Jump to content
Baroclinic Zone

2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Recommended Posts

One good thing about where tech has gone is that working remote is totally productive.  Some work you can't do off site but in my field and many others it isn't where you work it's how you work and if I find somebody that is good I don't care where they are.  Hopefully you can cast a very wide net.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Best wishes Steve.  Its s hard cold world out there at times but what goes around comes around.  Smart, hardworking and honest  people like you adapt and do well with whatever challenges are presented.  I'm sure your next endeavor will be successful.  

Thanks bro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom12309 said:

One good thing about where tech has gone is that working remote is totally productive.  Some work you can't do off site but in my field and many others it isn't where you work it's how you work and if I find somebody that is good I don't care where they are.  Hopefully you can cast a very wide net.  

What is your field ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Pretty clear to see the have's and have nots on today GOES image

have.jpg

I know SNE has struggled, but ALB has been screwed too, evident by that map. Every event they are either downsloping or its an elevation event and they are screwed that way too. Think they are round 10"-12" maybe?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tamarack said:

Early next month it will be 2 years since we got our rescue dog thru New England Lab rescue - she's a yellow Lab mix, looks like pics of a "Dudley Lab."  When she arrived, she was extremely scrawny and would flinch badly if one moved one's hand near her head - obviously had been struck repeatedly in her first life.   Now the flinch is gone, she's a goofy and very affectionate (and a bit chubby) friend, but one thing hasn't changed - a morbid fear of getting into the car.  We have to lift her 50 lb in, and once there she quivers and salivates.  Last winter, when I re-inventoried our woodlot, I'd hoist her into the pickup cab, drive 200 yards, and then she and I would have several hours in the woods, which she loves.  I hoped that might get her to associate motor vehicles with fun times, as compared to whatever horrible experiences caused the fear.  Has not worked at all. - still has PTSD for cars.   :(

If she could talk I wonder what she'd tell you :(  But her actions speak louder than any words could.  She's lucky to have you now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thanks man I am reassessing and applying to a lot of jobs that fit very well with my experience.  I have options for now but not confident folks will hire someone my age.

If they know what's good for them they will, people like you are like a fine wine, they only get better with age!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mainframe sysprog is the field but pretty much any architecture is lights out these days.  One call I'm in Schenectady, network tech in Nashville, Linux guy is in Argyle NY, app guy's in California, machines in Ohio and Illinois.

And yes, ALB gets screwed every which way.  Coastals miss wide right, clippers are north and cutters are direct hits.  Marginal air mass or warm south flow and the Hudson Valley does its dirty work.  

A couple glorious years we had storm after storm tracking from the direction of Binghamton right through here and it snowed well but that stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

Mainframe sysprog is the field but pretty much any architecture is lights out these days.  One call I'm in Schenectady, network tech in Nashville, Linux guy is in Argyle NY, app guy's in California, machines in Ohio and Illinois.

And yes, ALB gets screwed every which way.  Coastals miss wide right, clippers are north and cutters are direct hits.  Marginal air mass or warm south flow and the Hudson Valley does its dirty work.  

A couple glorious years we had storm after storm tracking from the direction of Binghamton right through here and it snowed well but that stopped.

Lol about Alb .

It makes sense for IT guys to work from home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thanks man I am reassessing and applying to a lot of jobs that fit very well with my experience.  I have options for now but not confident folks will hire someone my age.

I would try as hard as possible to not focus on the age thing. Make your look and attitude as young as possible. Act energetic and ambitious. I too have been dealing with a pile of sht. Got my hours cut for the winter after saving my employers butt during the fall. Then 2 days later broke my collar bone. Your a smart guy and will be fine. Just remember it’s not your fault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I would try as hard as possible to not focus on the age thing. Make your look and attitude as young as possible. Act energetic and ambitious. I too have been dealing with a pile of sht. Got my hours cut for the winter after saving my employers butt during the fall. Then 2 days later broke my collar bone. Your a smart guy and will be fine. Just remember it’s not your fault. 

Got the age thing down pat just cant fix ugly. 

Sorry about what's been happening to you. Hope you heal well and you recover your hours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 10:53 AM, tamarack said:

Early next month it will be 2 years since we got our rescue dog thru New England Lab rescue - she's a yellow Lab mix, looks like pics of a "Dudley Lab."  When she arrived, she was extremely scrawny and would flinch badly if one moved one's hand near her head - obviously had been struck repeatedly in her first life.   Now the flinch is gone, she's a goofy and very affectionate (and a bit chubby) friend, but one thing hasn't changed - a morbid fear of getting into the car.  We have to lift her 50 lb in, and once there she quivers and salivates.  Last winter, when I re-inventoried our woodlot, I'd hoist her into the pickup cab, drive 200 yards, and then she and I would have several hours in the woods, which she loves.  I hoped that might get her to associate motor vehicles with fun times, as compared to whatever horrible experiences caused the fear.  Has not worked at all. - still has PTSD for cars.   :(

Thank you for rescuing. Have you tried the putting a couple of blocks of pavers next to the truck ,give her a big treat when she steps on and off then keep doing that then put one on the car seat, takes a while.  Do it with a leash so she feels you. Good luck. We have a pit lab mix that was thrown out of a moving car with 3 puppies,  she was injured and all the puppies died. She hates the car and throws up on occasion but its less and less as we train her. She by the way is the most docile dog we have

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×