Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow bomb obs March 21

Damage In Tolland

3 minutes ago, henry1978 said:

Robin Williams lived an amazing life.  he didn't want to live life as an invalid which was his fate since he was suffering from lewy body dementia.  

He did have an amazing life and he was an amazing talent. But he was also going broke after paying $30 million in alimony to his ex-wives and was condemned to work forever to keep them on the dole. He said he was forced to take roles he didn't want to do to make sure he could cover his obligations.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Hoth said:

He did have an amazing life and he was an amazing talent. But he was also going broke after paying $30 million in alimony to his ex-wives and was condemned to work forever to keep them on the dole. He said he was forced to take roles he didn't want to do to make sure he could cover his obligations.

Tragic end to such a great career and life.  He was probably too sick to do stand up.  He didn't need to do movies.  Had he been healthy he could've made 20 million a year doing stand up alone.  He didn't perform often, unlike guys like Seinfeld and leno who tour constantly, but when robin Williams did perform he was always a huge hit.

2 hours ago, henry1978 said:

Diane, our buddy Brett is a young white male and he is having a difficult time finding a job.  In some respects and some sectors of our economy there are more opportunities for females and minorities compared to white males.  Many companies employ age, veteran, race and gender based affirmative action.  White males sometimes are casualties with these kinds of hiring practices.  Some of these rules are written, and unwritten.

Granted, there aren't as many opportunities for women in weather forecasting but women are kicking major azz in so many facets of American life.  Barbara Walters became co anchor of the abc evening news in 1976.  She failed miserably and was kicked out of the anchor chair by 1978.  Connie chung failed miserably when paired with dan rather from 1993-1995.  Rather had her thrown out of the anchor chair.  Katie Couric failed miserably when replacing dan rather in 2006.  Diane sawyer underachieved in the anchor chair and lost to brian Williams at nbc. The dirty little secret was that women didn't watch women deliver the news nationally and, that women didn't vote for women.

Thing are changing in a big way.  Cable news is now more influential than broadcast network news.  Rachel Maddow is kicking butt and is tied with sean Hannity in overall viewers and is number one in the advertiser coveted younger demo.  And come November on election night we will have more women serving in congress than at any time in our nation's history.  So, women in America are doing very, very well.  November 8th 2016 was a big wake up call in this country for women.

Just to be clear, im not whining or complaining at all. Simply voicing the reality I have faced to this point, and mentioning a possible move to possibly boost my chances.

I knew it would be difficult for me. I don’t stand out as a candidate at all. I have no military service, I have the normal extra curricular activities, etc. I graduated in the top 15% of my class, but that really doesn’t matter, and isn’t really a marketable aspect to people.

5 hours ago, henry1978 said:

I'm not even sure if grafacentsle systems in tlikplaying/ Taunton/Middleboro are as ca rry the Providence channels anymore.  When I was a kid the Providence stations used to reference Ginx's area in NE CT and t hese towns in interior SE MA north of Fall River up to Raynham.  It's officially known as the Providence/New Bedford market but this was designated many, many years ago before the south coast of Massachusetts hit ****z creek economically.  Channel 6 in its early days used to be headquartered in New Bedford.  During the 80s the Providence stations used to have Massachusetts bureaus.  The last fifteen years or so the Providence stations have spent less time discussing SE MA so I'm guessing once you get too far beyond Attleboro you only get boston stations.  If you live in interior SE MA and have cable and get Providence stations please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Providence stations still cover Fall River and new Bedford but not all that much.  Advertisers want to run spots for wealthier viewers and the wealthiest part of the PVD tv market is in eastern Rhode Island along both sides of the bay up into the city of PVD and ending near where Cory lives in ne RI.

When I was a child in rhode island Providence didn't have an independent station so I used to watch all the independent boston stations like 25, 38 and 56 even though they were fuzzy, in order to watch the brady bunch and the family feud during the day instead of soap operas on the PVD network affiliates.  I fell in love with weather in 1983, pre cable, and started watching the boston channels for the weather and sports.  Channel 5 came in really bad, but 4 and 7 were decent enough. I was six watching six channels a night during the winter and we had a few big snowstorms during this time frame. I would turn the knob furiously on the old console tv and would usually be able to watch of at least five forecasts.  My family used to scream at me telling me not to watch the boston stations.  

We got cable in 1985 clear as a bell and for the first time in my life was able to clearly see what dick albert, Harvey leonard and bruce schwoegler looked like. The Celtics moved from channel 4 to 56 that year and 56 had a weak signal, so with cable I could see all the road games clear as a bell.  The next season we ordered sportschannel so I was able to see every Celtics game from 1986 on.  In 1990 our cable system took many boston stations away from us and Rhode Island permanently lost channel 5, 25, and 4.  They kept channel 7, 56, and 38.  In the mid 90s we lost channel 7, but gained channel 4.  By the turn of the century cox cable permanently removed all boston channels from rhode island cable systems.  But 35 years later I have distinct, albeit a bit fuzzy, memories of the big three boston weather guys.  I used to talk about albert's almanac in fifth grade and none of the kids had any idea what I was talking about in RI.

How many years was Elliot Abrams on Wbz radio doing the weather?. Seemed Like forever.

I recall listening to him every ten minutes at my grandparents (On some weekends) house bc they always had the radio on in the kitchen. He had a very distinct voice. I recall him always referencing 128 and outside 495 for rain/snow lines. 

When my friends used to visit me i would always have that weather channel music Playing on the tv for like an hr. They got used to the Fact i wasn't changing it. 

What a breakthru It was finding this website somehow when i moved back to mass from a decade in Florida. This site, and in particular this subforum and the posters are such a awesome part of my day when there is a storm. For the Comradare And the info. 

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just to be clear, im not whining or complaining at all. Simply voicing the reality I have faced to this point, and mentioning a possible move to possibly boost my chances.

I knew it would be difficult for me. I don’t stand out as a candidate at all. I have no military service, I have the normal extra curricular activities, etc. I graduated in the top 15% of my class, but that really doesn’t matter, and isn’t really a marketable aspect to people.

Perhaps you've mentioned it, but I apologize for not remembering what job market you are in. The struggle sucks, for lack of a better word. If you are willing to invest the money and effort to move, before you do that, why don't you invest some money into a professional resume writing service? The job market is different now. When the middle class was thriving, young adults could enter the job market and be better off than their parents. That is not the case anymore, and if you keep trying to play by the old rules, you will lose.

Even if you do move, also invest the money in a professional resume service. 

I hate to think about the fact that I'm paying loans for a degree I don't use, but so many of us are in the same boat. The reality is you most likely will find a job not related to your degree, so think outside the box. What kind of things do you enjoy that you could see yourself doing even if it is something you never gave any serious thought to?

And then there is this, many people use their employment as a means to an end. They have a job, not because they like it, but because it supports their lifestyle and their ultimate life goals. Many people take job in order to support their goal of having a house, getting married, raising kids, being a soccer dad or a soccer mom..etc...but it doesn't mean they are satisfied with the job or like their job. But in the long run, it gets you to where you want to be. I wish you the best. 

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

Perhaps you've mentioned it, but I apologize for not remembering what job market you are in. The struggle sucks, for lack of a better word. If you are willing to invest the money and effort to move, before you do that, why don't you invest some money into a professional resume writing service? The job market is different now. When the middle class was thriving, young adults could enter the job market and be better off than their parents. That is not the case anymore, and if you keep trying to play by the old rules, you will lose.

Even if you do move, also invest the money in a professional resume service. 

I hate to think about the fact that I'm paying loans for a degree I don't use, but so many of us are in the same boat. The reality is you most likely will find a job not related to your degree, so think outside the box. What kind of things do you enjoy that you could see yourself doing even if it is something you never gave any serious thought to?

And then there is this, many people use their employment as a means to an end. They have a job, not because they like it, but because it supports their lifestyle and their ultimate life goals. Many people take job in order to support their goal of having a house, getting married, raising kids, being a soccer dad or a soccer mom..etc...but it doesn't mean they are satisfied with the job or like their job. But in the long run, it gets you to where you want to be. I wish you the best. 

You need more man snow.

3 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Since I can't wish it to magically happen...i actually need to move.

I never really understood why people were so obsessed with living by the ocean. I want mountains and fresh water and a tiny house

I like the ocean and do just fine here. It's great in the summertime. The mtns have their charm too. 

I guess you can tell how this event turned out from the end of this thread. Off the rails indeed.

Disclaimer: I'm a pretty average white male.

My graduating class was small, but the brightest and the most accomplished from that group are women. Now I don't know if that's because they knew they would have to work harder than their male counterparts in the future, but that's how it turned out. I now work in the gov't where NOAA has pretty strong views on EEO. I have heard coworkers complain about how as white males they have been discriminated against because of those policies, that they need to have something special to be considered for the same position. I on the other hand feel like that is exactly what it is like for many women and minorities, every day for decades. If that means I have to work a little harder to get on a panel, maybe we're all better off for it? 

My wife and I aren't having a girl, but if we were I know my wife isn't one to take crap from anyone and I love STEM. I would hope that any daughter of ours would not have to deal with a lack of opportunities in STEM, and frankly that it wouldn't stop her from trying even if that were the case.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Fun fact: most wives are the boss.

My wife is also now a better skier than I am.  Her improvement this year has been like 200% while I might even be regressing. 

She is tougher than I am and has faced really daunting adversity that I wouldn’t wish on anyone      I’m still a better cook though 

Strides are being made by leaps and bounds. 3 of my 5 Senior Vice Presidents are women.  My lead Mortgage Lending Officer is a woman.  3 of my 4 branch managers are women.  All high paying jobs (4 women making 6 figures 2 just below versus 3 men making 6 figures with 1 just below) and with great benefits. The Chairman of my Board of Directors is a woman.  I hire talent, not gender.

41 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’m an old white male.  Yet I sympathize with Diane and see it happening even in the most enlightened workplaces.   That said, I wish she would be more specific so we can use any offending post however unwittingly as a learning opportunity.

Fully agree.  I would like to hear Diane's personal journey about how she apparently was held back by the male gender, forced to work harder to get ahead, was harassed on the streets etc. Time to enlighten us please.  The generic accusations from whatever playbook you are reading from are tired.  If you have a story lets hear it.  

I can see many here are not as strident about this as I am.  I lived thru the women's movement in the 60's, went to mandatory workshops at my workplace to enlighten us on their issues.  This was a company of 50,000 at that time.  Little has changed in those 50+ years in my opinion except that I've come to believe that men and women are built a certain way and to try and put either in the others mold won't work.  Do you have valid concerns, probably.  Is attacking all the male gender going to advance your 'cause'.  Probably not.  Want to get our attention, give us something to chew on, feel bad about.  99% of the time the dumb things we say or do we don't realize it's impact. It isn't an excuse, just reality. Females, in MY experience are much more sensitive to those things.  Males in MY experience tend to brush them off and move on.  I still hear about things from my wife that happened years ago.  I can't imagine how heavy that load must be to carry all these years.  

Diane, your silence on the specifics hurts your initial post.  I am still curious to understand what post in this thread set you off?  Within that post what was it that got you upset with the male gender?  After your general attacks I think the male gender deserves that much.  Don't leave us hanging...

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I’m an old white male.  Yet I sympathize with Diane and see it happening even in the most enlightened workplaces.   That said, I wish she would be more specific so we can use any offending post however unwittingly as a learning opportunity.

I'm going to guess it might be comments like below. But I'm just spit balling.

33 minutes ago, ursa99 said:

Fully agree.  I would like to hear Diane's personal journey about how she apparently was held back by the male gender, forced to work harder to get ahead, was harassed on the streets etc. Time to enlighten us please.  The generic accusations from whatever playbook you are reading from are tired.  If you have a story lets hear it.  

I can see many here are not as strident about this as I am.  I lived thru the women's movement in the 60's, went to mandatory workshops at my workplace to enlighten us on their issues.  This was a company of 50,000 at that time.  Little has changed in those 50+ years in my opinion except that I've come to believe that men and women are built a certain way and to try and put either in the others mold won't work.  Do you have valid concerns, probably.  Is attacking all the male gender going to advance your 'cause'.  Probably not.  Want to get our attention, give us something to chew on, feel bad about.  99% of the time the dumb things we say or do we don't realize it's impact. It isn't an excuse, just reality. Females, in MY experience are much more sensitive to those things.  Males in MY experience tend to brush them off and move on.  I still hear about things from my wife that happened years ago.  I can't imagine how heavy that load must be to carry all these years.  

