Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hybrid Clipper Event 1/27-1/29

Baum

18 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Still pretty sizable spread on the GEFS. The operational model trends except for UKMET are what they are today, though not gonna punt this for northern IL. This synoptic setup is a tough one for the models to nail and some of the important features are in a data void area. d6218b72b36cf753637a92806dfbf688.jpgf0d378cad4aa1586ffb8393fd170aff7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks RC.

E3/E20 are how I see this eventually unfolding, favoring the IL/WI border. 

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Longevity of the most severe cold has definitely trended back to a significant degree.

Yeah, I saw that, was just being a smarta$$. I honestly would not want the intrusion to be as prolonged as was earlier depicted. Just brutal and life-threatening.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To RCNY point above the 12Z operational GFS was north of the 6z but the 12Z GEFS is better than the 6z GEFS

GEFSMW_prec_meansnacc_102.png&key=db7dbfece269e001e6048495edb539b35a76e1d137855a0ecc0d2ac666d6e5eb

Good point. Spread actually increased on 12z GEFS vs 06z GEFS, showing the sensitive nature of the pattern evolution for this hybrid. We have 2 PV pieces dropping south over Canada that will play a role, another northern stream wave dropping southeast over Canada, and the parent short wave is well out over Pacific in the Gulf of AK. It won't be fully ashore into northern BC until tomorrow afternoon/evening.

I think it is probably safe to say that areas south of I-80 are less likely to get into the potential 6"+ snow swath at this point but areas north still certainly in the game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I always get a kick out of how storm threads are a roller coaster based on the models. 1st everyone was saying this was going to go South South South because of previous clipper tracks, cold, etc, and now its North, has Wisconsin special written all over it, etc.. If the models were people they would get a kick out of how they play with our minds. I personally would like a little nudge South on the models. Doing OK right now, but GFS is a little too far North for my liking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

One thing I noticed and this is in the mesoscale so it has a chance to change but the areas on the NAM and GFS that get rain, are below freezing as soon as 950mb. The surface warmth is very shallow and only getting a couple degrees above freezing at most. To me that tells me heavy wet snow over rain. Obviously this is more of a detail that is highly subject to change but just looking at the current projections in the here and now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WPC update:

--18Z UPDATE---
No change to the initial model preference. The 12Z ECMWF slowed
down the trough over the Gulf further, but the same preference in
that area (timing compromise) is still preferred. With the clipper
system, the 12Z UKMET trended closer to the GFS for the low track,
but the ECMWF remained closer south and was joined by the GEFS
Mean. The preference there is to continue with a non-NAM blend,
with a slightly higher weight on the GFS.

The GEFS is in more agreement with the Euro according to them

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

One thing I noticed and this is in the mesoscale so it has a chance to change but the areas on the NAM and GFS that get rain, are below freezing as soon as 950mb. The surface warmth is very shallow and only getting a couple degrees above freezing at most. To me that tells me heavy wet snow over rain. Obviously this is more of a detail that is highly subject to change but just looking at the current projections in the here and now.

Very good point, I have been wondering about this too. I also think its unlikely that we see areas in the "warm sector" get to or above 40 despite what the GFS suggests. One of the finer details that will become clearer as time goes on. 

NWS Chicago just now on Twitter... I'll take these odds...

"Significant snow is possible beginning on Sunday in the late aftn to early evening hours. Right now, areas north of I-88 have a greater than 50% chance of seeing at least 6 inches of snow. Stay tuned to the forecast for the latest updates. amounts across the area."

• Like 1