Newest Member
    joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I don’t recall the CFS ever verifying unless a historic warm month occurred.

As you get past the 20th of the proceeding month it can become somewhat useful.  It’s been getting colder and colder for February.  I wouldn't ever use it before the 20th of the incoming month 

The big EPO ridge is getting closer on the EPS...confidence increasing that we're back to winter by 1st week of Feb...and yeah, it looks like ridge migrates east a little so that it becomes more of a PNA ridge...that would be ideal. Looks like the pattern would be ripe for some brutal cold too with a very powerful PV on our side of the globe.

43 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The CFS is slowly losing the SER next month too.  This again could result in support in suppression I think if the PV drops further south.  The GFS and CFS have really wanted that SER in the longer range whenever the -EPO has built in but it’s generally never verified 

except when it verified the strongest ever recorded for January just two weeks ago?

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Including tomorrow we have at least three more cutters. Stop putting lipstick on a pig And deal.  Don’t forget these cold plunges into the plains that will happen, can also initiate cutters too. 

The change in the weekend system is good for ski areas though...they might not ever see much of any warm sector or significant rain...it's like this ugly little super clipper tracking from Montana to international falls to James Bay now...so it's pretty dry. Way better than some of the previous looks where it was further southeast and winding up with the dews and heavy rain. For selfish reasons since I'm trying to get out a few times next month, it would be a better outcome to spare the base from taking much assault.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Enemy.

In all seriousness, maybe you want to call it an inside runner instead? I look at it as warmth, dews, and it’s a slug of rain moving in. Call it what you want, it sucks.

glad I don't live there.

this time of year sometimes things come faster, and the period I am talking about is 8-10 days away.

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

You people are too used to winning.  You don't remember the unbridled joy.  Think Red Sox when you think Eagles fans

According to Scott I'll be tracking a cutter orr insider runner so the SB could be a good distraction.  This for you:  https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/955403570987204609

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The change in the weekend system is good for ski areas though...they might not ever see much of any warm sector or significant rain...it's like this ugly little super clipper tracking from Montana to international falls to James Bay now...so it's pretty dry. Way better than some of the previous looks where it was further southeast and winding up with the dews and heavy rain. For selfish reasons since I'm trying to get out a few times next month, it would be a better outcome to spare the base from taking much assault.

I can’t help but think feb looks pretty good for the ski areas. As long as the cold isn’t bad, should be great. 

4 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

glad I don't live there.

this time of year sometimes things come faster, and the period I am talking about is 8-10 days away.

I mean I just think the pattern sucks all around New England, but maybe it depends on your interests. I can’t find one silver lining, other than the cold after each warmup allows for snow making.

15 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I'm taking the under on 3 cutters.  Tuesday, the weekend, and then I think we flirt with a swfe/miller b redeveloper

I'm on board with that. I think the day 8 - day 10 range will be interesting up here at least for wintry weather. Favoring the latter part of the range, but the teleconnections look good. I'm really hoping the modeled -NAO materializes...

Not a good or bad look on the GEFS, EPS at this range. Far from ideal, but looks like a thread the needle opportunity exists in that range since we don't lock in with a UL ridge overhead, and seasonable cold air-masses are nearby. 8-10 days of transience up here. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Whatever makes you feel better. No lipstick  like Kevin crashing a bachelorette party at Funky Murphys.

I’m perfectly fine. No lipstick on your cheeks like that night. 

It makes it easy to deal with massive cutters with no snow to melt. The folks up north though it’s gonna get rough 

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When this cutter siege is over.. the only places left with snow pack will be ski slopes and far N Maine. It’s as ugly as it gets.. even for NNE

No.

Pattern is transient. Northern Greens, and Whites will have plenty of snowmaking opportunities, cold tucks and back end snows...

I think the white mountain region (base level) may have less than 24 hours above freezing all week....

Archived