Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

https://mobile.twitter.com/GCarbin/status/1101915681493274624

February 2019 comes in with the greatest areal coverage of "heavy precipitation" over the CONUS of any February in the last 51 years. Three of the five "wettest" Februarys (by this measure) have now occurred in the past three years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/02/27/februburied-up-feet-snow-has-fallen-mountains-west-coast-this-february/?utm_term=.187cf8828418

The latest in a nonstop series of winter storms is dumping additional feet of snow on major mountain ranges along the West Coast, breaking records along the way.

In California’s Sierra Nevada, Squaw Valley has notched its snowiest month on record, Mammoth Mountain has seen in its snowiest February, and Homewood Mountain has surpassed 500 inches for the season. Sierra-at-Tahoe has dubbed the onslaught of snow “Februburied.”

When world-renowned ski areas marvel at the massive amount of snow, you know something incredible is happening.

With February totals as high as 300 inches (25 feet!) now reported, this month has gone from epic to unbelievable. It’s great news for the region’s water supply, and there’s little question that skiing is going deep into summer this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Tony, if you're  going to threaten someone, threaten me.  

5 bans in 12 hours isnt impressive.  It's pathetic.  

I didn’t do anything to you guys, I’m leaving to another board. I still like you you’re alright and bxengine is just mad cause he’s old. Anyway that’s it for me good luck and take care. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Rjayiloveyouitstony said:

I didn’t do anything to you guys, I’m leaving to another board. I still like you you’re alright and bxengine is just mad cause he’s old. Anyway that’s it for me good luck and take care. 

Agree he's old af but dont threaten people.   You've done everything possible to get banned.   

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Snow88 said:

It was a bust for the majority of the NYC area and LI.

What was manhattan’s forecast? What was their final total?

you guys throw “bust” around way too easily. Some areas underperforming doesnt make it a “bust”. Having a 2’ forecast and getting 4” is a bust. Forecasted 5” and getting 3” isnt a damn bust. 

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

you guys throw “bust” around way too easily. Some areas underperforming doesnt make it a “bust”. Having a 2’ forecast and getting 4” is a bust. Forecasted 5” and getting 3” isnt a damn bust. 

But, but, but, the people want their snow!!

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

What constitutes a bust in your mind?  

I was forecasted to receive 5-8 inches of snow (melville LI) and we have anywhere from 2-3 inches, roads that were cleared by 5 am and schools that have delayed openings due to this storm. 

18 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

I was forecasted to receive 5-8 inches of snow (melville LI) and we have anywhere from 2-3 inches, roads that were cleared by 5 am and schools that have delayed openings due to this storm. 

You probably had closer to 4”. The snow is settling and melting already. It looked like I had 4-5”, and it was a couple inches when I went to bed around 11pm. It was a disappointment, but I can’t complain about having 11” over 3 events in 3 days (assuming 1.5” Fri AM, 4-5” Fri overnight, 4-5” this AM) 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Well i mean go read the discussions around here last night and even today. Central park was at 5”, and because it wasnt 5” on the streets people are claiming bust. Even if the city was forecasted for 6-9”, is 5” a bust? I mean thats a real stretch. Part of the south shore, sure...that can probably constitute a bust. I avoid LIDville like the plague so i dont know as much about the issues the southern sections of LI face with marginal setups.

We had good indications just north of the city that there were areas that would overperform. Why isnt anyone screaming bust about that? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

WTF man, I was forecasted for 5-8 and ended up with a little over 9"! I want a do over so I can get less like the forecast said. Bust!!!!! :poster_oops:

There’s a difference between a bust and disappointment/underperformed. This one underperformed for people near the coast but it’s probably not a bust. My point and click had 6-10” yesterday evening and I had 4-5”, so I guess you could call that a bust technically since it fell outside the range. 

• Like 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

There’s a difference between a bust and disappointment/underperformed. This one underperformed for people near the coast but it’s probably not a bust. My point and click had 6-10” yesterday evening and I had 4-5”, so I guess you could call that a bust technically since it fell outside the range. 

i called it a bust at 9:00 pm last night..a fitting end to  a miserable nyc snow season...

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yeah being 1” from your predicted range definitely doesnt need the “omg what a bust” bs that went on in the obs thread last night. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Well i mean go read the discussions around here last night and even today. Central park was at 5”, and because it wasnt 5” on the streets people are claiming bust. Even if the city was forecasted for 6-9”, is 5” a bust? I mean thats a real stretch. Part of the south shore, sure...that can probably constitute a bust. I avoid LIDville like the plague so i dont know as much about the issues the southern sections of LI face with marginal setups.

We had good indications just north of the city that there were areas that would overperform. Why isnt anyone screaming bust about that? 

I think that for me--In Melville--which is technically considered on the north, more or less mid island if you ask me--that this storm is considered a bust.   The Friday night storm was a nice surprise to the upside but late as 10 pm last night the forecasts were saying 5-8 inches.  I think most people would consider this to be a bust---schools were delayed, NYC schools closed--all for about 3 inches here.  Not arguing, just an opinion

1 minute ago, 495weatherguy said:

I think that for me--In Melville--which is technically considered on the north, more or less mid island if you ask me--that this storm is considered a bust.   The Friday night storm was a nice surprise to the upside but late as 10 pm last night the forecasts were saying 5-8 inches.  I think most people would consider this to be a bust---schools were delayed, NYC schools closed--all for about 3 inches here.  Not arguing, just an opinion

Right, but this is a weather forum, not a road conditions forum. Claiming bust (not you, i mean some of the posts last night) because road conditions either never got bad or rapidly improved because its 33 degrees has no bearing on whether the storm “busted”. 

15 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Right, but this is a weather forum, not a road conditions forum. Claiming bust (not you, i mean some of the posts last night) because road conditions either never got bad or rapidly improved because its 33 degrees has no bearing on whether the storm “busted”. 

To add to that...people here who should know better, keep using the model 10:1 maps to justify the bust calls, while also claiming their knowledge of the local areas made it obvious those totals wouldnt happen. You dont get to have it both ways (unless youre here to be a contrarian troll, and we all know they exist), many model products including yesterdays NAM and to a lesser extent gfs both did pretty well with accumulated snow depth descriptions 

• Like 1