Newest Member
    joxey
December 12 Winter storm observations

STILL N OF PIKE

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ORH_wxman said:

That won't do much to the snow pack though at least...your wetbulb should really be above about 36-37 to get melting accelerating beyond a very slow drip.

Don’t water molecules start to take on a hexagonal arrangement around +3C or +4C? I thought I remember learning that in chemistry. Maybe that explains the 37Fish cutoff as to when the pack starts to get obliterated.

Ha, CAD fail on the models

ASUS41 KGYX 121705
RWRGYX
WEATHER ROUNDUP FOR MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
1200 PM EST TUE DEC 12 2017

MEZ002-005-006-010-012-015-018-020-021-024-026-027-029-121800-
MAINE

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
PORTLAND       LGT SNOW  23  20  88 VRB6      29.71F VSB 3/4
SANFORD        LGT SNOW  22  20  92 N8        29.68F FOG
BAR HARBOR     FLURRIES  28  26  92 NE8       29.79F
WISCASSET      LGT SNOW  22  19  89 VRB3      29.74F FOG
ROCKLAND       CLOUDY    30  28  92 NE9       29.74F
FRYEBURG       SNOW      19  17  92 N6        29.71F VSB 1/2
LEWISTONAUBURN LGT SNOW  17  15  92 N13       29.72F VSB 3/4 WCI   4
AUGUSTA        LGT SNOW  17  13  84 N10       29.74F VSB 3/4 WCI   5
WATERVILLE     LGT SNOW  16  12  86 NE9       29.72F FOG
BANGOR         LGT SNOW  19  16  88 NW10      29.82F VSB 3/4 WCI   7
GREENVILLE       N/A     15  13  91 E7        29.71F
MILLINOCKET    SNOW      12   8  84 N6        29.84F VSB 1/4
HOULTON        LGT SNOW  14  11  87 NE6       29.86F VSB 3/4
PRESQUE ISLE   SNOW       9   5  84 NE6       29.90F VSB 1/2
FRENCHVILLE    LGT SNOW   6   2  83 E8        29.87F VSB 3/4
CARIBOU        LGT SNOW  11   5  77 NE6       29.88F VSB 3/4
$$

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Don’t water molecules start to take on a hexagonal arrangement around +3C or +4C? I thought I remember learning that in chemistry. Maybe that explains the 37Fish cutoff as to when the pack starts to get obliterated.

Yeah the crystal structure changes...I'm not a total expert on the actual physics of why, but I know that wetbulb temp typically works really well. Walt Drag used to use that benchmark too when talking any snow melt into rivers/streams.

It's why we don't really fear those 44/21 days...the wetbulb isn't that high on those days so the snow melts slowly....but we really hate the 44/44 rainstorms.

Just now, WxBlue said:

Rain/snow line pretty much locking onto MA/NH border for now. DAW/PSM still in mid 20s with light to moderate snowfall rate.

It’s made it past Salem and Derry on the RWIS sites. I can’t tell if it’s made it back to ASH yet...vis is up to 1 1/2SM there despite the -SN. Maybe some mixing? I’m hoping to slide that max column 0C just to my SE this afternoon.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

It’s made it past Salem and Derry on the RWIS sites. I can’t tell if it’s made it back to ASH yet...vis is up to 1 1/2SM there despite the -SN. Maybe some mixing? I’m hoping to slide that max column 0C just to my SE this afternoon.

Also got report of rain falling in Hampton per co-worker, but that was a hour ago. Warm air surge is barely moving north.

Just now, dendrite said:

Coworker said it flipped in Auburn a few minutes ago

Still holding out at 32.4. The water drops hanging on the trees has that unique look as if it's almost frozen. I believe it was 9 years ago today when it had that same look, except I was on the other side of 32. So close to accretion right now. I actually have it accreting on my north facing concrete steps. As for the pack loss, it's really only gaining density. The ice patches in my driveway are still there. 

As for water at 4 deg C:

"These effects are due to the reduction of thermal motion with cooling, which allows water molecules to form more hydrogen bonds that prevent the molecules from coming close to each other.[33] While below 4 °C the breakage of hydrogen bonds due to heating allows water molecules to pack closer despite the increase in the thermal motion (which tends to expand a liquid), above 4 °C water expands as the temperature increases.[33]Water near the boiling point is about 4% less dense than water at 4 °C (39 °F).[35][e]"

31 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

maybe 1". 17F

About the same in Augusta, with identical temp (at noon), and now back to teeny flakelets.  Maybe Chris's qpf caution was right.  Unless those upstream echoes bulk up, I doubt my place will reach warning criteria unless ratios are north of 15:1.  As long as it's all frozen, I won't complain.

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Its a race, with the good echoes to our west.  An area of weaker returns in sw nh but so far we keep redeveloping returns to our s and ssw that come over us.  Would be nice to get into a steady period of heavy snow again.  7" on the ground here so I'm thinking I'm at 4 or a bit more now.

Archived