Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Looking at individual Euro Ens members there is going to be a pretty intense storm 4th to 6th on the East Coast, with a new moon tide to boot. Not surprised.  Deets to be worked out.

Agreed re overall active pattern for these first couple of weeks...

Doesn't appear to be connected to hemispheric concerns with AO ... Mjo and PNA even appear in disconnect during this particular evolution of events. There appears to be counter-balancing larger scaled influences acting on the general circulation theme over this side of the hemisphere.  Fascinating. 

I've been on top of the indexes lately ...more so than usual, as lot of unused OOO time gave me a couple weeks here in December...  The PNA was subtle albeit suggestive of some sort of Archembault correction chances for awhile and so seeing these frets and starts materializing in the individual members ... understandable, once on this side of the se bulge.

• Thanks 1

Just now, dendrite said:

I’m not sure. I sign in at 6am every morning and read about the FV3 and ICON bringing a big storm and the Euro having a SW energy bias and then by midday sanity is restored.

:lol:  Once I see Icon and Fv3 mentioned, time to make coffee and see what Trump effed up overnight. 

• Haha 5

Mm...this entire suite looks like it's running home to assimilations ...

I wonder if some sampling is either missed, corrupted, or shadowed ...or some combination of all the above.  That kind of continuity shift going from spectral ends of power to pallid is a bit beyond present day tech handling ... Not saying the models are intrinsically that good either - but, ... unfortunately, we can't see any diagnostic information due to Trump

haha

The GGEM's reasonable spatial consistency while mainly losing the mechanical amplitude is also a smoking gun for a data/sampling related matters.

I'm inclined to think the Euro ends up a little flatter...though it's superior 4-d system may atone for any discrepancy/shortcomings in that regard, it may not avoiding it altogether.  It would mean a slightly cooler profile (if so...) and several ensuing hours of 'better mood' as things seem strangely optimistic in the forum world.. ha!

The GEFS/EPS are going to keep flip flopping day to day, so it is what it is. 

The MJO should move into phase 7 pretty quickly once we enter the new year. It may be there by Jan 5-7. 

It's a high amplitude MJO so I don't buy it getting stuck in phase 7 or even looping as one model suggests. Regardless, phase 7 is a hell of a lot better than 5/6 and models will eventually reflect that. 

The 3/4 system looks like either a missed phase or a cutter, never bought into it. Pattern doesn't support a snowstorm right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The GEFS/EPS are going to keep flip flopping day to day, so it is what it is. 

The MJO should move into phase 7 pretty quickly once we enter the new year. It may be there by Jan 5-7. 

It's a high amplitude MJO so I don't buy it getting stuck in phase 7 or even looping as one model suggests. Regardless, phase 7 is a hell of a lot better than 5/6 and models will eventually reflect that. 

The 3/4 system looks like either a missed phase or a cutter, never bought into it. Pattern doesn't support a snowstorm right now.

No in-between huh?

Just looked at all the models on Tidbits.  I like what I'm seeing with the lows staying off shore.  That's really god trend/start. However, the CMC model it has a slight warm bias, I've seen this with is track. I'm actually more afraid of a graze than a storm center riding up through the far south shore, Cape Cod area.  The Euro will be interesting to say the least come 1:00 PM.  

Just now, Greg said:

Just looked at all the models on Tidbits.  I like what I'm seeing with the lows staying off shore.  That's really good! However like the CMC model it has a slight warm bias, I've seen this with is track. I'm actually more afraid of a graze than a storm center riding up through the far south shore, Cape Cod area.  The Euro will be interesting to say the least come 1:00 PM.  

Dude...if it’s all southern stream and no northern stream, we can have a perfect BM track...still going to be rain outside of the mountains. 

6 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Dude...if it’s all southern stream and no northern stream, we can have a perfect BM track...still going to be rain outside of the mountains. 

You want the northern stream energy to help enhance the primary low but not too much.  I guess it is a little like "threading the needle" per se but doable. In other words, the system coming down from the great lakes needs to help a little bit as a kicker but not too much so that it goes further out to sea at the same time enhancing it but not too much so it goes over the Cape.  This solution is still doable.

• Like 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic