Newest Member
    joxey
January 2018 Model Discussion Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Enigma said:

GEFS/GFS are out to lunch. Many give GEFS more respect than they deserve. Both GEFS/GFS are having difficulty with the phase and STJ vort. Our tax dollars at terrible use.

Most people don't even use the GFS.  Even our media outlets admit they use the Euro and just show the GFS for comparison.

8 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That would obviously be the best case scenario. But we just barely made that. A somewhat muted result like that but 100 miles east out over eastern LI is a better bet for this one.

There's a good chance that even eastern LI will be out of the big snows.

Big thing with this storm will be the below 0 historically cold air it brings down on strong winds.

Big thing with this storm will be the below 0 historically cold air it brings down on strong winds.

You have three pieces of energy at play here. You have equal chances a miss and hit at this point.

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:
2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

You have three pieces of energy at play here. You have equal chances a miss and hit at this point.

Sure but that double barreled structure is going to be an issue.  If that somehow doesn't happen, then it's game on.

Yes and I believe the models didn’t pick up on it until the 12z suite on Friday. Snow began falling on Sunday morning 
I also remember a storm in 2003 that was forecast to miss the area and wound up being 24+" of snow to the Area. I'll never forget listening to 1010 wins and the meteorologist saying that the HP was too strong and was going to shunt this storm east. It rode up the coast.

11 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
28 minutes ago, weathermedic said:
 Yes and I believe the models didn’t pick up on it until the 12z suite on Friday. Snow began falling on Sunday morning 

I also remember a storm in 2003 that was forecast to miss the area and wound up being 24+" of snow to the Area. I'll never forget listening to 1010 wins and the meteorologist saying that the HP was too strong and was going to shunt this storm east. It rode up the coast.

I think that was PD2 you're talking about.

It was there on the models and then it was gone and then it came back.

We had forecasts of 6-12 inches originally and they just kept going up until the end of the storm when accumulations were at 18-24" for most of the area and 24-30" for southern and eastern parts of the city and long island.

We get our biggest storms in mod-strong El Ninos, all the 20+ storms for my area at least have been during mod-strong El Ninos except for Jan 1996, which was 20+ everywhere in our area.

Archived