Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

3 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

what did ou have otg b4 the early march storm?

Think it was around 15", maybe a little more actually. A glacier really...basically non-compressible. I was a sophomore in college so I wasn't there continuously that winter. Just in small intervals sans winter break. 

Then the early march storm dumped around 27" (think "officially" they had 22" but the final report was posted a solid 8 hours before the snow ended which was always bizarre to me...but that winter was still part of the ASOS disaster years). Then a few days later another 8" of wet snow fell. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

yes that was the gradient winter where being on the ct/ma line paid huge dividends but there was some suspicion that BDL was somewhat inflated...I measured 60 inches that winter in Bristol CT but I do know that the single digit/low teens sleet storm was all heavy snow just north of Hartford so that gave some parts of northern ct a foot more of snow than 20 mi south just that event alone(that is the storm you talk about with the ocean effect snow falling with the sleet)

Dude though, my whole life whether it was Bristol CT or Springfield MA I really just have been crazy unlucky....had I been in Bristol the past 15 years I wouldn't complain about anything...just bad timing

and regardless of what Ryan says, I only had 15-16 inches in Bristol CT in the blizzard of 96 and a two foot total depth.....other places nearby had two feet and depths over 30 inches but I was stuck between bands on that storm and never had rates over 1/hr

I could have sworn Danbury got crushed too, but maybe  I’m wrong. They did get nailed in Feb that year. 

Up through '93-'94, that was the greatest winter I experienced since growing up in Kalamazoo Michigan through the infamous 1977-1978 winter there, which sported all the glory you guys had here ..sans the popularity do to population scarcity. 

I don't know what it did in your backyards...?  but where I was between UML and Acton Mass 1993-1994, we had about 80". It was an odd winter because Logan had some of the higher totals compared to midriff MiddleSex Co, which usually clocks in pretty good.  It was amazing as a nickle dime winter, one that was unrelenting for some seven or eight straight weeks starting just about a week past Xmass... I don't recall "blockbusters"  Just  4-6" every three days forever -

hyperbole but that was the deal.  We did have a couple of transient thaws in single storm events in latter January but Feb was not slouch and I think it snowed in March too.  

Now the next year?  1994-1995 may as well be stricken from the space time continuum as just a non-existence block.  I would say the 2012 winter surpasses in futile sucktitude but... at least in 2012 we got the inimitable specter of a snowbomb before Halloween. That unfortunately for rotten-tomatoes puts it in second place - 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Man, GFS has been steadfast with the cutter, really very little changes over multiple runs. 

Meh, that ship sailed a few runs ago ...  Tedious as it may be, folks really into this stuff are in hope for protracting some ice or light mix as a moral victory at best...  The 18z NAM is yanking chains...

As far as "other than a Lakes cutter" ...hope no one's actually cracking cycles open looking for that - ...

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Up through '93-'94, that was the greatest winter I experienced since growing up in Kalamazoo Michigan through the infamous 1977-1978 winter there, which sported all the glory you guys had here ..sans the popularity do to population scarcity. 

I don't know what it did in your backyards...?  but where I was between UML and Acton Mass, we had about 80". It was an odd winter because Logan had some of the higher totals compared to midriff MiddleSex Co, which usually clocks in pretty good.  It was amazing as a nickle dime winter, one that was unrelenting for some seven or eight straight weeks starting just about a week past Xmass... I don't recall "blockbusters"  Just  4-6" every three days forever -

hyperbole but that was the deal.  We did have a couple of transient thaws in single storm events in latter January but Feb was not slouch and I think it snowed in March too.  

Now the next year?  1994-1995 may as well be stricken from the space time continuum as just a non-existence block.  I would say the 2012 winter surpasses in futile sucktitude but... at least in 2012 we got the inimitable specter of a snowbomb before Halloween. That unfortunately for rotten-tomatoes puts it in second place - 

That winter started right before NY. Dec 29. That was an all out overachiever. The forecast was like 1-3 for BOS and 3-6 South. I believe BOS had 10" and I had like 13 in Brockton. Maybe even 14" It was a fluff bomb...the best flakes I can recall in a long time. No wind, and maybe even some CF or OE enhancement, but I'm not sure. We were driving back from my grandparents in Boston and it was not a fun ride. I just remember being ecstatic in the one...massive overachiever.

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That winter started right before NY. Dec 29. That was an all out overachiever. The forecast was like 1-3 for BOS and 3-6 South. I believe BOS had 10" and I had like 13 in Brockton. Maybe even 14" It was a fluff bomb...the best flakes I can recall in a long time. No wind, and maybe even some CF or OE enhancement, but I'm not sure. We were driving back from my grandparents in Boston and it was not a fun ride. I just remember being ecstatic in the one...massive overachiever.

Stroker in back seat?

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't know what it did in your backyards...?  but where I was between UML and Acton Mass 1993-1994, we had about 80". It was an odd winter because Logan had some of the higher totals compared to midriff MiddleSex Co, which usually clocks in pretty good.  It was amazing as a nickle dime winter, one that was unrelenting for some seven or eight straight weeks starting just about a week past Xmass... I don't recall "blockbusters"  Just  4-6" every three days forever -

I had 78"...solid winter, but not epic snowfall wise.

41 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That was a good one but most places suffered bare ground for a good chunk of January.

Not here near a foot beginning of month , 9 days straight with at least a trace falling, days and days of snow for real . The max depth 12 minimum was 8 inches all month after the 3rd. FEB was ridiculous Ended up with only 7 days without snow cover, all in Dec, of at least 1 inch OTG  from Nov 27th to March 20th.  My best cover to cover winter ever

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

see now 80 sounds spot on to me for those towns that winter, I always wondered if like BDL, Logan had some slanting going on

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I had 85 in 94, 86 in 03 but much better cold and retention 03. Classic south of pike January was the deal breaker

Jan was great north of the pike in 03 too. It sucked on the coast. Other than the early Dec 02 event...I had nothing until early Feb really. Still racked up 80" or so that winter (02-03)

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Jan was great north of the pike in 03 too. It sucked on the coast. Other than the early Dec 02 event...I had nothing until early Feb really. Still racked up 80" or so that winter (02-03)

Where I lived in Brookline village we did ok 12/25/02 to the extent that we ended up with several inches.  Same deal in the system right after New Years 2003.

Archived