Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2018

George BM

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah. I mean it’s pretty shameful we need storm mode to keep people focused, but it is what it is.

nah. the mods all got together and planned to go into storm mode, just so we can flex some powers and delete things. 

• Like 2

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

To be clear I’m not criticizing the mods, the job is a tough balancing act and you have to make a call. It’s just a bit disappointing to see so many bad posts from rookies and vets alike.

Someone did make a good post earlier though—there was no preseason to acclimate people to what the collective expectations are. Downside to a historic early snow event.

We kinda let the first event fly with no effort to rein things in due to it being an early event out of the norm.  So let people have fun because it was unusual and enjoyable.  I think that got people thinking that it was ok to do that again despite hitting met winter when legit snows were on the table.

So now the scolding seems harsher for some because they wanted to be allowed to play all season long.

• Like 1

I know it's because we have nothing else better to do but dang...kill this thing already. As much as we want to say the models are shifting and jumping...they really haven't. Draw a circle from Richmond over to Roanoke down through maybe Charlotte and up through Raleigh. Has been the qpf bullseye for about a week now. Wet or White is the only open question in my head for them. For my house...I personally don't think it makes it here but I will continue to watch

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, H2O said:

We kinda let the first event fly with no effort to rein things in due to it being an early event out of the norm.  So let people have fun because it was unusual and enjoyable.  I think that got people thinking that it was ok to do that again despite hitting met winter when legit snows were on the table.

So now the scolding seems harsher for some because they wanted to be allowed to play all season long.

I know for me personally...my objection to the storm mode came from what we're, well...NOT seeing on most of the models

• Like 1

Anyone think the 12z Euro has this thing nailed? It still may miss south, but it ain't gonna go down quite like that. 

I expect come incremental, maybe meaningful, changes over the next few model cycles. Still some uncertainty with the NS shortwave(s) coming in off the PAC and the degree of interaction with the ss shortwave, and that is key to how this system evolves.

• Like 1

I don't understand how some think OPs are locked in 4-5 days out.  While people always point to January 2016 as being "locked in" and not shifting, forget that for many model runs, it appeared NJ/NYC was on the outside, looking in.  When all was said and done, NYC ended up with more snow than DC.  Obviously different setups and different reasons for the "north shift" but I'm not sure why people assume this is the final solution.  Obviously, mountains of NC and SW VA are certainly favored for seeing the highest impacts but NVA/DC/Central MD are certainly not out of the game at this point.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Anyone think the 12z Euro has this thing nailed? It still may miss south, but it ain't gonna go down quite like that. 

I expect come incremental, maybe meaningful, changes over the next few model cycles. Still some uncertainty with the NS shortwave(s) coming in off the PAC and the degree of interaction with the ss shortwave, and that is key to how this system evolves.

Maybe meaningful is not meaningful enough when we need bigger trends around here. I don't think I can play the "inches north" game with this one...For me, it's either seeing something different with the shortwave, or nothing at all

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic