Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

This is the winter of n, s, e, w of the D.C. snow hole.

But in this case...something like this seems to have a somewhat better chance of breaking our way than the previous setup the models have been showing the past few days. So it's kinda like we may have two dice to roll this time instead of just one, lol (if it misses just south, I think that'll send a number of us off the ledge! If it's gonna miss l, I'd much rather it be because of a non-workable setup than because of something that could've worked just missing south!)

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

But in this case...something like this seems to have a somewhat better chance of breaking our way than the previous setup the models have been showing the past few days. So it's kinda like we may have two dice to roll this time instead of just one, lol (if it misses just south, I think that'll send a number of us off the ledge! If it's gonna miss l, I'd much rather it be because of a non-workable setup than because of something that could've eorked just missing south!)

I'd be surprised with something sliding south in the forecast range.

27 minutes ago, Amped said:

Only good sign I can get is by extrapolating the 384hr pattern.  The Negative height anomolies in the east Atlantic are retrograding towards the East Coast, possible decent pattern the first week in March if there's enough cold air.

I saw that too, that was cool to see. 

An outcome of the changes over the North Atlantic 

7 hours ago, Mdecoy said:

Other than the fluke, does March really deliver? Snowquester sticks in my mind where its like "Oh this looks like a great storm" and it was rain. The pattern seems to be looking more favorable (as it has numerous times this year in the LR), but I think even perfect patterns in March have a tough time delivering anything? We can talk negative NAOs and and good looks all we want, but I don't think odds are that great even in "good patterns".

I think odds at this point highly favor essentially a shutout for the rest of the winter and a historically bad 2 year period for DC.

It depends what you consider "deliver" and it depends where in our "area" you live.  If we define that as "warning" criteria snowfall and we round 4.5" up since warning is loosely applied usually and an "average" across a county not one specific location...here are the actual facts for several locations across our area.  

Since 1940 at BWI, DCA

BWI: 23% of the time had a warning event, 3 years with 2 warning events... one with 3 warning events... Max storm snowfall of 14"

DCA: 16% of the time had a warning event, 1 year with 2 warning events.  Max storm of 11.5"

Since 1960 when records began 

IAD: 25% of the time had a warning event after March 1. 17 warning events over 57 years.   3 years with 2 warning events.  Max storm of 14.1"

since 1940 here...

Northeast Carroll County: 40% of the time had a warning event,  6 times with 2 warning events, Max snow event of 32"

So even at DCA there is a better than 10% chance of getting a warning snow after March 1.  So its not "CRAZY" even there.  But as you move NW of the fall line in our area the chances increase dramatically to about 1 in 4 at Dulles to about 40% in the higher terrain in the western and northern 1/3 of our region.  For those of us that live NW of the fall line March is definitely NOT a throw away month.  Actually I average about as much snow in March and any other month really.  If you live south and east of the cities or in the urban heat island then March is a much worse proposition... so you have to determine this based on your location. 

Keep in mind some people in here have different snow climo then others.  I used to live in Southern NJ southeast of Philly and it SUCKED there.  It was much worse then northern VA near IAD where I moved to in high school.  As a kid I remember going multiple years in a row without a warning level snow.  Then once I was in northern VA usually I would beat my old location 80 percent of the time.  But when I lived in South Jersey I didn't expect snow.  It was some rare thing to be treasured...I never went into any season expecting to get much snow at all.  If it happened I was so happy but I just kind of expected us to not get it based on what normally happened there.  That is why I kind of get confused when I see people that live somewhere that gets barely any snow most of the time, and only typically gets one warning level snow every 2 years, going crazy and carrying on when it doesn't snow.  I hate to say it but not snowing in places that only average 16 or 18" of snow a year is kind of normal.  Especially when a big chunk of that 16" average comes from a couple huge anomaly years every decade.  I still feel for those people.  I understand wanting it to snow.  And I lived in a place like that once...but I moved because it didn't snow enough for me to be happy there.  Frankly in seasons like this it still doesn't snow enough here for me to be happy but I am an adult about it and just suck it up and move on with my life.  But at least here I am happy about 60% of the winters vs 20 percent of the winters.  I feel like some people are setting themselves up to be unhappy all the time expecting snow in a place that just isn't going to get it that often.  I really hope no one takes this the wrong way... but if you NEED snow to be happy... and you know where you live its only going to get enough snow 2/10 years....maybe instead of being this miserable 80 percent of the time you should move somewhere that gets more snow.  Life is too short...you only get one go... why be miserable.  And if it doesn't really bother you that much...then stop carrying on like it does.  

