days ...fortunately a few have re-appeared in the operational model around day 7 with considerable ensemble support. Will be interesting to see if that pattern continues. 

2 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

FV-3 is my go to model. What a run especially , I know , two weeks out when we finally get a lp to get south of us. Looked like 30 hours of frozen, mostly snow. Didn't check if there was good blocking but the precip just came coming and coming.

Just a tad.

block.thumb.png.e6e03b543be95e36a6b57d4d1981826c.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

FV-3 is my go to model. What a run especially , I know , two weeks out when we finally get a lp to get south of us. Looked like 30 hours of frozen, mostly snow. Didn't check if there was good blocking but the precip just came coming and coming.

If u extrapolate beyond that there is another punch coming a day or so later too lol. Nothing like a fantasy 300hr+ storm and extrapolating beyond 384 in what appears to be a prolific gradient pattern. 

Dug into the ensembles this evening. Clear picture that our next chance is the 11-12th. Pretty good agreement with the type of progression on the gefs, geps, and eps. Looks like a west track CAD event if it works out here. I actually really like those because they aren't complicated. The tradeoff is mixed precip but these events are easier on the nerves because 50 or 100 or even 150 mile track shifts often don't make much of any difference. Models will often underestimate the staying power of midlevel cold if there's cold drain/northerly surface and midlevel flow as the low approaches. Insitu CAD on the other hand will often be overestimated but discussing these types of details 7+ days out is silly. Just something to keep an eye on if the threat becomes real. Tracking hp trends to our north is equally as important as watching low pressure to the south. 

If models are underestimating blocking or 50/50 influence then it's possible to get all snow. I doubt it though. We're at least 10 days away from a clean snowstorm pattern from what I'm seeing. Nice to see a return to a non shutout pattern inside of 10 days now. I'm not sure if we'll ever get the near perfect pattern we've been teased with all winter. It may not matter.

Overall I really like what I'm seeing. All guidance shows a parade of high pressures moving mostly west to east to our north as we get into next weekend. That's very different from the EPO driven gradient/boundary patterns we've seen the last 4 years. Having a cold high to our west makes the win zone really narrow and ripe for rug pulls. Cold highs to the north allow a lot of wiggle room and is also easier to model further out in time. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

If the 0z GEFS is even close to right Feb is toast through 384. I know we are tossing but man I hope the EPS is better. Unless I am reading it wrong 2m temps are AN through the entire run.  All day every day.  

Sounds like a huge change for the worse from 18z based on what you said. If it shifts around that much from run to run, I’d see it as a red flag when it comes to its reliability.