Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November discussion

weathafella

11 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Bears out my memory of skiing glue. There was also almost no snowmaking base due to the warm November. Wasn't 1998 and El Nino year? That winter was very warm.

A year earlier was el nino.   1998-99 was a big nina.  1997-98  was a super nino with a cold fall including good snows in November and December before the extreme nino overwhelmed the pattern.

52 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I believe the snowpack from this weekend's storm and next Tuesday's storm system will lay down a foundation for a much colder airmass to support the third storm coming up the East Coast.

Holy Sh*t  James....really???  By the time the time frame you're talking about is here, there probably won't even be a Third Storm.    Pump the brakes pal...you're gonna overload.  No snow for most of SNE for a while...especially so for the outer Cape!

48 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

It looks like the third storm is a potential miller B, clipper to a redeveloper, ensemble members aren't in total agreement, but that is reasonable this far out.

Do you honestly think the pattern looks like one that is going to deliver an early start to winter for SNE? Meaning an early start that lasts for awhile.

Even if we do get snow in the mtn's Friday and next week, I'm not sure it survives the warm-up Thanksgiving week. James, I don't know how you do it living on the outer Cape. That's literally the warmest/wettest place to be (barring ACK). More often than not (seems like way more often than not) you're dealing with rain and sloppy mess, especially this time of year with ocean temps in the low-mid 50's.

Seems like Euro suffering from its “bury shortwaves in the SW” bias, given nature of this setup and big differences at H5 b/w it and the GFS early on. Either way longwave pattern does not look conducive to a wintry event for 90% of us. In terms of personal preferences, I’m excited for a big storm (rain or snow), which I still think is on the table...

Things very few on here care about, but the meso-models are surprisingly cold tomorrow evening for the Adirondacks, Greens, Whites, etc.  RGEM and NAM even want to snow into the NNE valleys for a good burst of QPF on the front end.  850s are surprisingly cold too.

If something like the NAM/WRF/RGEM panned out, could be more interesting than it seemed a day or two ago.

Need to see soundings as I suspect there's some marginal layer just above 850mb but it's got SFC temps of 33F widespread with this look. 

5msxqXx.png

EHDVKRU.png

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, I'm not into low's going up the St Lawrence.

Not gonna lie, I'm scared that this new test GFS is going to take over for the old one.  

The test GFS has been by far the snowiest model for the past 3 days of model runs.  I'm not sure what the algorithm is but for three straight days, 4 runs a day, it has had next week's storm have a jackpot of 20+ inches.  

Some runs have even been over 30".  If this is what the GFS becomes, it's going to be a sh*tshow when every event is on crystal meth:

IMG_1092.thumb.PNG.31da6eeb8c81e7bae7e83b43d63e810a.PNG

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not gonna lie, I'm scared that this new test GFS is going to take over for the old one.  

The test GFS has been by far the snowiest model for the past 3 days of model runs.  I'm not sure what the algorithm is but for three straight days, 4 runs a day, it has had next week's storm have a jackpot of 20+ inches.  

Some runs have even been over 30".  If this is what the GFS becomes, it's going to be a sh*tshow when every event is on crystal meth:

IMG_1092.thumb.PNG.31da6eeb8c81e7bae7e83b43d63e810a.PNG

I would eat my keyboard if i saw those totals, I think he was talking about the Black Friday storm after TG though.

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Things very few on here care about, but the meso-models are surprisingly cold tomorrow evening for the Adirondacks, Greens, Whites, etc.  RGEM and NAM even want to snow into the NNE valleys for a good burst of QPF on the front end.  850s are surprisingly cold too.

If something like the NAM/WRF/RGEM panned out, could be more interesting than it seemed a day or two ago.

Need to see soundings as I suspect there's some marginal layer just above 850mb but it's got SFC temps of 33F widespread with this look. 

NAM had a warm layer up around 700mb which NWS discussion mentioned, but it appears that warm layer is less of a factor. Northern mtn areas look to be mostly snow/frozen now compared to earlier. I know the GFS has been pretty consistent with my area sounding which has been snowing snow down to at least 2000', and if it's coming down hard, I think it will be snowing in the valley's too.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Ahhh the Jimmy James storm lol.  Whoosh missed that.

Still though, That panoramic GFS is messed up, But there is a disclaimer about using it on SV , It goes back to Aptil of this year so i don't know if its reliability has changed yet

The new Finite Volume Cubed-Sphere (FV3) GFS is now running in pre-parallel mode and available in part on SV.  This means (a) infrequent updates, (b) no delivery time reliability, and (c) not all files are yet available.  We are posting the available max res data now. Please note that until the 30-day evaluation period (not yet scheduled), this will not be a reliable data feed from NOAA.  They still do not have certain resolution levels needed for composite and many national maps yet.