PS:  this is not directed all at you MDECOY but more of a public service announcement towards everyone that seems so bent out of shape over snow the last couple years...I really am worried about some of you.  If it bothers you this much... consider if its worth being this frustrated so often every winter.  

Today was a win on guidance... 

First...all disclaimers apply, its 15 days away, low confidence, blah blah blah...yes I know

That said all the long range guidance took a significant step in the direction we want today.  We are going to be fighting a pretty ugly SE ridge and its not going to just instantly flip to a snowy regime.  But from where all the guidance shows us day 15 it should get there.  Now that is depending on the 15 day progs to be correct so laugh at it if you want I can't blame you for that...but its a better place to be in that needing to hope the guidance is all wrong AND it evolves in a good way.  From that look day 15 we should get some opportunities after that.  I would guess by day 20 there would be enough trough in the east to keep a system under us.  Light at the end of the tunnel.  Its probably a train coming but you never know.  

47 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I can work with that euro look

Yeah it made a nice step in the right direction. 12z GEFS looks really close to a nice h5 pattern just beyond day 15. I also like that the CFS has the same general look the global ensembles have at day 15, and week 3 it evolves to a really decent workable pattern, and gets better week 4...Nino-ish look with a perfectly placed west-based block. It has been consistent for a while now with that progression.

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah it made a nice step in the right direction. 12z GEFS looks really close to a nice h5 pattern just beyond day 15. I also like that the CFS has the same general look the global ensembles have at day 15, and week 3 it evolves to a really decent workable pattern, and gets better week 4...Nino-ish look with a perfectly placed west-based block. It has been consistent for a while now with that progression.

Yea from where the ensembles leave off we would progress into a pretty good pattern. It's not crazy. 1956,1965,1976,1984,1999 and 2009 are all La Niña years where we got some good snow in march after a generally sucky winter. Almost pulled it off last year too. Not sure where the notion that ninas end early and bad came from but for my money a high percentage of ninas that are crappy overall go out with a bang.

9 hours ago, Chris78 said:

There are about 12 or 13 EPS members that get snow into the area next weekend. Some are focused for the norther parts of the forum and some are more for south of dc. Not a majority for by any means but as @showmethesnow has been saying I wouldn' t totally write next weekend off yet.

I counted 18 or 19 members from the 12z eps that get snow into part of the  forum  or  all of the forum. Some focused  north and some south. Nice increase of members over the 0z run.  There are a few big hits in there.

I counted 18 or 19 members from the 12z eps that get snow into part of the  forum  or  all of the forum. Some focused  north and some south. Nice increase of members over the 0z run.  There are a few big hits in there.

I wish the op models would play ball for once

3 minutes ago, Ji said:
8 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I wish the op models would play ball for once

Imagine you are referring to 18z.  The GFS looks quite steady from previous runs.  Cold front pressing slowly south.  Then follow up wave that could get Hampton Roads yet again.  Groundhog Day. 

3 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Imagine you are referring to 18z.  The GFS looks quite steady from previous runs.  Cold front pressing slowly south.  Then follow up wave that could get Hampton Roads yet again.  Groundhog Day. 

Every event lately has trended north inside of 72 hours.  The ice storm last Wednesday was looking like a nice thump of snow for the northern areas that trended north.  

Hopefully we see the same with this one but with our luck this one probably bucks the trend..lol

Every event lately has trended north inside of 72 hours.  The ice storm last Wednesday was looking like a nice thump of snow for the northern areas that trended north.  
Hopefully we see the same with this one but with our luck this one probably bucks the trend..lol
They only trend North when we need a south trend

Archived