• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8th-11th Overrunning Event

Snowstorms

Just a question, and I cant find the answer in all the posts, but as of now, given that partial and full sampling can't be done, how far into SE MI do the "higher" totals go?  I am just north of I-69 about 70 miles north of DTX.  Not asking for any totals at all, mind you, but between this formula and what I am reading in NOAA, they say 3".  Just wondering what ya'll's takes are, if you can.  

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, DAWGNKITTEN said:

Just a question, and I cant find the answer in all the posts, but as of now, given that partial and full sampling can't be done, how far into SE MI do the "higher" totals go?  I am just north of I-69 about 70 miles north of DTX.  Not asking for any totals at all, mind you, but between this formula and what I am reading in NOAA, they say 3".  Just wondering what ya'll's takes are, if you can.  

At this point, the bottom 2 or 3 tiers of counties is where you want to be in Michigan.

14 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Euro comes in south of 00z, though continues to be lower on the qpf than the rest of guidance.

Same location through MI, but yes it is on the lower end of the scale with QPF, still a decent/good hit but not on the level of other models.

Never have been optimistic locally for this...someone will surely hit double digits, it's a very intriguing and prolonged setup.  Locally, the UKMET has 1" of QPF for Cleveland and the other models have 6"+ only 50 miles to the north, so it's still within the margin of error...though at this point, I'm expecting nothing, would be thrilled wit a 2-4" type graze job, and will hope for magic like the UKMET I guess. 

15 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Same location through MI, but yes it is on the lower end of the scale with QPF, still a decent/good hit but not on the level of other models.

It was on the last few waves too. As we know, the euro QPF was vastly underrepresented in the heavy band and also tracked said band too far north for the Monday event, so it may be too dry and too north here as well. I'd actually weigh on the GFS more here.

10 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

It was on the last few waves too. As we know, the euro QPF was vastly underrepresented in the heavy band and also tracked said band too far north for the Monday event, so it may be too dry and too north here as well. I'd actually weigh on the GFS more here.

Given the “what have you done for me lately” model mentality, the GFS is the one to ride. NAM being a north outlier, with the Euro south and dryer than the consensus 

21 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

12z Euro...  If the first wave misses just north like this, Cedar Rapids is in trouble.  Southern Michigan has consistently been in the wave overlap region, but the models are gradually splitting the waves apart on the west edge of the forum.

ecmwf_acc_precip_greatlakes_108.thumb.png.beb9850cd4375437427a6fec05f5cf94.png

Let's just say "I like where I sit" 

53 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

12z Euro...  If the first wave misses just north like this, Cedar Rapids is in trouble.  Southern Michigan has consistently been in the wave overlap region, but the models are gradually splitting the waves apart on the west edge of the forum.

ecmwf_acc_precip_greatlakes_108.thumb.png.beb9850cd4375437427a6fec05f5cf94.png

So what's the median model snowfall output for Cedar Rapids between the GEM, NAM, GFS, and Euro?

Archived