Diane, your silence on the specifics hurts your initial post.  I am still curious to understand what post in this thread set you off?  Within that post what was it that got you upset with the male gender?  After your general attacks I think the male gender deserves that much.  Don't leave us hanging...

2 hours ago, Hambone said:

Strides are being made by leaps and bounds. 3 of my 5 Senior Vice Presidents are women.  My lead Mortgage Lending Officer is a woman.  3 of my 4 branch managers are women.  All high paying jobs (4 women making 6 figures 2 just below versus 3 men making 6 figures with 1 just below) and with great benefits. The Chairman of my Board of Directors is a woman.  I hire talent, not gender.

I support age, race, and gender based affirmative action in corporate and governmental hiring practices.  However, I agree with your approach and truth be told it is the best way to run a business.  I was a cable news producer at one of the big three networks.  The various interest groups used to complain their constituency was under represented.  The end result was often booking people on cable news who had absolutely no business being on television.  The viewers are not stupid, but sometimes going shopping at the diversity department store was the best way to quiet the interest groups and the rabble rousers.

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I like the ocean and do just fine here. It's great in the summertime. The mtns have their charm too. 

If I had my way it would be mountains in winter and ocean in summer.  

I love the ocean, it has such a powerful pull and there's something humbling about the vastness of it all.  

Just now, powderfreak said:

If I had my way it would be mountains in winter and ocean in summer.  

I love the ocean, it has such a powerful pull and there's something humbling about the vastness of it all.  

I mean to each his own. They all have their charm. I think when you don't have common access to a certain type of area (like mtns or ocean) they can be more appealing. I do find myself enjoying time in the mtns during summer and appreciate the majestic presence they tend to have.  One thing about New England is that we have all this in our backyard. Find me a place where you can get prolific snows for winter events, and water that is at a temp where one is able to swim during the summer. I can't think of one.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean to each his own. They all have their charm. I think when you don't have common access to a certain type of area (like mtns or ocean) they can be more appealing. I do find myself enjoying time in the mtns during summer and appreciate the majestic presence they tend to have.  One thing about New England is that we have all this in our backyard. Find me a place where you can get prolific snows for winter events, and water that is at a temp where one is able to swim during the summer. I can't think of one.

I typically think of myself as more of a beach guy. I could close my eyes to the sound of waves lapping on the beach just about anywhere. But I also love the serene, (mostly) solitude of having lunch on top of one of the Hundred Highest.

9 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Since I can't wish it to magically happen...i actually need to move.

I never really understood why people were so obsessed with living by the ocean. I want mountains and fresh water and a tiny house

I bet you'd like Lyndonville, VT.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I typically think of myself as more of a beach guy. I could close my eyes to the sound of waves lapping on the beach just about anywhere. But I also love the serene, (mostly) solitude of having lunch on top of one of the Hundred Highest.

Right. I was a beach bum in my early 20s. Coolers loaded with brews all summer long...lol. It was awesome.  But lately I do appreciate my time at Winni and the mtns nearby. 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right. I was a beach bum in my early 20s. Coolers loaded with brews all summer long...lol. It was awesome.  But lately I do appreciate my time at Winni and the mtns nearby. 

Lake life does not suck. You can kind of faux get the best of both worlds.

15 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Lake life does not suck. You can kind of faux get the best of both worlds.

Even small lakes.  The one closest (250') to the house where I grew up was only about 60 acres.  It was a 2,000' swim across it, which was my parents' qualifier test for solo boat privileges, and once I gained that, I spent more time fishing and gunking around than at the beach.  (And just as much time in the adjacent woods.)  Great place to be a free-range kid. 

And my serenity place is likely to be listening to the wind sighing thru tall pines, or the near-absolute silence of NW Maine at a calm midwinter twilight - only my mild tinnitus audible.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Even small lakes.  The one closest (250') to the house where I grew up was only about 60 acres.  It was a 2,000' swim across it, which was my parents' qualifier test for solo boat privileges, and once I gained that, I spent more time fishing and gunking around than at the beach.  (And just as much time in the adjacent woods.)  Great place to be a free-range kid. 

And my serenity place is likely to be listening to the wind sighing thru tall pines, or the near-absolute silence of NW Maine at a calm midwinter twilight - only my mild tinnitus audible.

Lol...my tinnitus is much more noticeable on snowy nights with no other sounds.  We’re old!

Archived