Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, WinterWolf said:

It made a ton of sense.   Sure it can happen once in a great while..but that is the exception rather than the rule.  But into it..maybe this time it really happens. We’ll see.  

Sure, I remember 94...but as I said..not the rule, and that was 25 years ago, hence my point.  

We’re not talking about a slow moving coastal that stalls S of LI so we pray for 48hours of continuous snow. When you get an overunning event along a frontal boundry, it’s actually more likely for a long duration event consisting of multiple pulses. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We’re not talking about a slow moving coastal that stalls S of LI so we pray for 48hours of continuous snow. When you get an overunning event along a frontal boundry, it’s actually more likely for a long duration event consisting of multiple pulses. 

Bro I know exactly what we’re talking about...

To me these long duration looks usually evolve into seperate systems/parts going forward, and they usually are more of a disappointment from what we all think happens in the accumulation department.   That’s my opinion because I’ve seen this many times...but it’s fine for different ideas to be thrown around...we’ll see how it plays out going forward.  I think we’ll see two distinct separate systems/pulses as this evolves. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah those systems usually have a lull but I think they are arguing semantics.  3 days of snow to one person means "off and on snow for 3 days", while the next poster thinks it means 72 straight hours of snow one at the ASOS.  

It never stopped snowing where I was, totally light but your under the radar beam dust

There's a pretty good chance this ends up being a general frontal passage with a lot of rain/mixed precip out ahead of it and bitter cold behind it. 

However the icing scenarios are equally possible. You have a massive supply of low level cold that's being pushed southward against a would be cutter and an ample moisture supply.

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thanks for explaining this to him.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thanks for explaining this to him.

It’s No problem..I know the situation, I was giving my experiences and how things more often than not play out around these parts.  This will evolve further as we go through the next few days...all options on the table as we know.  

Glad there’s  something to track..that’s the important thing imo.  

• Like 1

Ha ha ha ( golf clap ) ...

Boy... didn't take long to wind y'all up, huh.  You've gone from rocking, blood-shot eyed, straight-jacket padded cell apoplexy, to already visualizing in greed how this going to maximize.. on a temporal dime.    :) 

I dunno, I just still don't like the compressed look to the flow everywhere - don't worry...there will be a time and place along the synoptic history of the Universe in which the compression won't be as concerning, at which point that auto-mantra will blow less hard than the Nor'easters the models keep trying to paint during said compression. 

Here's the rub... the compression is not an absolute mitigation. It's a reducing factor ... Here's how it works for the less than knowing: excessive wind velocity in the ambient geostrophic medium, absorbs embedded particular S/W mechanics by lowering their d(v) within the flow. With lower d(v), that (physically) requires less restoring jets ( you can look these up in the total cyclonic model)  Weaker restoring = weaker resulting cylogenesis.  d(v) = (wind velocity of the ambient - wind velocity maximum of S/W)  ... (this is paraphrased mathematics describing the partial derivatives of Navior Stokes)

It's alright ...even the watered down version is little pricey for some readers ... But that processing is not necessarily canceling out S/W mechanics either. It's just taking some away - that's the "take away" (puns always intended).

I'm not opposed to an event through the time frame ... I brought it up myself, yesterday, that the previous trend probably should not apply to the time span in question. I just would reign in the maxing - and perhaps the more important impetus being ... strive for an objective approach early in the game to help mitigate the "let down" factor.  Should this this end up being less... and definitely if the fast flow seems culpable, I'm going to drub this post back out of the past and bold this paragraph ;)

If not... it would be rare to have an open wave like the para GFS create that much output, by torquing a closing mid level closure around inside such a hurried medium.  That should be dubious - just sayn', because the mechanical taxation/concepts above should be absorbing it's ability to do so.

I guess ... if the wave comes off the Pacific in the upper tier power ... boy, it'd half to be really f'n powerful because the compression issue back east is a super-synoptic, planetary wave consideration ...and S/W don't typically tell those where to poop in the woods.

Having said all that... modulate toward less compression?  No problem...  put eight scoops on a kiddie cone, I won't care as much...

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic