Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cobalt said:

Is that the same threat where the GFS tried to pop a costal?

Sort of. It's complicated flow with fast flow and tight spacing. I would say it's the same thing in general. Euro is setting up for another potential event towards the end of the run. It's going to be interesting if nothing else. Any one of these has a chance to break right...or vaporize...lol

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Sort of. It's complicated flow with fast flow and tight spacing. I would say it's the same thing in general. Euro is setting up for another potential event towards the end of the run. It's going to be interesting if nothing else. Any one of these has a chance to break right...or vaporize...lol

I personally like how we're in the game for 2 threats (if you still count the Feb 2 as a threat that we're still in the game for), and we're not even towards the most favorable part of the pattern as of yet 

Just now, Cobalt said:

I personally like how we're in the game for 2 threats (if you still count the Feb 2 as a threat that we're still in the game for), and we're not even towards the most favorable part of the pattern as of yet 

The only thing that really grates on me is long periods with literally no chance at anything. I mentioned when this pattern first started showing up that it looked active but not a big storm pattern. Seems to be a good call so far. The Sun-Mon deal could do something. Hard to say. At least it has a southern connection so it will have juice to work with. The progression could even produce a decent overrunning event even if the main show stays suppressed. All we can do it wait and see how things morph over time.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The only thing that really grates on me is long periods with literally no chance at anything. I mentioned when this pattern first started showing up that it looked active but not a big storm pattern. Seems to be a good call so far. The Sun-Mon deal could do something. Hard to say. At least it has a southern connection so it will have juice to work with. The progression could even produce a decent overrunning event even if the main show stays suppressed. All we can do it wait and see how things morph over time.

In the winter were in, I'd take my chances any day/every day with mutlple opps, than hoping for all of the stars to align for any _ECS storm (M/H/B...pick one).

natural progression as we get into mid/late Feb is when I'll start hoping for one of them, as climo says thats when best chances for biggies show up.  

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

It would be mass hysteria if this coastal worked out but didn't have any cold air to work with. No cold to tap and antecedent air mass rots away as it approaches. lol

ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

Despite the MJO being in 7 at the time and the lack of an NAO, the AO, PNA, and EPO all look favorable.  I'd hope for a mix event without the dreaded rain.

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It would be mass hysteria if this coastal worked out but didn't have any cold air to work with. No cold to tap and antecedent air mass rots away as it approaches. lol

ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

GGEM Showed similar last night. I thought we were suppose to be starting into the heart of the cold by Feb 8

FWIW Bernie Rayno is still pretty interested on the Friday event. Good watch for less knowledgeable folks (like myself). Lots of information. Skip to 6:00 if you want to see the main part about the Friday event

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/northeast-snow-monday-night-and-again-late-in-week/f4bzi5yte6o0cnlleinxd2ssq527igk4?SearchForm-input= Northeast snow; Monday night and again late in week

35 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

the one thing I worry about with day 10 maps is temps.  deadly accurate.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

Both Almanacs certainly have this in that date range...one says snow and the other one says...well...this ("periods of rain and snow north, rain south")...mercy. That would certainly send a bunch to the room, smh

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

IMG_3764.thumb.PNG.a063a4ae4c37b87d5567bf7653d62010.PNGJust so people can't say I'm always too positive. Even knowing how bad the ops are seeing this precip patrern on she euro and gfs makes me cringe. 

And a lot of that is rain.  Tough times but we still have to keep tracking or we never get to eat

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The southern stream component is completely gone on the nam. I know it's the nam at range but would it surprise anyone if that's how it ends up. Just a ns wave way to our north and a dry front. 

IMG_3765.thumb.PNG.3bcca5651c45c1f28546e687f772ebaa.PNG

The Euro has been overamped somewhat but it’s hard for me to believe it’s that badly overamped at 90 hours on such a non dynamic system.  My money right now is the NAM is way too flat.  The end result may not be a whole lot different either way though 

We're not losing the precip battle on Friday. We're losing the temp battle. GFS is .25-.40 through much of the region. Just 8 degrees too warm at the beginning. lol

Ack!!! That's a textbook Mid-Atlantic Niña MO...Man I hate Niña years, lol Very hard to score...Lets hope next month doesn't turn into the "warm/wet" month of the winter...(but again, that wouldn't be far from a typical Niña, would it?)

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived