Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Countdown to Winter 2018 -2019

eyewall

59 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yep Will brought up 1976-77 so I thought maybe I got the year wrong lol.

No you had the 100 hour storm year correct. When ray was originally responding to you saying 76-77 was dry, he countered that it was not dry in eastern New England and mentioned it had a lot of late bloomers like 68-69 did. I think that is where the confusion came from. But 76-77 was very active in eastern New England. It had a few smaller late blooming events (aside from the big one on 12/29/76) and also some redeveloping SWFE types where further south mostly got dryslotted or light rain...one such event absolutely crushed north of the pike in January '77. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That event dumped 43" at the Farmington co-op, boosting the pack to 84", tallest I've found for Maine.  41 years later, to the day, we missed a repeat by 5° or so, getting 9-10" of incredibly sloppy mashed potatoes out of 4" qpf.

Wow thanks, I saw this and Dryslot's post with the map right after and it does remind me a bit of the late Feb 2010 storm but displaced about 200 miles to the NE!

Except it sounds like the Feb 1969 was much more historic, the late Feb 2010 event lasted around 24 hours.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No you had the 100 hour storm year correct. When ray was originally responding to you saying 76-77 was dry, he countered that it was not dry in eastern New England and mentioned it had a lot of late bloomers like 68-69 did. I think that is where the confusion came from. But 76-77 was very active in eastern New England. It had a few smaller late blooming events (aside from the big one on 12/29/76) and also some redeveloping SWFE types where further south mostly got dryslotted or light rain...one such event absolutely crushed north of the pike in January '77. 

The snowcover must have lasted a long time with how cold it was from October-January.  That was an amazing stretch of weather that lasted a long time, and the sequel winter of 1977-78 was even better.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

The snowcover must have lasted a long time with how cold it was from October-January.  That was an amazing stretch of weather that lasted a long time, and the sequel winter of 1977-78 was even better.

Yeah it was a very good winter that often gets overshadowed by the following winter. 

Both of those late '70s ninos had very cold decembers. We will have to see if we can get back on the cold December Niño train this season. Last time we did it was dec 2009. Both December 2014 and 2015 were furnaces...2015 was the worst. It was  actually more like a slightly above average November. Thankfully though that was a super Niño and we don't have that. But I still worry about a dec '14 or dec '94 happening. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I just wonder if that storm happenned in today’s measuring climate, how high we’d go. 

I would say much higher, You have to figure the amount of compaction over that time period had to be fairly significant, Wouldn't mind seeing a similar storm today, Stalled in the GOM and did the fuji dance over the course of those 6 days.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Wow thanks, I saw this and Dryslot's post with the map right after and it does remind me a bit of the late Feb 2010 storm but displaced about 200 miles to the NE!

Except it sounds like the Feb 1969 was much more historic, the late Feb 2010 event lasted around 24 hours.

Late Feb 2010 was another 4-day storm here  Feb. 25-26 brought most of our snow while pasting S.VT and the Catskills.  Next 2 days brought mainly 33-34° RA/catpaws (on strong NE winds) while NYC got its 21" snowicane at low-mid 20s and the 'Skills got slammed again - some locations there got 4 ft.  (There was also a station in the WVA mts that got Catskill-level snow in that event, and also the 2 earlier KU storms, and recorded something like 159" for the month.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Late Feb 2010 was another 4-day storm here  Feb. 25-26 brought most of our snow while pasting S.VT and the Catskills.  Next 2 days brought mainly 33-34° RA/catpaws (on strong NE winds) while NYC got its 21" snowicane at low-mid 20s and the 'Skills got slammed again - some locations there got 4 ft.  (There was also a station in the WVA mts that got Catskill-level snow in that event, and also the 2 earlier KU storms, and recorded something like 159" for the month.)

That storm still gives me nightmares. Lots of rain here while heavy snow not too far away. 

Mmm... that just looks like the perennial base-line PNAP structure there.

Every year this happens ...some one sees height bulge west and a pancake into a shallow trough in the east, and they get excited, when that's the base-line hemispheric pattern that results from a laminar west vector over geographic features.