SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 5-7 pos Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro verbatim has 4" for the CR area, given crummy ratios, probably 2.5" to 3". That's the most out of guidance, and I'm not really expecting more other than an inch of slush at best, but I think rates will be pretty good for awhile, and maybe even a shot at some thunder? Hi-res model guidance has been pretty aggressive when the switch to snow occurs modeling some pretty impressive rates which seem to have a convective nature(especially the HRRR). We shall see.

Interesting battle between weak low-level WAA and incoming height falls/lift.  Feel that the precip on radar is a little too showery to really bring down the colder air from aloft, and think the HRRR may be a bit overdone with the southward extend of the snow/mix line.  Any snow mixing in later on looks very fleeting at best for the I-80 corridor.  

Still getting very brief bursts of heavy sleet from time to time.  Doesn't last long enough to accumulate, but makes for a dramatic sounding downpour when it's combined with the 35mph wind gusts.  Up to 0.16" of measured precip for the day.  Probably another few tenths of sleet had it not bounced out of the gauge.

1 minute ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Very interesting weather over here.  We had good rain this morning.  This afternoon, we've had more rain, hail, heavy sleet, and now it's trying to change to snow.  In addition, we just had a crack of thunder.

Man you're killing it with the thunder lately.  Still haven't heard any hear since last fall, but hoping that changes here this afternoon.

Here in southeast Naperville, as that heavy shower came across had snow mixed with sleet coming down at a good clip with big flakes mixed in, then transitioned to more of a moderate graupel briefly before ending. Seems like we should have no problem getting a snow or a mix to snow when heavy stuff comes across later.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Transitioned over to graupel and sleet now.  I admit I didn't think the snow line would make it this far south with how showery the precip was earlier.  So far today we've had rain, freezing rain, sleet, hail, and now graupel.  Should add actual snow flakes to the mix shortly.

EDIT:  And now large snow flakes mixed in with the graupel and sleet.

34 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Looks like there's chances for additional snow showers/squalls tomorrow as the surface low passes overhead tomorrow based on CAMs. I love snow squalls, but not enough to move to MI or the lakes and put an axe in my beloved severe wx.

Yeah could look pretty intense at times.

Archived