Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Russian Popups?

Casualbrain

2 hours ago, Wow said:

Ok. Yes, the guest box with a couple of ads should be there.

The popups after clicking links was the big clue.  Had an old account called Viglink still running that alters link redirects for certain key words. I've removed the old script.. I guess someone had hacked the old code and injecting the malicious crap into them.

Just tested, it's not fixed.

The malicious code is hard to find as it is encrypted and appears under certain conditions only.

The malicious code looks like this (virus is framed red)

447F1C15-D8A9-4452-912E-32CB39E8CE96.thumb.png.01d9f1e21e9cf60d52e80ee3b0c769d1.png

Usually it is injected in the main template (in the database) and in the template cached copy (in the file)

The malicious code can be detected by searching for “strstr($mds”, “preg_replace($i” or “#c#.substr” within database dump or skin cache files.

Forum administrators should remove the code from the database and then clean skin cache to completely remove the malware from the site.

Do not delete the code in cached skins only as it’ll appear again upon cache rebuild.

I never cleared the cache so that may be the issue.  Just did.  At worst all I ever got was a single pop-up on first click of any link while logged out and ad block disabled. Thereafter, never got anything.  Seems it acts differently for everyone.

1 hour ago, birdsofprey02 said:

Nice, thank you...  was it anything similar to what I posted above?  

It wasn't php code, but a modified HTML language that the template bits use to eval php scripts.  Located just before the closing body tag.  Originated from Ukraine based on the IP who hacked into the CP and inserted the code. 

3 hours ago, Wow said:

It wasn't php code, but a modified HTML language that the template bits use to eval php scripts.  Located just before the closing body tag.  Originated from Ukraine based on the IP who hacked into the CP and inserted the code. 

Nice! Do you know how they got into the CP? (known exploits, default username/password, etc.) and can we confirm there was nothing else comprised like account passwords?

18 hours ago, Snowden said:

Nice! Do you know how they got into the CP? (known exploits, default username/password, etc.) and can we confirm there was nothing else comprised like account passwords?

The CP logs record every action of anyone who logs into yur CP and all that was done was throwing alteration to the global template coding.  All accounts with access to CP have new passwords in place and additonal security measures have been taken as well.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, nzucker said:

Why do we need pop-ups at all?

Pathetic cash grab.

Well this site doesn't pay for itself.  Costs money to develop and host monthly.  So either you go with ads or you set up a monthly subscription to access.  The owners of this board chose the former.  This being said, all your concerns are duly noted and have been passed on so they can be rectified.

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Well this site doesn't pay for itself.  Costs money to develop and host monthly.  So either you go with ads or you set up a monthly subscription to access.  The owners of this board chose the former.  This being said, all your concerns are duly noted and have been passed on so they can be rectified.

what was wrong with donation drives?