• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I wouldn’t go more than 3-6” for our area right now. Too much potential for this to amp too much and have much of it be rain like last March. Hopefully tonight and tomorrow 12z lock a nice event in for us. 

I hope you are correct----this has the potential to be a very damaging storm on the heels one

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Next person who posts the kma jma or australian without a gigantic "you are here" on KNYC is getting a 1 month almost solitary confinement. I say almost because the only thread youll be allowed to post in will only have you and snowman19 in it. 

IDY20000.mslp-thick.054.png

Been a while been a while..hopefully the models hold tight as we approach crunch time (new SREF looking great and a bit colder, I believe). I’ve decided to just browse the forums for the most part, and haven’t had much to contribute. Looking like 6-12” is very possible for most of us here! Enjoy the storm

Through 21 hours, a few changes to note on the 00z NAM at 500mb... slightly weaker ridging over the EC, slightly weaker ULL over NE Missouri, though there appears to be more energy on the western side giving it a more positive tilt look. A bit less interaction with the Canadian s/w though the placement is nearly identical

Through 30 at 500 mb.

-trough axis stretching from eastern AR into western KY. Ever so slightly more positively tilted. Would theoretically argue for more digging further south moving forward.

-slightly weaker ridging just off the EC. Looking over the past several runs, the 12z run appears to be a clear outlier with regards to how it handled that ridge, and thus was much to warm at the coast.

nearly identical to 18z otherwise

Just now, snow1 said:

This nam has more rain/snow for the coast

Initially, yes.

what happens is that the energy hangs back ever so slightly causing the whole thing to be slightly out of sync. The result is the storm gets going a bit later. The lighter rates early means less snow at the immediate coast, but it turns to heavy snow in the afternoon as the low really begins to get going.

overall a step back from the 18z, but it's still not a terrible outcome

1 minute ago, weatherbear5 said:

Initially, yes.

what happens is that the energy hangs back ever so slightly causing the whole thing to be slightly out of sync. The result is the storm gets going a bit later. The lighter rates early means less snow at the immediate coast, but it turns to heavy snow in the afternoon as the low really begins to get going.

overall a step back from the 18z, but it's still not a terrible outcome

It ends up not being all that different unless you're down by Philly on southwest

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived