Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-11th Overrunning Event

Snowstorms

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Funny...my perception is that overrunning events tend to nudge south with time. Lack of any amplifying upper wave/strong pva means any kind of sfc high to north wins out.

Disagree, for around these parts anyways. These are the types of systems that you're sitting pretty looking at 4-8"/6-10" about 12 hours from go time...and then the whole thing shifts north 60 miles at the last minute...and because the snow area is relatively narrow, you're left fighting for scraps. Seen it happen too many times. Good for me I'm not in the running, so no need to sweat that scenario. :D

4 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Disagree, for around these parts anyways. These are the types of systems that you're sitting pretty looking at 4-8"/6-10" about 12 hours from go time...and then the whole thing shifts north 60 miles at the last minute...and because the snow area is relatively narrow, you're left fighting for scraps. Seen it happen too many times. Good for me I'm not in the running, so no need to sweat that scenario. :D

North = bad for you, South = bad for me. Probably our eternal pessimism shining through.

Good to talk to you again Tim. It's been too long. You can take a good long break from this board but it eventually lures you back :arrowhead:

1 minute ago, snowstormcanuck said:

North = bad for you, South = bad for me. Probably our eternal pessimism shining through.

Good to talk to you again Tim. It's been too long. You can take a good long break from this board but it eventually lures you back :arrowhead:

You too Mike.

And lol, I only come back for the snow. Always will be my weakness. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

You too Mike.

And lol, I only come back for the snow. Always will be my weakness. :lol:

I'm basically the same. And even then I post pretty sparingly, especially compared to the 1000 posts/winter I used to author. 

Such a cruel hobby. Beats you down mercilessly, and you come crawling back for more.

41 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

GFS at 6z took a good jog south.

30 minutes ago, mimillman said:

GFS at 6z took a good jog south.

Only flaw in that is that it’s the GFS, lol. I mean I’m not totally giving up on getting something out this event here, but the good stuff will be north. I just need another 1-2” to get to double digits going back to last Sunday, so I’m hoping for that. Regardless, 6z NAM moving into the Euro camp is even further proof for me. But we’ll see...

27 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Only flaw in that is that it’s the GFS, lol. I mean I’m not totally giving up on getting something out this event here, but the good stuff will be north. I just need another 1-2” to get to double digits going back to last Sunday, so I’m hoping for that. Regardless, 6z NAM moving into the Euro camp is even further proof for me. But we’ll see...

You’re out of IKK right? Being as far south as we are is a dangerous game, but I wouldn’t give up hope for this system yet. With the high pressure lurking I wouldn’t be shocked if it wobbled south rather than north. That being said, I’ve seen it go the other way more times that not. Still optimistic though 

Well, the nam did go north. Let’s see if globals budge or not. Not sure how much it applies here, but with the system on Monday the nam was too far north the whole time, and the gfs ended up winning out ironically. Not saying that’s going to be the case here but just something to think about 

Best to use the NAMs as a tool to show the likely intensity of the f-gen banding with this, but at 36+ hours out from snow start time, still probably too early to use it for specific location of banding. Gut feeling is that the 12km is a bit too amped but also feeling increasingly confident in a good hit for the Chicago metro. Considering that Monday's clipper produced 10"+ amounts in IA and tomorrow evening through Friday overrunning will have more moisture to work with and a tighter baroclinic zone, 12"+ amounts appear quite possible just in this period alone. The Kuchera map outputs should perform well as a rough idea for where the banding sets up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Best to use the NAMs as a tool to show the likely intensity of the f-gen banding with this, but at 36+ hours out from snow start time, still probably too early to use it for specific location of banding. Gut feeling is that the 12km is a bit too amped but also feeling increasingly confident in a good hit for the Chicago metro. Considering that Monday's clipper produced 10"+ amounts in IA and tomorrow evening through Friday overrunning will have more moisture to work with and a tighter baroclinic zone, 12"+ amounts appear quite possible just in this period alone. The Kuchera map outputs should perform well as a rough idea for where the banding sets up.

Looks like timing could make for a disastrous commute to and from work on Friday. 

The trend of more separation between the waves and the first's CAA shunting things don't bode as well for Iowa, but don't matter as much for IL. I'd still be satisfied with this system, but it's trending more towards a garden variety WSW as opposed to a real big dog, which was modeled yesterday. Areas in IL where the two waves overlap stand to do very well, unfortunately this overlap zone isn't looking as wide as it once was. 

31 minutes ago, mimillman said:

GFS continues to like the more southern idea jackpotting I-80, just south of the Chicago metro.

22 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

GEM just doubled down on previous run.

1ae8d17463d48633ed95311a880f924c.jpg

Cant really complain about model agreement when we are wiggling back and forth the latitude of Cook Co with the centering of the heaviest snow.

Even moderate ratios, 12-15:1, and we have a great event. Has this wave been sampled yet? 

1 hour ago, UMB WX said:

these type of events love to end up dumping on palm tree's 35 miles north of me.

We've definitely seen these bands lift further north than modeled and dump in these types of scenarios. That said, I'd guess somewhere between Cook County and you will receive the brunt of this. Now I'll keep my mouth shut and watch this develop for a bit.

At this time, looks like a good hit for a good portion of the sub... ~6” with isolated higher amounts seem doable from roughly I-80 to I-94. Since the snow will be falling over the period of 24 hours, I would expect GRR to go with a WWA - Detroit probably following suit. The second wave drops an inch or two from Gary ENE into the Detroit area Saturday into Sunday.

Nice to have a week of systems to track. 

We've definitely seen these bands lift further north than modeled and dump in these types of scenarios. That said, I'd guess somewhere between Cook County and you will receive the brunt of this. Now I'll keep my mouth shut and watch this develop for a bit.
We have a couple counterbalancing factors, the strength of the WAA, tightening baroclinic zone and trying to shunt it north, while at same time cold high pressing in from the northwest. I'd be surprised if sweet spot ends up in WI, feel pretty confident it will be somewhere over northern IL.

10 minutes ago, tuanis said:

Yeah looking very encouraging for south of the border.  I should have stated that when these types of events show the brunt close to me, it just loves to Jackpot the palms in Saukville.    NAM  loves to hang on to the northern most solution almost every event and fails in almost every event this far out.  Just a matter now of how far south in Illinois can get in to the 6+

2 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Yeah looking very encouraging for south of the border.  I should have stated that when these types of events show the brunt close to me, it just loves to Jackpot the palms in Saukville.    NAM  loves to hang on to the northern most solution almost every event and fails in almost every event this far out.  Just a matter now of how far south in Illinois can get in to the 6+

15 miles north of me :D

Northern Indiana Weather Office, after coordination with other local offices, feels pretty confident for a 6-12" snow fall in Northern Indiana/NW OH/ SE MI.  Seems like Winter Storm Watches should follow suit shortly for these areas.  Seems like the snow band would not likely shift too much farther north with the Powerful High North of the stationary front, imo.  We shall see.  

21 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Cant really complain about model agreement when we are wiggling back and forth the latitude of Cook Co with the centering of the heaviest snow.

Even moderate ratios, 12-15:1, and we have a great event. Has this wave been sampled yet? 

Should be partially sampled by tonight, and then the leading energy by tomorrow 12z. We'll get a good idea of the 2nd wave by tomorrow night 0z.  

Should be partially sampled by tonight, and then the leading energy by tomorrow 12z. We'll get a good idea of the 2nd wave by tomorrow night 0z.  

Yeah, was gonna say the north Pac energy will be coming ashore this evening, could be some as soon as late this afternoon, but only partial sampling this evening. There will also be influence from a northern stream trough/wave currently over far northern Canada over the Northwest Territories.

18 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

We have a couple counterbalancing factors, the strength of the WAA, tightening baroclinic zone and trying to shunt it north, while at same time cold high pressing in from the northwest. I'd be surprised if sweet spot ends up in WI, feel pretty confident it will be somewhere over northern IL.

Agree with this, it is these counterbalancing factors that are going to help enhance the frontogenesis even more. I am locked in on your area and my area getting pounded with this one.

NAM makes me a little cautious, but even that is not a total disaster around here.  

Too bad the band of big totals is not wider.  Anyhow, at this point, no reason not to think there will be double digit totals (possibly locally well over a foot) in a narrow corridor.  

2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Yeah, was gonna say the north Pac energy will be coming ashore this evening, could be some as soon as late this afternoon, but only partial sampling this evening. There will also be influence from a northern stream trough/wave currently over far northern Canada over the Northwest Territories.

Given the wave's origins in Canada, the CMC should have a better handle of the upper air dynamics of the leading wave which will ultimately affect the track and rates of this system. As far as I'm concerned, it could nudge ~50 miles north or south based on today's model solutions, but otherwise Iowa and Illinois into Michigan are locked in quite well. 

The Pac energy doesn't fully come onshore by tomorrow afternoon, so maybe tomorrow night we'll get a full sampling of the entire event, no? 

Archived