Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

• H2O pinned this topic
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two observations for this event...one of the metrics that I use for identifying how warm/cold things are just off the surface is the Camp David (KRSP) AWOS.  It sits at an elevation of 1,841 feet which can give you a hint as to what temps are just off the surface.  Right now it's sitting at 28/16, while Frederick (FDK) and Leesburg (JYO) are at 37 degrees.  To me that's a good sign as it shows it won't take long to get down below 32.  Another point is the Road Weather Information System (RWIS) temp sensors that I have access to at work are showing road temps at 38 - 43 degrees...that's off a regional average of around 50 degrees yesterday.  Having the thick cloud cover today really muted the sunshine and it's ability to keep the road temps up.  Should be a good deal of slippery spots tomorrow even on the well traveled roads.

Light Snow in Roanoke VA now. LOTS of Virga - can't see the mountains because of it, but some observable precip coming as snow currently.

Hi/LoTemp:    39.6°F/33.9°F
Temp:    33.9°F  and falling
Wind:    3.0 mph SSW
Gust (hr.):    7.0 mph SSW 12:42PM
Dew  Pt:    28.3°F 
Humidity:    80 
Pressure:    29.982 in. and falling

Fwiw, if we can score on this, it would be nice - it has been a slow start a lot of places, to wit (per Matt Lanza on twitter):

2017 Seasonal Snowfall (thru Fri AM)

Syracuse 5.2"
College Station 5.0"
Denver 2.8"
San Antonio 1.9"
Buffalo 1.9"
Austin 1.3"
Corpus Christi 1.0"
Houston 0.7"
Seattle 0.4"
Chicago 0.1"
Boston Trace

7 minutes ago, Beachin said:

Heading up 13 from Exmore rain and sleet now few flakes mixing in. friend said its sleet and snow in pokomoke 
38 degrees here

Hey wow a poster from the slower lower.  i know that area very well.  Family has a place down 183.  Battle Point to be exact.

Archived