Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

Just now, psuhoffman said:

We won't need a ton of qpf if we get higher ratios...so if we can get a small bump to like .3 we could get 3-5" up here...but if the coastal continues to trend stronger but not strong enough to influence us that could kill our area if it robs the lift and moisture transport from the WAA wave to the north sooner and everything collapses south as the ccb develops.  If that ccb then does us no good we end up with weak sauce up here.  

On the other hand... we are not within another 30-40 mile bump north from having a very good result even up here so its not impossible.  We have seen it many times...we had about that much of a north adjustment at the end on the Dec 9 storm only it did us no good since we were 100 miles out of the game that time.  

I just checked kuchera ratios and they are around 14:1-15:1 For northern MD North of the 695-70 area so i agree it wont take much QPF to have a good snow up here. If the coastal continues its trend north then we can get even better.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Not sure I like the trend towards more coastal development for us up here.  Our best shot was the WAA wave but that will shut off a little faster as the coastal takes over and so we are seeing the gradient tighten up...that could be good for DC and bad for us.  Still time for another shift or two but not in love with the new look right now.  

So you think this will be the rare 1 in 20 event where your yard doesnt somehow find a way... no matter how jacked up or weird it is... to come in at or above dc and the suburbs? Eh, enjoy your jackpot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

So you think this will be the rare 1 in 20 event where your yard doesnt somehow find a way... no matter how jacked up or weird it is... to come in at or above dc and the suburbs? Eh, enjoy your jackpot.

LOL I am not complaining...as obviously over any period of time I will win way more than lose and the "fringe" thing is mostly a joke now, BUT in these kinds of moderate events it can and has happened a bit more often then you think.  The late Feb 2007 storm, March 2009, January 2010, The first March 2014 storm, Twice in Feb 2015... its possible for the urban corridor to get more than me.  Not DCA they will record 1" even if everyone around has 4 but in general it does happen sometimes and this is the kind of situation where it COULD.  Not saying I would bet on it... I don't need much qpf to win up here...even with less than ideal temperatures I typically have very good ratios here on this ridge and I am aware of it...but if the trend to tighten up the system continues and the ccb development ends up robbing the moisture transport into the WAA snow to the north it is possible we see a situation where there is a right cutoff between DC and the PA line.  It's rare not impossible.  I am not really worried about it yet...and if it happens oh well I will live and I will feel happy for you guys and at least it should improve the mood on this forum for a while!

Just now, psuhoffman said:

LOL I am not complaining...as obviously over any period of time I will win way more than lose and the "fringe" thing is mostly a joke now, BUT in these kinds of moderate events it can and has happened a bit more often then you think.  The late Feb 2007 storm, March 2009, January 2010, The first March 2014 storm, Twice in Feb 2015... its possible for the urban corridor to get more than me.  Not DCA they will record 1" even if everyone around has 4 but in general it does happen sometimes and this is the kind of situation where it COULD.  Not saying I would bet on it... I don't need much qpf to win up here...even with less than ideal temperatures I typically have very good ratios here on this ridge and I am aware of it...but if the trend to tighten up the system continues and the ccb development ends up robbing the moisture transport into the WAA snow to the north it is possible we see a situation where there is a right cutoff between DC and the PA line.  It's rare not impossible.  I am not really worried about it yet...and if it happens oh well I will live and I will feel happy for you guys and at least it should improve the mood on this forum for a while!

like, a day. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

dude--i have never seen a DC metro event where you didnt end up getting the most. Congrats and see you on 1/22

• Haha 1

6Z GFS Cobb data. I am not going to post the entire thing. It is too long. I will just post the highest snow total for each airport. If you want to see all of the data from your closest airport go here and enter your airport code: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfsm&site=kiad

kmrb:

190113/0800Z  50  11004KT  28.7F  SNOW    8:1| 0.1|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.012    8:1|  1.7|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.21  100|  0|  0

kiad:

190113/1400Z  56  07006KT  29.7F  SNOW    7:1| 0.1|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.013   11:1|  3.6|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.34  100|  0|  0

kdca:

190113/1500Z  57  06007KT  31.4F  SNOW    7:1| 0.1|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.010    9:1|  2.9|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.31  100|  0|  0

kbwi:

190113/1500Z  57  06007KT  29.9F  SNOW   10:1| 0.1|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.011   10:1|  2.1|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.22  100|  0|  0

woo:

190113/2000Z  62  05006KT  29.6F  SNOW    7:1| 0.1|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.010    9:1|  6.4|| 0.02|| 0.00|| 0.73  100|  0|  0

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It'll probably start snowing at his house before DC.

Or DC will start as rain for some reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scraff said:

Sweet!  What’s your call for you, me, and @osfan24? Will I see you on the sledding hill? ;)

Haven't really wavered from a 2-4" for our yards in several days. Had moments where I was leaning higher (2 days ago) and leaning lower (yesterday evening).  Hoping we close strong here and maybe inch up towards a 3-6" range, but not ready to make that call.  

1 hour ago, LeesburgWx said:

So Ji and I received 5 inches from the November fluke storm. That is my bar for this storm. Although it will be MUCH colder this go around and will likely stick around for more than 18 hours 

we will have 10 inches by Jan 13th....is that good?

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Honestly with a lot of these storms you are in the same boat as psuhoffman, such as this one, where it's looking drier north of Baltimore.

PSU will do better than you, me and Phin. His elevation will help him out a lot. DC will do better than us. 

my guess anyways. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic