Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,126
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    laikakat
    Newest Member
    laikakat
    Joined

Banter Thread


jburns
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

You'll spend a lot of time up in Wisconsin.  Those weekend strolls over to Madison and up to Wisconsin Dells will be amazing.  Hope you like camping and fishing.  Definitely an outdoor sportsmans paradise.  

Yeah, Dubuque is awesome! I love all that outdoor stuff! Only 2 hours to Chicago, I’m excited! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, mackerel_sky said:

Dead serious! Dubuque 

so freaking excited! 

Pretty cool man. I'm definitely going to be jealous of all your cold and snow! Saw in Jan 19 their monthly temp average was a balmy 15 degrees with one day having a high of -16! You'll be laughing your way to the sled while we're sitting at 65 hoping or a front to bring us a flurry. :cry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Pretty cool man. I'm definitely going to be jealous of all your cold and snow! Saw in Jan 19 their monthly temp average was a balmy 15 degrees with one day having a high of -16! You'll be laughing your way to the sled while we're sitting at 65 hoping or a front to bring us a flurry. :cry:

Or.....we all realize that Mack was the curse of the SE forum and his departure brings a 10 year run of 20+ inch snowfalls and below normal temps, including 6" of snow on Christmas eve.  Meanwhile in Iowa they're playing golf in January and rejoicing in the growing season being extended for 2 months.

Thanks Mack! ^_^

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2020 at 7:07 PM, kvegas-wx said:

Or.....we all realize that Mack was the curse of the SE forum and his departure brings a 10 year run of 20+ inch snowfalls and below normal temps, including 6" of snow on Christmas eve.  Meanwhile in Iowa they're playing golf in January and rejoicing in the growing season being extended for 2 months.

Thanks Mack! ^_^

It's also possible that the "South of 85" curse is specifically because of Mack and the country may now be faced with a new curse of "South of Hwy 20"(hwy that bisects Dubuque). We should all monitor 20-21 snowfall in Iowa and the midwest and if this hypothesis proves correct we will all chip in and buy Mack a house on the beach in Fort Lauderdale  !!!

And, anticipation will bring you back to post in the SE Forum, for sure, as we all love to watch a good tragedy, i.e, our GFS-inspired winters.

Enjoy the new environs, Sir !  New adventures are always great for the soul.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Shack said:

It's also possible that the "South of 85" curse is specifically because of Mack and the country may now be faced with a new curse of "South of Hwy 20"(hwy that bisects Dubuque). We should all monitor 20-21 snowfall in Iowa and the midwest and if this hypothesis proves correct we will all chip in and buy Mack a house on the beach in Fort Lauderdale  !!!

And, anticipation will bring you back to post in the SE Forum, for sure, as we all love to watch a good tragedy, i.e, our GFS-inspired winters.

Enjoy the new environs, Sir !  New adventures are always great for the soul.

Thanks! I think I will end up right on 20 in DBQ, not too far from the arboretum 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2020 at 4:58 AM, mackerel_sky said:

Moving to Iowa in a few weeks! I know y’all will miss me! You won’t hear me bitch about lack of snow anymore! :sled::scooter:

I guess we will be gaining a member in the Lakes/OV forum.  You will make fun of us for how we handle heat but we will make fun of you for how you handle temps below zero.  :sizzle: :shiver:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a localized drought going on at my farm in Franklin county SW of Louisburg. Last measurable rain was on June 14th. Beans and tobacco have about 1/3 the normal growth this time of year and it is a legitimate dust bowl when driving down the dirt road. Crazy how some areas just seem to miss every storm in these summer patterns. Praying for rain but I worry our crops have already failed as we do not have irrigation and the current sad state has their growth potential limited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

:devilsmiley:

DBQ has actually never recorded a winter that failed to get below zero.  Most winters will have at least a dozen nights below zero.  Too bad you weren't there for the big cold in Jan 2019.  DBQ got to -31 then.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jburns said:

An engine block heater might be he solution.

And a heated blanket or two.  And a generator.  Maybe a pellet stove or a solar solution for heat.  You can survive the heat.  You cant survive the cold, especially with no power and secondary heat source.  You're gonna freeze your rocks off Mack!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

They have a lot of wind , too! 
I won’t be dissatisfied with lack of snow up there! 

Yeah I just got stationed in Germany now. Lots of wind here especially in winter time with those powerful storm systems that move through. It’s been windy everyday I’ve been here so far. Hopefully snowy too. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, metalicwx366 said:

Yeah I just got stationed in Germany now. Lots of wind here especially in winter time with those powerful storm systems that move through. It’s been windy everyday I’ve been here so far. Hopefully snowy too. 

Where in Germany are you stationed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, metalicwx366 said:

Ramstein. Really close to France/Germany border. 

I did 2 years in Germany. I was a bit further north near Frankfurt. Except a lot of gray foggy days but very little in the way of snow. Cool summers though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jburns said:

I did 2 years in Germany. I was a bit further north near Frankfurt. Except a lot of gray foggy days but very little in the way of snow. Cool summers though.

I did two years as well (Bitburg AB - near Luxembourg boarder). Saw one good snow, and then afterwards the storms reminded me of NC winter storms; all mixed bag events. But as you stated, the cool summers were very nice. Our barracks didn't have AC and there were only a few days a years were it got really hot.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...