Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Florence: STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

3 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

It sure does. It’s dead center of the 50” contour and there’s nothing higher after that so I guess that’s as high as the product will show in terms of the contours but that’s def 93”. There’s no way that can happen, can it?

It has 30 straight hours of 1.5" per hour or higher rates.  I can't imagine that can happen...

I’m not buying the idea of shear impeding the system. Outflow channels look absolutely perfect (something that moderate shear would make look much less good). The whole system, as well as the eye, has had a bizarre look to it most of the day. Likewise, looks like we have quite a bit of new development on the outer portion of the western semi-circle of the CDO.

The latest recon pass has about 106 kt at the surface and 112 kt at flight level. Pressure still about 945 as far as I can tell. So the pressure is still close to what it was yesterday, no drastic changes into the 950s or 960s. The previous recon pass had about 130kt at flight level. So I think they can still argue that the surface winds may be that borderline 113 kt category 4, based off the previous recon pass about 1-2 hours ago. I'm not sure what the flight level to surface standard reduction is, maybe 90%. As far as the IR satellite is concerned, it does look a little bit lopsided, but not too crazy. The extremely cold cloud tops still wrap around the wide eye, with a fair number of miles of -60C cloud tops. So the IR satellite techniques, I'm sure, are still up there. (I haven't personally checked the Dvorak technique here, but probably category 4).

• Like 2

Well, clearly the NHC is going to have to address this scenario at the 5 am update. This is two straight Euro and GFS runs that make landfall hundreds and hundreds of miles away from what is currently projected.  So tricky though —have to communicate carefully to NC coastal areas that this will be close enough to be devastating even if landfall doesn’t actually occur. This will test NHC’s dexterity. Standard forecast tracks really won’t cut it with this storm.  

Another pretty crazy Euro run with the center meandering 5-10 miles offshore, while the NE quad scours the coast from Jacksonville to Wilmington and then beyond. Storm a little weaker on its SW drift compared to yesterday, probably reasonable given upwelling. Free/sharable ECMWF via https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/785-w-343-n/gusts-3h-mph/20180914-2100z.html 

us_model-en-153-0_modez_2018091200_69_24186_379.png

us_model-en-153-0_modez_2018091200_69_24186_149.png

us_model-en-153-0_modez_2018091200_69_24186_241.png

us_model-en-153-0_modez_2018091200_69_24186_397.png

ecmwf_florence (29).png

9 minutes ago, forecasterjack said:

Another pretty crazy Euro run with the center meandering 5-10 miles offshore, while the NE quad scours the coast from Jacksonville to Wilmington and then beyond. Storm a little weaker on its SW drift compared to yesterday, probably reasonable given upwelling. Free/sharable ECMWF via https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/785-w-343-n/gusts-3h-mph/20180914-2100z.html 

ecmwf_florence (29).png

That is one Crazy run Rakes NC all around.. but then the 46" Total QPF Map on the Earlier page matches up with it..

I'm just shaking my head..