Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Banter Thread

jburns

20 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

My son just found a wolly worm. Couldn't have been more solid black if you had painted it so. For some reason I doubt the old tales...

I’ve only seen one solid black woolly worm and he is the biggest one I’ve ever seen :lol: The rest have all been “bookend” marked. I’m thinking we will have decent chances this year, despite the La Niña designation. :snowing:  

edit to say I can’t remember the last time I thought this :lol: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StormyClearweather said:

So I just switched from Android to iOS, and on Android there was an excellent NWS-based app (NOAA Weather Unofficial). I can't seem to find something comparable on iOS that gives easy access to Forecast Discos, hazards, etc. Anybody have any suggestions?

I just save the various pages in my web favorites. Unfortunately, I haven’t found a free one worthy enough to recommend :( 

• 2 weeks later...

Fellows:

We need urgent prayer for Big Frosty (Rodney).    

He and his wife both contracted COVID about a month ago and he cleared it after a brief hospitalization and was back at work.   Unfortunately, the side effects came back last night with blood clots in the lung and pneumonia.  He is hospitalized today but not in ICU.

Rodney asked that he will appreciate prayer from everyone for a quick recovery.

There is no one else that has a higher level of interest in winter weather and knows his local climatology the way Big Frosty does.  

To all, thank you for taking the time to be prayer warriors.   It is gratefully appreciated.  Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Fellows:

He and his wife both contracted COVID about a month ago and he cleared it after a brief hospitalization and was back at work.   Unfortunately, the side effects came back last night with blood clots in the lung and pneumonia.  He is hospitalized today but not in ICU.

There is no one else that has a higher level of interest in winter weather and knows his local climatology the way Big Frosty does.  

To all, thank you for taking the time to be prayer warriors.   It is gratefully appreciated.  Thank you.

Oh no, prayers lifted

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Im going to try and watch it out at Folly

You can see them from SC?

I live about 70 miles just about due west of Cape Canaveral.  For the most part I can see the fireball underneath. Even during the middle of the day if its clear.

But twlight hours you can definitely see the fireball. Those early morning hours are the best because the upper levels are cooler. 

I'm contemplating on riding out to the Cape tomorrow.  Been years since I seen one in person.  Just to hear it and feel the ground shaking. 

But fyi the launch window is 730 PM to 12:15am.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:46 PM, FLweather said:

You can see them from SC?

I live about 70 miles just about due west of Cape Canaveral.  For the most part I can see the fireball underneath. Even during the middle of the day if its clear.

But twlight hours you can definitely see the fireball. Those early morning hours are the best because the upper levels are cooler. 

I'm contemplating on riding out to the Cape tomorrow.  Been years since I seen one in person.  Just to hear it and feel the ground shaking. 

But fyi the launch window is 730 PM to 12:15am.

Oh absolutely! Clear as day you can see night time launches

On 11/13/2020 at 3:24 PM, nchighcountrywx said:

Haven't seen any follow up news on Frosty. Any word?

Fellows:

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2020 at 2:20 PM, StormyClearweather said:

So I just switched from Android to iOS, and on Android there was an excellent NWS-based app (NOAA Weather Unofficial). I can't seem to find something comparable on iOS that gives easy access to Forecast Discos, hazards, etc. Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm on Android... Thought about switching but went with Note 10. I too like the NWS Weather Unofficial and use it every day. A while back I found an app named Windy which has become my 2nd go to weather app. I just checked and it is available on IOS as well as Android. Check it out and see what you think.

You can try it out on the web here.

46 minutes ago, FamouslyHot said:

What happened to this forum? I remember it used to be much more populated. Now I can go weeks and it seems like I only missed a handful of posts. Did everyone migrate to a different forum?

It’s been slow around here.  Weather is still a discussed subject I assume.  Maybe they’re doing it elsewhere.  I just don’t feel like signing up for another forum.

Speaking of slow, who’s ready for the usual southeast pattern of 25 and dry then 45 and wet?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FamouslyHot said:

What happened to this forum? I remember it used to be much more populated. Now I can go weeks and it seems like I only missed a handful of posts. Did everyone migrate to a different forum?

Well with the very active Hurricane season I think most of us were in the main tropical page and now with the holidays around, people have other things to do plus the weather has been pretty benign lately.

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

It’s been slow around here.  Weather is still a discussed subject I assume.  Maybe they’re doing it elsewhere.  I just don’t feel like signing up for another forum.

Speaking of slow, who’s ready for the usual southeast pattern of 25 and dry then 45 and wet?

add about 20 degrees to those temps and that sounds about right for my neck of the woods

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Well with the very active Hurricane season I think most of us were in the main tropical page and now with the holidays around, people have other things to do plus the weather has been pretty benign lately.

I still frequent the tropical page here. I just remember the southeast forum here as being really busy, especially during winter. It was the first forum I joined right before the January 2017 storm. I remember the epic meltdown as that storm trended NW. Really set the tone for the next few winters haha

6 minutes ago, FamouslyHot said:

I still frequent the tropical page here. I just remember the southeast forum here as being really busy, especially during winter. It was the first forum I joined right before the January 2017 storm. I remember the epic meltdown as that storm trended NW. Really set the tone for the next few winters haha

Wait until the 1st big snow fall prediction for us and it will light up.

• Like 1