Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

2 hours ago, Zach’s Pop said:

It’s based on very bright minds like Tom ( isotherm ) and HM and others. They simply don’t just rip and read eps like some do. Tom’s thoughts are on this forum. You are free to read then. 

I haven't but seen anything that says definitely less than 6 days instead of 10-14. Your free to paste it here though. Maybe I missed it. I definitely don't see it on the hemispheric pattern either but I'll admit I'm not expert on long range. 

IMO, the widely-modeled forecast development of an EPO+ would probably take 2 weeks or so to break down if past experience with the development of such patterns is representative. In 2002, it took about 4 weeks for the EPO+ to give way to a predominantly EPO- for the remainder of the winter. Right now, it doesn't look like an excessively warm pattern, but it will be milder than the pattern it succeeds. There may also be some snowfall prospects if the timing is right, but the first half of December excluding the mild 12/1-3 period will probably feature the coldest anomalies relative to normal overall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

IMO, the widely-modeled forecast development of an EPO+ would probably take 2 weeks or so to break down if past experience with the development of such patterns is representative. In 2002, it took about 4 weeks for the EPO+ to give way to a predominantly EPO- for the remainder of the winter. Right now, it doesn't look like an excessively warm pattern, but it will be milder than the pattern it succeeds. There may also be some snowfall prospects if the timing is right, but the first half of December excluding the mild 12/1-3 period will probably feature the coldest anomalies relative to normal overall.

Good post Don. Using 2002 also shows that things don't have to be doom and gloom for winter lovers ala December 2015 or 2006....despite the positive EPO, we did see some wintry events in New England (and even further south) during that period. We had 12/11, 12/15, and of course the 12/25 system. Even the 1/3/03 system was still during the +EPO regime. We got some east based blocking help for the Xmas storm and some Hudson Bay weakness for the early January storm. But those were enough to make the storms snowier...at least inland. 

I'll add that the temp averaged above normal during that longish period but it wasn't excessive clearly. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Bingo. Nice post. As Will added, we can still get chances for snow as long as it’s not a brutal +EPO, but they usually have some residence time.  It’s also climo to get these looks. So there is really no reason at all to fear a ratter based on this look. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Good post Don. Using 2002 also shows that things don't have to be doom and gloom for winter lovers ala December 2015 or 2006....despite the positive EPO, we did see some wintry events in New England (and even further south) during that period. We had 12/11, 12/15, and of course the 12/25 system. Even the 1/3/03 system was still during the +EPO regime. We got some east based blocking help for the Xmas storm and some Hudson Bay weakness for the early January storm. But those were enough to make the storms snowier...at least inland. 

I'll add that the temp averaged above normal during that longish period but it wasn't excessive clearly. 

2002-03 was a very good winter, even during the EPO+ period. I am continuing to look forward to what lies ahead.